My new 87 Testarossa | FerrariChat

My new 87 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gmonsen, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #1 gmonsen, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just bought this 1987 Testarossa and its on its way back east now. Liked how stock it was and that the owner had rejuvenated the interior leather and gotten it Classiche certified. I'm going to switch to a Motec efi setup, an aircraft milspec fuse box, and a switchable Capristo cat-back exhaust, but keep the original parts. I am replacing the brown dash, console, and door handles with matte black Connolly leather and replacing the tan carpets with OEM red carpeting.

Gordon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congratulations !!!! Looks awesome, nice documented book !!!!

3. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Great car!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Connolly leather will be difficult. As I understand they are out of business yet again. Personally I would pick good leather anyway.

5. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Big Red and Parnelli... Thanks, gentlemen.

Rifledriver... I generally use Spinneybeck or Edelman, but several guys here have said to use the Connolly. I'm not a fan of Bridge of Weir.

You seem nearly as particular as I am. Do you like either of those or is there something else you recommend?

Gordon

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    HVL Exclusive Italian Interiors

Talk to Henk and use my name. Very high quality and very correct, authentic materials of all kinds for Ferrari upholstery.

I will say a black dash, especially a dull black dash will look very very out of place with a beige interior.

7. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Brian...

Thanks for the contact. Maybe I'll convert the pelle to crema at the same time. That's always been my preference, but I was trying to be somewhat "sensible". When I think about it, that's pretty much out the window anyway. :)

Gordon

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Will you be removing the non-original fender shields?

Good looking car; congratulations.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Come on Jaime .... they are just stickers ... I drove one year with and the other year without them ... :eek:

10. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yes. I asked the seller to remove them, but he was unwilling to do it. When it gets to the shop, that's the first thing we'll do. How did you know they were not original? I don't care for the shields and so have never paid any attention to them. What's the "tell"?

Gordon

11. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Congratulations,

the TR's never came with shields. The shields were available late 97 on F355's (previously only offered on Racing lineage cars such as 250 GTO, 288 GTO, F40 etc)

12. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Congrats!
    Have fun!

13. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beautiful car! Congrats! One thing I promise is it will bring a smile to your face.

On a seperate note. I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention the badges. Had the OP said "I like it! I'm leaving it" he would have inadvertently caused a war

14. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Congrats on the Tr purchase. Hope you put another 20K miles on the clock or more, they are great cars. Also I live near the dealer if you need me to swing by send a PM

15. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Congrats and a great car. Love the clean look of the wheels.

16. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sweet! Congratulations!!

I can't wait to see your mods.

17. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thanks to everyone. I had a 512TR for several years and traded it on a 94 Porsche 911 3.6 Turbo. Worst decision of my midlife crises. I am at point where I know just what I want for the rest of my life and the Testarossa is one of the cars my wife will be selling for big money after I die. I was somewhat at odds with "modifying" it. I put Tubi headers and exhaust and chipped the old 512TR. I decided that the Motec EFI would be an improvement in the reliability and running of the TR and then got sucked into a few other changes. The EFI, custom headers, and Capristo should also improve the sound and will add notable power. The new redline is going to be 7700... I had budgeted about $175,000 for the car, so I ended up right about there with the mods.

On the shields. I know some people love them and don't like making enemies, but I have no idea why anyone would put them on a Testarossa. It sort of seems like it says, oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, this is a Ferrari... I also think it detracts from looking at the lines of the car, but that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.

My garage is now complete.

Gordon

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    #18 MM355, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    your username is familiar from Rennlist,

I own a 512TR and used to own a 94 Turbo 3.6, I would be inclined to add one again once the prices get back to reality.

I dearly miss having a 964 Turbo (3.6), next time I want to make it EFI so it would be more reliable than the K-Jettronic problems (Warm up regulator) etc.

19. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Great looking example - but Shields were not OE on TR's if you want an exact representation.

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Congrats and Kudos to making the car 'yours'. Lots of guys here have a Pcar as well so you are in good company.

21. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yep. Spent time there. Agree on getting one if the prices return to sanity, though I don't think they will. I should have kept the old one and stretched to add the 512. I'd remove the K-jetronic as well and switch to Motec.

Gordon

22. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    If you look above, you'll see I'm removing them.

Gordon

23. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thanks. I'm keeping all the OEM parts, but wanted this just the way I wanted it...

Gordon

24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    :)

25. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I believe at that time in the 1980's the only Ferraris that came with the fender shields from the factory were the 288GTO and the F40.

:)