The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 392 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Ahhh but it's so entertaining if you drop in from time to time.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Who are you talking about?

3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    There will be an article on 0846 in the Wall Street Journal

4. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

They found it?

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    followed up by a piece on CNN??? :)

6. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

He is talking about me. But what he fails to realize is that my quotes were very deliberate but subtle put-downs of another poster.

He seems to think I am serious when I say that "I acknowledge his e-mail . . . " and little does he realize the irony of recognizing a guy I have on 'ignore' because the guy pestered me by private e-mail.

Obviously, I am dealing with a Hundai owner, so does it really matter what he says.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The art of brevity.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I don't know if you are trolling... but... you really seem to value people based on what they drive... and placing an insult as "hundai" which... not to be ******... again... you misspelled LOL. I hate when people correct others spelling or grammar but... since you are being ******... I guess. I might as well join in the fun.

9. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Well, at least we know that Hundai drivers know how to spell the name of their car. Good for you.

And I find it incredible that you keep taking the bait. I have misspelled this word, what, maybe 4 or 5 times and each time you correct me? OK, I get it, you drive a Hundai.

10. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well...you make Paul and Vincent look like reasonable adults. You admit to throwing bait. You are not improving or even contributing to any reasonable content within this thread. Sam Walton drove a crappy old pick up truck, but his son owns a 250GTO. I don't believe that you are superior because you don't drive a Hyundai...you seem to believe that, though. If that's what gets you through the day, I feel sorry for those around you.

11. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I can't be bothered to plough through nearly 15k posts but it seems that your natural home is 'Politics & Religion' and I have yet to find any contribution of value to Ferrari knowledge or discussion. Perhaps you should stay where you are comfortable.

Many contributors to this thread hold passionate opinions - whichever side of the argument they favour - but I doubt anyone is interested in your juvenile posts. And, incidentally, some of the most knowledeable members of this group do not have the priviledge of owning a Ferrari!

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The above two posts are the most offensive I have ever seen on Fchat. I don't know anybody who thinks this way -- and I'm pretty sure that if I did know somebody who thought that way, they would still have the discretion and decency to not make those statements about a specific person on a public forum.

Justin's comments were never about Range Rover versus Land Rover, or about the spelling of a car name, it's impossible for me to believe you don't get that. It's even more difficult for me to understand that you still don't get it many posts and weeks later. His comments were about the incredible arrogance of stating, as fact, that somebody's opinion should be discounted based upon the car they drive. That is an unsupportable and horribly offensive mindset.

13. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Small hands, perhaps?

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The above post is also indefensible. Either find the post where he flamed you, or withdraw your accusation and apologize to Steve. Period. The only reason this issue is on the table is because you brought it up, so the ball is unambiguously in your court to support your own argument. Steve had the discretion to contact you privately, which I think most people would view as "taking the high road", but you have spun it into a negative. The whole "I have time to write paragraphs denigrating others on superficial BS, but I don't have time to support my own accusation" doesn't wash.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wayne? Rob? Bueller? It's time to put this one out to the pasture. You don't need it anymore for page views, and it has turned into a junior-high school class president throwdown. On one side, you have people who like Glickenhaus; on the other side, they don't. If someone contacts you with real info, you can always start another thread, but nothing lasts forever.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

HA HA HA HA! Thank you! i thought I was losing my mind! Im glad someone sees my point. Clearly this other guy doesn't.

It isn't about what you own, or choose to own. This is a community of enthusiasts and some people have great things to bring to the table and some don't. Some people have 1 crappy car... some have 200 amazing cars. It doesn't matter

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Please don't close the thread. Id just ask for more enforcement and/or keeping it in the lane.

We can ignore and not engage the idiots. I am guilty of engaging stupid every now and then.

Even though I have a pretty good determination of what 0846 is or isn't... I don't think the thread should be closed. I think Napolis should have an open opportunity to post a counter argument to Steves findings. I think it is only fair.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Glickenhaus, or anybody else for that matter, can start a new thread anytime they want. But this thread is just a festering sore. When was the last time, anyone posted anything new?

19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am curious to see the Wall Street Journal version of the story. Whenever it does come out hopefully someone will post it here.

20. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

I have had personal contact with Napolis. And I stated that I thought his opinion of Napolis was wrong. And I based that opinion on my supposition that I had more personal contact with Napolis than he had ever had with Napolis. And you consider that this post of mine is one of the most offensive you have ever seen on F-Chat? I say this seriously: you need to get out more.

GEEZ, when did our society get so sensitive that such trivial things bespeak a "horribly offensive mindset."

My post is entirely defensible. I have him on "Igonre." In order to go back and find the ones where he flammed me I would have to remove him from Ignore and then sort through thousands of posts. Why, you might ask, would I put him on Ignore in the first place? I have just a very few people on Ignore. And each was put there because of a specific comment (or a series of comments) which I determined were over the line and I simply no longer valued reading their opinions. (Aside: I don't have Flash or Chrisinsb on Ignore and I disagree with virtually everything they say--but they are polite, reasonable and fair in their arguments.)

