Mondial 3.2: wheel alternatives | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2: wheel alternatives

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SaratogaCA, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    #1 SaratogaCA, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    I am thinking of buying a Mondial 3.2 (still working on persuading wifey ... but that's another story)

Anyway, my question is this: The particular Mondial I am looking at came with the metric wheels. I am not very fond of these. The seller is proposing wheels from a 360, but that does not do much for me either.

Any suggestions for nice-looking wheels for a Mondial 3.2? Anyone tried 328 wheels? How about Mondial-T wheels?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mondial wheels have large negative offsets (so 328 wheels would stick out a lot). The Aluminum alloy KN Mondial 16" reproductions (from SuperformanceUK, TRutlands, etc.) would be my choice -- JMO.

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I got mine last month from Superformance - ck out their website. I think I paid about $1,070 after currency conversion (Price is including shipping) from UK to USA. They look great and are 16" opposed to the almost 15" that are the Metric size. Tires are cheap as heck too instead of the Metric ones that are around $500per. I have a Mondial 8. I will mount them in spring since my car is in storage now.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lots of threads on this...

However, for an early 3.2 with metrics I prefer the OEM 16" wheels that came on the Mondial 3.2 and t.

sjmst likes this.
  5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My prefered wheels for the Mondial are the 348 OEM wheels. I had them on mine and loved the look. Look at my album if you want to see themon the car.

6. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    #6 Mfoncerrada, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    paulchua likes this.
  7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I know you said you didn't prefer 360 wheels, but I think they really look great on mine!

I think they make the car look a bit more modern and you "can" color the calipers and add "Ferrari" decals since you can see them with the 360's.

They do use different length bolts as may some of the other wheels you mentioned. Proceed with caution. See my thread here. Pics of mine in my garage too.

Taking 15mm off the back contact face of my 360's tucked them into the wheel wells perfectly.

Whatever you do, do not put black wheels on the Mondi, per the current rage. Can't wait until that bit of foolishness goes out of style.
    Alden

paulchua and Il Steeg like this.
  8. XAV88

XAV88 Rookie

May 12, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    #8 XAV88, Jan 27, 2017
    AGI and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #9 paulchua, Jan 27, 2017
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #10 paulchua, Jan 27, 2017
    looking good! Love the 348s rims too...here is some on a Mondial 8 (with color matching bumpers and lower trim).

It's always amazing to me how so many pictures out there just doesn't do the car justice! I've shown these pictures to laymen, and am often asked -

what car is that?
    A Mondial I reply.
    No....really?
    Yes
    You mean one that's had modifications to the body?
    No, just painted trim, updated rims.

wow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    #11 Mfoncerrada, Jan 27, 2017
    Wheel threads on Mondial forum never fail to get responses...Here is another pic with 348 wheels (not my car...but a very lovely one from somewhere in this forum...)

12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #12 srephwed, Jan 27, 2017
  13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #13 Alden, Jan 27, 2017
  14. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    It seems like the 348 wheels are the most popular.

But I am not completely convinced.

Does anyone have a picture of 3.2 with T wheels? Since the 3.2 fenders are flared out, I wonder how it will work when T wheels are installed?

And ... I am not at all interested in black wheels.

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

15. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Confused. Mondial t wheels are the same as 3.2.

16. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi,

How about the Rasso Rosso 17" wheels that was in the Mondial fetured in the RestoMod article featured in the recent thread. It looks looks good. If Im based in the USA I would get a set.

audio research

17. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.

I understand former is measured in inches, the latter is metric. No?

Do you mean that notwithstanding the slight size difference, the designs are the same?

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #18 Wade, Jan 27, 2017
    No, most early Mondials were metric. Do a bit a research for your own verification. About mid-life both metric and standard (inches) were offered. Towards the end, most all were inches, the t especially.

Style-wise, there were two kinds; the 8 and the QV (which the 16" replicas from Superformance are patterned after) was one and the 3.2 and the t had the other.

The later style came in either metric or 16", exact style.

19. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I run 348s on a QV and have the 16" too for the non abs fitment. 18" are personal choice, but as others have said it's a question of offsets and impacts on geometry etc. I like the 355 (spyder) multispoke wheels. If I could post a pic I would!!

They are also a lot lighter and so make steering, etc a little nicer (probably not an issue on a T or if you don't track it). I think they suit the GT purpose of the car and the darker grey looks great with a lot of the colours. SuperP do these, but some U.K. Ferrari dealers have stock and will do cheaper.

For a track car I would love some 355/348 challenge wheels (the high mag Speedlines). There's a great Italian co (Celina?) that do a similar wheel. About 3-4K euros a set. PM me if you want details I think I have an email from them somewhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    #20 blownfuse, Feb 1, 2017
    I put 355 wheels on mine, but after looking at this thread, I might hafta hunt down some of those challenge rims. Lookin' sharp.

paulchua likes this.
  21. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #21 theunissenguido, Feb 2, 2017
  22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Love the stripe!

23. XAV88

XAV88 Rookie

May 12, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    You should keep those wheels. They look great !
    I like F355 wheels because despite the fact they are much bigger than the standard rims (18 inch against 15,3 for TRX) they seem to be just the good size.
    Does that mean that standard wheeels are too small ?

24. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    TRX size was ok for 8 & QV but to small for 3.2 due to the integrated bumpers.
    I think 16" is minimum for 3.2 & T
    My choice on my 3.2 cab, 348 17" wheels, not to aggressive and period acceptable.

The bigger the wheels are, the shorter the Mondial looks, which is a good thing.

I do like the 360 wheels a lot.
    I find it amazing that a car designed in the 80's still looks good with wheels designed for a car sold 15 years later, without looking overdressed.

Was the Mondial design ahead of its time??

25. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    #25 robogeeks, Feb 7, 2017
    I finally changed my wheels and tires, the original 16” factory wheels where in bad shape, the finish was peeling off and they looked terrible, and the tires looked great when we bought the car, so I didn’t bother looking at the DOT numbers, when I did I realized they were 12 years old, so they needed to be changed. I’m going to have the original wheels stripped, minor road rash repaired, and powder coated, and then I’ll store them. In the meantime, I found these wheels, they are TSW Jarama wheels, 18x8 with a 40mm offset. I put 225/40s in the front and 245/40s in the rear, BFGoodrich G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2. Those tires give me an outside diameter only 5.2mm larger in front (just over 3/16 for those who prefer English measurements), and 0.8mm smaller in rear ( 1/32 less), than the original factory set up, whether the TRX or 16” wheels. That difference is basically negligible, especially in the rear. With those size tires and the 40mm offset, the outside edge of the rear tires is 13.5mm (just over ½ inch) farther outside than the original and the front only 6mm (just under ¼ inch) farther outside. Add some Ferrari centers I got on eBay, and I think the result looks great, and like something that could have come out of the factory, or a dealer option. I got the wheels and tires from Carid.com, including the installation kit, mounting and high speed balancing, inflated with nitrogen, and shipping, the whole set up cost me $1576.

Now if I could just lower the rear height by about 25mm (1 in), and the front by about 51mm (2 in), unfortunately that would require adjustable coil overs, which would be difficult and expensive, as discussed in other threads. It would also make parking lot speed bumps and some driveways very difficult, maybe an air suspension system so I could adjust ride height as needed? Hmmmm……..interesting thought.

Cavalli Racer likes this.