1968 Maserati Mexico 4.2 | FerrariChat

1968 Maserati Mexico 4.2

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Surveyor, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #1 The Surveyor, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Following the success of the prototype first revealed on the Vignale stand at the Salone di Torino in 1965 as an elegant 2 door 4-seater coupe designed by Giovanni Michelotti using a tubular chassis with a 4.9-litre V8 engine, Maserati immediately made plans to put a version into limited production.

The production Mexico, designated Tipo AM-112 by the factory, was first displayed at the Paris Motor Show a year later. First powered by a 4.7-litre V8 engine producing 290 bhp at 5000 rpm giving a top speed of 150-156 mph, and later with a 'smaller' 4.2-litre version of the same quad-cam V8 engine as found in this late 1968 Mexico mated to a smooth 5 speed ZF gearbox.

Described in the period press thus: "Maserati have added an elegant and prestigious creation to their range that is luxurious yet functional at the same time. It is fast, spacious, easy to handle and equipped with the same air conditioning system as the Quattroporte." Made to order and seen as an exclusive coupe with original owner including Italian actress Virna Lisi, Ronald Reagan and middle-weight boxing champion Nino Benvenuti all enjoying the exclusive understated class. Proof indeed that you can buy good taste.

Production of the Mexico between 1966 and 1973 totalled 482, one with a 4.9-litre engine, 175 with a 4.7-litre, with this car being one of only 305 4.2-litre versions. Equipped with luxurious original leather seating for four adults, electric windows, wooden dashboard and air conditioning as standard, this car has been extensively but sympathetically refurbished including full repaint, re-lacquered woodwork and re-coloured leather complimented by new carpets and new chrome. Fitted with proper knock-on Borrani wire wheels with new correct Pirelli CN72 tyres and fully restored ventilated disk brakes all-round.

This car is chassis number 112-462 with matching engine number, and matching Vignale production number 224 which is stamped on every hand-made component. From the original documents which come with the car, my car was built in October 1968 and first registered in the dry Italian province of Caserta in Southern Italy on ‘Roma F84454’, I brought this car to the UK in 2011 from Rome as a tired but complete and rust-free project.

I have a full file of photographs showing the detailed refurbishment covering exterior, interior, electrics and mechanical to ensure that the car is a highly presentable and usable, covering the 1,200 mile round-trip to the 2016 Le Mans Classic with ease. My own journey with this very special car is complete so it’s now time to pass on the custodianship to a new owner and is offered at a price to sell of £100,000.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    Wow, your car looks stunning.

3. 911-AL

911-AL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Call me Al!
    Absolutely gorgeous. The color is stunning.

4. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Stunning. GLWS.

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Elegant and sophisticated. Lovely. The Mexico was and remains one of my favorite Maserati (or maybe I should say Vignale) designs.

6. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    A good friend of mine, some years back had a Mexico for several years. I got to drive it on a @ 1200 mile road trip. Just a wonderful road car! Very comfortable, handled well, plenty of power, and at 80 mph, rolled up the miles with ease. The example posted here looks really nice, someone is going to get a very good looking Mexico. GLWS!

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I almost got one of these 15 years ago. They truly are great drivers and this example looks to be very nice. I would be interested if you were this side of the Atlantic. Good luck with the sale

8. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    One of my favorite cars ever. Had a Mistral and a Merak but always wanted a Mexico. Beautiful car... good luck.

9. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Thanks for the messages of support guys, shipping to the US isn't painfully expensive so don't let a few miles put anybody off.

10. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Fantastic machine

11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Love these cars so much.
    A few years ago there was one in silver in pretty shape for $35k here in Hollywood.
    I kick myself all the time for not getting it..
    I test drove it with an impatient car dealer that thought I wasn't a real buyer and rushed me so I really couldn't get a good feel for the car..
    100k British pounds = $125k US?

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That's a fantastic color combination which really flatters the styling. On top of that, the car looks to be in very nice condition. Frankly, I'm surprised the asking price is as low as it is. Seems like a good deal on a classic Maser. GLWS.

13. jdren

jdren Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    Love it.

14. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #16 The Surveyor, Jan 29, 2017
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The news is I've agreed a price for the sale so fingers crossed everything goes through.

Getting myself ready to say goodbye to this lovely old girl

15. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #17 The Surveyor, Jan 29, 2017
  16. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #18 The Surveyor, Jan 29, 2017
  17. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    If the sale falls through I will buy it..
    Just sold a car and have some unused cash hiding from the wife..

18. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Gorgeous!!!

19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  20. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    So cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Good luck with that! Hiding the cash, I'm referring too. Been married to the same great woman for 42 years, she know where money is hidden, that I forgot about hidding. Yikes!!

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That is so classy.