If you think his private e-mail was taking the high road, then you didn't read it. And drawing a conclusion on an e-mail you never read is, er, um, indefensible.

++++

Let's understand one thing here. Sarcasm does not translate well when one types. But somebody needs to call it straight here. People have actually come on this board and have accused Napolis of perpetuating a 30 to 40 million dollar con. Some of us have stated our opinion that we do not believe that (1) Napolis is conning anyone, and (2) we don't think a guy of Napolis' character and temperament would con anyone.

Could he be mistaken and that mistake be an honest one? Of course, anyone can make a mistake. But to suggest that he had some sinister plot to defraud the entire community? That's a stretch, if you ask me.

If any of you had any interaction with Napolis either on this thread or in any other forum, you would find him to be a gracious to a fault and exceedingly nice. He is generous with his cars and his time.

Let me try this a different way . . . many of you think I am wrong about a lot of things. And I admit I am often wrong. Heck, I could be wrong about Napolis and he could be one of history's greatest con men--but I don't think so. But . . . But have you examined your own opinion of things (including Napolis' story) and thought you just might be wrong? You could be, you know.

21. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    IF this thread is closed, please make sure to move it to "Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies" where it belongs before doing so!

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

lets get this understood as you say...

Jim opened himself up to this. 100% his doing. 100%.

If this were ANY other internet forum... more than half of the board would have had terrible and nasty things to say about him (and probably his entire lineage and his dog and his cat and his pet fish etc...)

This forum has treated Jim with a great deal of respect and it has been well moderated. Of course there is always going to be some bad apples. For example some people will take digs at people over what car they drive or perhpas insinuate they driver a lesser car as a way to pitifully establish dominance in a losing argument. It happens. It is the internet. People can be key board warriors and say things with little consequence. Its unfortunate but it is true.

All that being said, Jim has been greatly supported on this website and has a fantastic following.

The people who have been trying to prove that Jims car isn't 0846 left the insults out. They posted photographic evidence and did some real investigation.

There is nothing wrong with that and THAT is exactly what this thread is for. It has been derailed for the last 5 or possibly 10 pages now.

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9798 peterp, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    1. Demeaning somebody, or trying to lessen the weight of their opinion, based on the car they own has no place on this forum (or anywhere else).

2. Nobody cares that you must have put him on ignore for some reason. If you are going to make an accusation about somebody, and you don't recall the details yourself at the time you are making it, then the right thing to do is to go back and refresh yourself on the details before you post that accusation. If you don't have time to do that, or it's not worth your time, then you simply should not make the accusation in the fist place.

Now that you have posted the accusation, and the target disagrees, and nobody else has chimed in to say they remember that happening, the ball is in your court to support your own argument. You owe Steve a reference to the incident, or you owe him an apology. Your comment about the incident is pretty specific ("He actually flamed me for a genteel comment that was not even directed at him"), so I don't know how you can make that specific statement but not have any recollection of the actual incident or not have enough information to find it in a quick search.

3. A lot of people on this forum know Jim personally, or have at least had a nontrivial conversation with Jim, because at every event I have seen him at, he is very giving of his time to anyone with a genuine interest in cars/racing/Ferraris/etc. (and very much regardless of what brand of vehicle transported them to the event).

4. Your portrayal of the world being against Jim is simply not accurate or reflective of what has happened in this thread. Almost everybody was on Jim's side from the start and throughout large portions of the thread. There were a few dissenters from day one, but they are basing that on their own experiences outside this thread that they won't or can't share. The vast majority have been for Jim throughout, they were only begrudgingly dragged to the other side because of clear evidence presented that hasn't been countered. I personally would like for Jim to be right and I have no opinion on whether he is or not because I still don't think I know enough myself to have a meaningful opinion. I think most people also want Jim's car to be 0846 because that would be the best possible outcome from a historical preservation standpoint, but it's become impossible for most people who have hung with the thread to overlook evidence that hasn't (yet) been countered with anything. It's good that the thread stays open so that the opportunity counter is always available.

24. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

I disagree with this. Some of the most emotional posts have come from the Anti-0846 side.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with facts and honest disagreement, but if you have not seen venom spewing from the Anti-0846 side, then you are not paying attention.

Taking your points in order:

1. Obviously you missed the posts about sarcasm and a guy who repeated corrects me for misspelling Hundai (even thought I posted that I misspelled it the second and third and fourth times on purpose). Having said that, we make judgments on people all the time about the cars they drive. Like the posts about the guys who turns a Fiero into a 308, or the guys who paint their 599s in a silver/chrome paint. Or Bernie Sanders' fake Audi. I have had people call me ****** because I drove a 911.

2. I don't owe him an apology and I am not going to give it. And if you think all of his posts are genteel, you have a strange view of things.

3. Great.

4. That's why we have this thread. Any further tit-for-tat between the two of us is redundant.

25. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
    Its time too go----needs to be at the bottom of your page?