456 Buying Advice?? | FerrariChat

456 Buying Advice??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dan_London, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here, seeking some buying advice. I'm seriously considering buying a 456, having lusted after one for years and the prices here in the UK having now come within my range - £50K now buys up to a 98 MY.

I currently have a 93' 928GTS and prior to that had an 97' 840ci, a 928 S4 and a series of 944s.

Question - Am I going to find Ferrari ownership a real pain in build quality terms, after all the years of German car ownership? Other Porsche owners have always been keen to warn me against turning to 'the dark red side' but I wonder how much truth there is in it, I get the impression from reading past threads that the V12 cars are built to much higher standards than the V8s?

Checklist - from reading past posts I've come up with the following list of things to check when buying a 456...

1) Side windows - is there a history of trouble, have they had 'the fix', what are the gaps like?
    2) Rear shocks - any evidence of leaking?
    3) Radiator - recent replacement, evidence of grounding wear?
    4) Last cambelt change?
    5) Rear window layer separation/leakage?

Anything else anyone can think of? Any general buying advice? Do these cars suffer from rust at all? Porkers are galvanised so I've never had to worry about that.

Auto or manual? You'll see from my previous cars that I like big beefy autos, but it seems wrong to have an auto Ferrari - surely stirring it is part of the fun? But does having a heavy clutch turn it into a short-distance runner? What's the kick-down like on a GTA?

There's a black 95' 456GT at a Porsche dealers, which I may view this week, so any general buying advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dan
    My opinion, and it is just that, would be to get an M, as they're just about in your range now. Apart from the points on your list, I've also heard that steering racks can be an issue. That said, the only thing I've had on that list, in 3 1/2 yrs ownership, is the rear shocks. These were replaced under warranty as a precaution. Ownership history here: http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showCar.asp?carId=2053

I would also choose a manual, and be prepared to wait for the right car to come along. The ratio of auto:manual in the early build years was 10:1 I'm told. Try both and see which you prefer.

PM me if I can help any more.

Kevin

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Dan,
    As for the points mentioned you should take your time like Kevin suggested and maybe look at the M over the regular. The experience of an Fcar over the p IMO is much better. Some little things that you need to get used to, but do not be afraid of the car, theydrive better than p cars if you treat them right and drive them reguarly. As for the 456, be prepared to hang on to the car, as most 4 seater f cars do take a dip in resale for some strange reason. Make sure you really love what your about to buy, you might have to live with it for awhile. WIth that said, welcome to the dark side...as for the boys telling you the horror, don't believe the hype...just jealous thats all.

My 86 TR runs like a jack rabbit and its service costs are not are scary as the myth is led you to believe. Drive her and be proud of the real horse on the car.

paulchua likes this.
  4. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    There's a 456 buyer's guide in the new Forza

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

M is the way to go. I dislike the center console of 456 as the cover shrunk back and need replacement for the whole panel. The AC outlets look so old :(

6. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    I just received this issue of Forza - and the cover article is the 456 Buyers Guide. Loads of good info.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a 456GT, and I considered a 456M. However, I prefer the styling of the 456GT. I didn't really see any advantage to the 456M, except (arguably) OBDII, which might make engine diagnosis slightly easier. And, for now the 456GT is significantly cheaper.