WHERE HAVE THE OLD F-CHATTERS GONE??? | FerrariChat

WHERE HAVE THE OLD F-CHATTERS GONE???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by BWS550, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HAVENT HEARD FROM THE FOLLLOWING F-CHATTERS IN ABOUT A YEAR...ANYBODY CAN ADD NAMES AND REASONS FOR NOT BEING HERE.....

ED GAULT---FED UP WITH FERRARI REPAIRS AND NOW A STRICKLY CORVETTE MAN

MAGOO---HAD HEALTH ISSUES AND NOW ENJOYING LIFE

DAVE FEINBERG-----I SEE HIM ON FERRARI-TALK

JRV---------GONE TO HIS OWN DOMAIN....

BRET.........STILL WORKING ON HIS 308 AT CLASSIC COACH....

ANYBODY ELSE???

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Bruce:

What about DAve? My concern is that we're seeing the site taken over by kids without the Ferrari.

Art

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ART

YOUR 100% CORRECT, YES I DO MISS HIM, BUT HE IS OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS.....TIME WILL TELL, BUDDY

4. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I've noticed that too, Art. And they all seem to be F experts.

I appreciate all the new F-Chatters & enthusiasts but it's too bad there can't be an under 21 section where they can offer their expert advice... to each other.

Or possibly an owners-only section (which could be read-only for the young guys)... of which I would no longer be a member. :(

5. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I agree, it is a bit of an issue. There have been some of the most vile posts recently and many are way too personal. Some kid (28 years old, thought he as an experienced man of the world) sent me some truly ugly personal stuff filled with profanity in my private message area and I almost decided that I had had enough. But my love for these crazy cars keeps me comming back. It does seem that some of the younger guys are the most aggressive. I have learned a great deal from you guys and really don't want to see all the silly stuff. At least when the more "experienced" guys disagree, for the most part we are respectful. Take Art for example, we can't be more further apart in our political views but I respect and appreciate him as an intellegent, informed and rational guy. Looking forward to getting together some day. Feel the same way about Bruce and others as well. How can we keep it more FERRARI oriented? I'm open. (Watch me get flamed on this post)

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Bruce I too miss the guys you mention. Ed Gault was one of my favorites. Magoo as well and Bret too.

I wish Dave would come back also, but I understand his reasons.

Art, Bob, and J.Scott have a good point. There are getting to be a lot of very aggressive people here. It does nothing for the ambience here, that is certain.

I don't think an owner's only area is the greatest idea as most of us drift in and out of ownership over the years. I'm currently without. Also, we would lose lots of valuable contribution from those who don't own, but have vast knowledge to share.

I think most of this site content is Ferrari related. Personally, I would hate to see the off-topic section go away as it is by far my favorite area.

An interesting idea might be an area in which only tenure or a community vote grants you access. Maybe a section for people who have been here a year or two or who have proven themselves to not be an a$$ to enough people to win a vote.

Anybody else remember when the most heated discussions were political ones and nobody flamed anyone or used unnecessary language?

I know most of these problems are associated with the rapid growth of FChat and I hope that Rob's subscription fee will squelch most of this.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am not an owner.... and i am no "kid" , but i am very sorry to hear some one sent you a ugly PM. there have been some things going on here that are not desireable, but with the expansion and new software it could be worse. from one of the non owner " regular guys" i am sorry you have a bad expierience, i am glad you chose to stay. when we go " pay to play" things should be much better. michael

8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I was a lurker for over a year before I signed on in Nov of 2002, so I remember all of the old guys (and gals- don't forget Nika). It was a different board then, and even when I signed on.

I don't know about a ferrari owners section only. We have some members, that while young, are real Tifosi (take Jordan, for instance). Also, my first post here was as a non-owner, looking for tips on where to find a nice GT4. So, I do believe that non-owners are a good thing for the board.

It seems like there are lots of new guys who just want to post on any thread, just to get their post count up. So you see people who joined in Jan 2004, with 800 posts (Ok, maybe a little exaggeration here, but you get the idea). These posts generally don't add anything useful to the board. Maybe we should eliminate the post count feature?

Thank god they generally don't post in the tech section, so at least there is one pure area where there is still a lot to be learned.

I'm looking forward to the pay site, and hoping that it will get rid of some of the riff raff.

I hope maranelloman comes back as well.

Dom

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :) I think some of you are too romantic for the old times. They weren't that good. I won't go into names, but several of those you listed were as big of problems as the current problems (we have 20 times the numbers of users too). I think much of it has to do if people aren't happy and don't want to be here really, then it shows in their participation as negative energy one way or another. Maybe a few others need to take their lead. ;)

As addressing the young guns. There are many positives like passion, energy, and new perspectives with them. However, the negatives of everything that come with immaturity can be a strain on the community. Anyone remember BretM from the first year? He was the biggest pain in the ass, but with a little community influence and maturity became a very valued user.

