Not going to Cavallino this Year | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Not going to Cavallino this Year

Discussion in 'Florida' started by raider1968, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    They ran the same promotion last year, and the place was quite full all Winter. The credit costs them only a fraction of the $100/day sum on offer.

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I heard FNA has had it with John Barns but this is all 2nd hand from Ft Lauderdale sources - I had already cancelled my reservation before I heard any of this

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Stay 7 nights and you could have rented my townhouse in Vero with a 2 car garage, 3 BR 3bth and a country club membership. They are completely out of their minds. I stayed at the Four Seasons for half that many years ago and I'll take it over the Breakers.

I really hate the price gouging which goes on during events, look at the price of a room for upcomming presidential inaguration it is frightful.

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have been lots of times in the past maybe 10. I tracked my car 3 times 2x each trip. Did the lunch as well and the yacht hops and airport deal. For a long while I could stand the overpriced venue. In my opinion they are way high on the prices. I will not attend until things get straighted out.

5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    It is NOT Cavallino and/or John Barnes setting room-rates at The Breakers or not giving someone an extra bottle of water during lunch! It's the hotel.

Winter months are the "season" for Palm Beach. The Breakers charge whatever they feel the market will bear.
    As far as the price of tickets for various events go, the costs of staging events increase each year. People "vote" with their wallets. Every year, it's been "elbows-to-you know what" at the ticket gates. When it gets too expensive, people will stop going. So far, that hasn't been the case. Can't afford it? Then don't go. Nobody is twisting your arm! I'm not singling-out you dwhite, don't take it personally. I'm directing my comments to those people whom post here every year, bitc*ing 'n moaning about Cavallino prices. It's a business, not a charity for indigent tifosi.

As of last week, there are still rooms available in West Palm Beach hotels rated "excellent" on Trivago for under $200 a night.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ahem. I don't think anybody here has an issue with "affordability." It's a question of value, which is highly subjective, and a matter of opinion and preference. And nobody here is suggesting that Barnes shouldn't charge whatever he wants.

7. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Well said!
    And comparing a townhouse in Vero to The Breakers (which, after all, is a world-class resort and serves as the HQ for the event) is, if you'll forgive me, "apples to orangutans" (!), although having stayed at The Breakers perhaps 100 times since the late '70s I'll admit to some bias here.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    BINGO! Jack has BINGO!

(reference to an old NFL commercial)

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Bias, that is a understatement. Next time you would like to visit Vero Beach give me a call and I believe you will probably be a bit more humble on your assessment. We have some very exclusive gated communities with country clubs, yatch clubs, beach clubs, tennis, audubon sanctuaries. If you enjoy golf you will like both of my clubs courses. Enjoy the Breakers, I'm hear right now slumming in Vero it was 78 today.

10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Without getting too far off-topic, I'll add that Indian River County (Vero Beach area), has been seeing a steady influx of people moving out of Broward and Dade counties for the past 20 years. Slower pace of life without being too far removed from South Florida's cultural amenities.

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Anyway, as my plans have changed. I'm hoping to make a track day next week, wish I had a car here. Maybe hook up with some fellow fchatters. Wed or Thurs is my aim. Hope the weather is better than the pouring rain I was caught in last year.

12. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    At this rate, the show's going to evolve into a private club for those who display their cars.

13. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    With all due respect, I think you're overreacting. I said nothing to disparage Vero, which is lovely- albeit a bit too quiet for my taste.
    My point was that it defied logic to suggest that someone who wanted to attend Cavallino would be better off spending a week in Vero, as opposed to staying for a few days at the host hotel for the event. Arguing that one could stay in Vero for a week for the same cost seemed specious.
    As for humility, well, I've never been accused of that!

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, it always has been a trade show for those in the bidness.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Even though I am not going, I hope every one that does has a great time!
    Art, we have met several times at Cavallino - I have a Scud Red Scud with Purple Heart tag.
    I seem to remember you running in a yellow 348 or 355? Can't remember - must be age.
    Anyway, be careful on the track

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I'm not saying i'll never be back - love the hotel - my wife really wanted to do something else this year so rented a house right on the beack in Ft Lauderdale - one of the few spots let in the whole town

17. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I will not be attending this year for the first time in at least 5 years, in solidarity with FNA. Not sure it is true or not but I heard they were not helpful in the FNA effort to set a record of 1000 cars on the track at once.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There is a lot of friction between Cavallino and Ferrari right now.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not only between those two!

Marcel Massini

20. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Reports so far as of Friday are that the turnout is light. The hangar party had a lot less cars than ever before, the food was almost non existent and a big disappointment to my friends who attended. Tomorrow will probably fill up with the same old cars but we'll see.

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There was virtually zero food last year during the Jet Center Party at WPB Airport. No surprise.

Marcel Massini

22. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    Extremely low attendance at the track today. I don't think there were more than 20 different cars on the track all day. Paddoc was empty compared to years past.

23. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I feel that if Cavalino is all about the brand the owners of Cavalino must support the brand. Glad to see car owners are supporting the brand rather than those third parties who capitalize on it.

24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It's been like this for years. I remember the track event being huge. The entire parking lot was full and people flying in on helicopters.
    The down fall of the event started with decline of historic racing.

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The track event was gr at with some amazing cars but only about a dozen ran. No factory nor dealer presence. Doesn't bode well.