Battery life in FF | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Battery life in FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Pinarello, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
  2. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    It's really heavy and the angle you have to install it in is awkward. I did it by myself but it definitely would help to have a helping hand. If doing alone use some small bungee cords to help hold the terminal wires out of the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Getting the battery in at an awkward angle combined with a weight like that is the perfect recipe for getting those discs to slip beyond the vertebral bodies.

Thanks for the link in addition to the part number you have provided earlier. Definitely very helpful.

I'll probably have my wife stand nearby and help yank on the terminal wires, also just in case my back fails me and my torso ends up slumping down across the engine bay.

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Unfortunately I have to add my experience of FF battery problems on my new to me 2012 FF. Battery is lasting just 3 days before the Navtrak system shows a flat battery fault and battery is completely flat, not even enough power to drop the window when opening the door. I'd been monitoring it on a Ctek Battery sense and it was 100% on Friday, tender removed, 86% o nSaturday, I didn't check it yesterday but at 9am this morning it was completely flat. Ctek reconditioner says it's good i.e. al cells working and taking a full charge.

I contacted the dealer suggesting it needs a new battery but they say a new one was fitted the week before I collected the car (4 weeks ago) so they want the car back as they say something must be draining it

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    As a matter of interest my car is fitted with HELE (not used it) and I wondered if the battery spec is different for a HELE equipped car?

thanks

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting, I have never had a battery issue and I leave it in some cold places. I will only charge it if we are leaving the FF for longer then a week.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I think the secret in the FF is to never let it go down, and a week seems to be OK. For me it seems to have been three weeks is the magic point that kills the battery. I think my first FF had one that lasted only one or two months then the next lasted a year+ until I sold it.

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It sounds like the quality of the battery is definitely the problem. Of course, never let it go down certainly wouldn't hurt either.

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Factory FIAMM batteries are substandard. Not helped by the fact that many cars have a completely flat battery before they are delivered to customers. Lead acid batteries do not like being completely drained and left that way for days/weeks/months. Dealers will charge the battery before the car is delivered to the customer but the damage may already be done. The internal resistance of the battery can rise and there is no way back.

I have had issues in Ferrari and Maserati over many years, both FIAMM, issues have all gone with a new quality battery.

A new quality battery will solve a host of niggles that we see time and time again on this board, plus if course keeping the tender on when possible if the car is left for more than a few days.

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Completely agree with yu Justin, on mine it's possible a new battery was fitted and then the car went other paint shop for 2.5 weeks, almost certainly drained in that time and now it won't take a full charge. It looks like it's a Banner battery that's been fitted, probably on a par, quality wise, with Fiamm!

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I recall reading HELE battery specs are diff. As I recall, it is a bigger battery than in a non-HELE car. Am not able to lay my hands on the story now, though.
    T

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Ferrari should just make it a company policy to inform every customer to buy a quality aftermarket battery and put it on conditioner/charger, to be ready to be installed 1st thing upon delivery of the vehicle. Maybe every dealership should have those quality batteries on display in their gift shop area.

13. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Well I think I've identified the problem, the car has electronic close on the tailgate and the switch has been sticking in, even though the tailgate is closed and it's clear the motors are not running somehow the circuit is putting a massive drain on the battery.

I've had the switch disconnected for 4 days now and the battery, even with deliberate usage i.e. ignition, lights, stereo etc all on with engine stopped the battery is still at 83% this morning.

The reason the switch is sticking is the mounting hole is slightly too small and pinching the switch mechanism, it's obviously been a problem before as the switch has had a repair I guess because somebody was a little ham fisted trying to take it apart previously.

Now will start the battle to get the dealer to replace the switch, having said that it's only about $100 so perhaps i'll just buy one!

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Great diagnostics Mark! I was going to say that its probably a generic switch used by other manufacturers. Maybe take a close look at the switch and see if it has markings you can search for. Having said that for Ferrari $100 is almost a bargain!

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed great diagnostic skill there!

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    #66 MarkCollins, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

thanks and yes I will look as I'm sure you're right it'll not be a special part.

Interestingly I let an ad agency use my 458 Spider for some adds for Ctek for their Battery sense product and they sent me one around a Year ago, I fitted it to the FF and it gives useful info on battery status, see image below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    Two questions for this thread:

1. I bought a CTEK charger and have been using that for the last several months. I was gone for a little over a week and now the FF will not charge past "4" on the charger. Assuming this means my battery is done and I need a new one?

2. Changing the battery - I looked at the service manual instructions and also under the hood and see the cover for the battery (which I removed). But only about 2/3rds of the battery is exposed. Do I need to pull the battery out from that end? Or can you remove the entire cover and just pull it up (does this make sense)? Also, the service manual discussed disconnecting power steering fluid reservoir. Any tips on that?

Many thanks.

18. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    Never had an issue with the FF battery over 2 FFs and 4 years. Sometimes left it outside in sub zero temperatures for over a week! Always great to use the battery tender!

19. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Do you care to share that FF service manual? I can not seem to source one out.

20. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
  21. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Wow! I'm considering buying a used FF but after reading this thread about this batteries issue makes me feel a bit concerned because this is could be the kind of issue that would completely spoil the "magic" of owning such a special car (for me ;) )

Is it mainly a US "thing" or its spread accross EU too?

22. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Once the factory supplied FIAMM battery (poor quality) is changed most owners have seen any problems disappear.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Thanks!

To replace the battery wouldn't be an issue i suppose.

24. Batmobile99

Batmobile99 Rookie

Dec 17, 2020
    Nobody has tried any lithium batteries?

25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    There has been good discussion on them, I just don't want to drop the coin on one :(