We'll see shortly if the subscriptions start filtering out those that really don't want to be here. Old or young. I think it will.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hey Bruce..maybe they are on your disc? Let me check...:eek:)
    Sam

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looking at my info, I joined 10-31-2003, and have 1,600+ posts. Does this make me a bad person or detract from the board?

12. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Have to agree with you there, since I been trolling here since inception... But it did feel like a smaller close knit community in the early days...

But, I have to admit, it's much better than what www.expensivecar.com was... Sometimes I wouldn't see a new post in a week..

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey everyone...

You know i feel this site is really great compared to other sites... ya theres kids running their mouths about what they read in Road and Track etc...there might be the occasional vulgar comments...and that big racist anti semetic thread with allan and everyone lol that was sort of funny...but compare it to other sites....whoa i am impressed...i posted some pictures of me sitting in a 348 i had on at one time on automotive forums and i recieved like 12 PM's that included "F*** you, you rich Fa**ot blah blah...." you get the point..hahaha we dont have that problem... from what ive seen...if it ever got bad...i wouldnt mind paying for a fee to be a member and i dont think any of you would either... it would be exclusive which is cool....

my 2 cents lol

- JT

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jerry,

Yes the number of posts you have is quite disturbing.. As i am trying to figure out how you passed me :D

I would have to agree that there are a few users here that seem to want to post to every thread. But i guess that is what the 1st amendment is all about.
    As long as it fits the rules of this site i guess all is good:)

Rob

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I consider myself 2nd generation fchat. I was a member of the old site for a while and the new site, decent post count, not too bad. :)

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My screen name used to be COUNTACHXX

I havent heard from Michael N in at least a year. I''ll have to call him this summer

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Gee, Bruce, when you think about it, what about the neo-Nazi guy that interjected hate in every post; the flame wars after Sept.11 and all the knuckle-headed political debates that were fun, but, well... you get my drift. Its change. Are you sure that the new blood is not good? Look at people who have joined since this place expanded, from G. Rousch and L.Wayne and Old Guy and Jim G. to a whole new coterie of people who get pissed off at Allan Lambo. Some day, we'll all be sitting on rocking chairs on some porch, remembering the good old days when we actually had to type our thoughts on a keyboard, and press "post" to communicate in kludgey internet message forums....

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Hi Bruce.

I was hear B4 DES/NNO !

19. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Rob may argue in my case, but not all the young guys are bad.

Some are owners now, but they were all enthusiasts at one point.

20. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Jeez, seems like some hatred toward the younger crowd. I'm not necessarily sure it has to do with the age, as I know there are a lot of young people on here who do perfectly well with communicating and their contributions.

I feel sorry for the people that are harassed through PM and such but I urge you to please not take it personally. Maybe I am just resilient in my young age but I have to say that there are stupid people in this world - ignore them. It is too short (life) to worry about what they have to say. I would hate to lose great members because of things like that.

21. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Over the past years, I have participated in 4, possibly 5, chat rooms related to Ferraris (I'm lucky to remember how to type Ferrari, much less how many forums I've been in). Observations on this experience:

Initial group of members are very focussed, esp on technical discussions

Increased participation results in a more diverse membership with broader interests, opinions, and threads.

Sooner or later, some apparently innocent topic lights off a surprisingly acrimonious thread, e.g. HP versus torque, that eventually becomes personal at some level.

People leave...and some come back

Sooner or later, a thread starts on 'the good old days' and how to get it back.

Many who leave join one of the forums that is earlier on this above evolution.

The forum loses energy, participation, and (often) focus on Ferraris. More people head somewhere else.

and the cycle repeats...

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think this is likely a result of the demographics of the internet: most people online are 'younger' non-Ferrari owners!

23. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    You old stupid bastard.

I sent you the PM because I didn't want to continue the name calling that your geriatric f*ckin' ass started out in the open.

I guess I really hurt your feelings. Give me your address and I'll send you some Ben-Gay for your dusty emotions.

Stupid old f*ck.

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    It sounds like a song.........

Im still here. I came from the "original Ferrari List" of which I still am a member. I like the tech area here as it is more focused. I have been flamed here but nothing will deter my love and passion for Ferrari. I fear not man or god but the wrath of ENZO!!! :) As for non owners.... i cannot understand them, with the price of a good GT4 less than a honda, how can you live without the one you love..... I will never be Ferrariless again.... once was enough!!!!!!
    priorities.... priorities.........priorities.........

I will stay as long as Steve M. and Ric R. my heroes!

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey Nibbly Bibbly,

You missed your calling. There is an opening at the Happy Acres elder care facility around the corner. Do you want me to print this and put in a good word for you, bud?

DL