240/55VR415 | FerrariChat

240/55VR415

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Longstone Tyres, Jan 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Do USA customers pay the tax?

3. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I purchased from Longstone Tyres last year and I had an exceptional experience - they shipped to California Michelin 240/45VR415s free of tax and shipping and they arrived within a week.

4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Thank You for the reference Pnorell

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed as did I

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +1 - IMHO, it's the only way to buy tires for our beloved beasts! Great service and price.

Cheers!

Ruben

7. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I've never understood why people make a big deal out of the tyres. Yes, they're metric. Yes, they cost a little more. But the idea that they're prohibitively hard to get and expensive that people have replaced their wheels is so silly and uninformed. I've even seen car listings where they will further try to sell you on their ridiculous modification stating that the car rides better without the original tyres.

With Longstone I got 5 fresh tyres shipped to California in a week. No VAT. Reasonable price. Excellent service. No shipping cost. The head of the whole company will email you directly and quickly. Tyres and wheels have actually been the easiest aspects of 400 series ownership in my opinion. Especially with Longstone.

8. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I LOVE YOU GUYS

9. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Dougal,

Am I following you, or are you following me? I've just come from the Cobra forum where we were discussing a very similar issue with you.

I've currently got Fuldas on my 308, but I've recently discovered that they're 12 years old, so need replacing really, even though they look sound, with no visible cracks and plenty of tread left. I'm thinking either Pirelli or Michelin.

Paul

10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Paul

I'm guessing it is an early car Ferrari 308 GTB on 14" wheels

I think it would originally have been an XWX. I also think they are great, and look right. One of the things we always like about Michelin is they make an excellent carcass, which gives you flawless quality control, good longevity and excellent directional stability at high speed. There is a tyre test done on this web page for Porsche Classic Porsche Tyres | Longstone Tyres . I think this test sort off passes by these features that are so good about the Michelins. and they didn't come out of the test very well, which really surprised me. However it was a bit of a racey test, not road. I'm a big Michelin fan. I'm thinking of having M. Bibbendum tattoo'd on my bum.

However in that test the Cinturato CN12 came out very well and the price is attractive 205/70WR14 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 | Longstone Tyres

I don't like Vredestein.

Incidentally here is a special tyre test we did ourselves, using Michelins, a Lexus, a trailer strap and a tree https://www.facebook.com/longstonetyres/videos/1346133938786646/ I would say that is a pretty robust carcass.

11. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi,

It's a 308 GT4, but I think the tyres are the same.

Paul

12. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Hi Dougal,

Just out of curiosity why don't you like the Vredestein tyres?

Best regards, Toon

13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    The big dint's you get in the side wall.

the tread pattern that looks very similar to the tread pattern that was on some Nankang tyres that were on my Mercedes Sprinter when i bought it.

the fact it has the word Classic written on the side. a similar faux-par to making a copy of the Mona Lisa but wearing a digital watch.

I have driven 2 Alfa Spiders one with Vredesteins, and second Spider of my aunties we took the Vredesteins off and fitted Michelin XAS the steering was so much more direct and they had far better directional stability. They were leaps and bounds better, like you wouldn't believe.

I took Vredesteins off my Daimler V8 Saloon and fitted XAS, it was a miles nicer car to drive, not just a little bit. (till i blew a head gasket on the way to Cornwall with my wife and 3 kids under 10)

When Pirelli first made the 185VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 | Longstone Tyres the tyre that was OE on the 250 GTE, it is also very much a Jaguar tyre, we did some testing with a professional test driver in a MK2 Jaguar. he drove on both and stated that the Cinturato was by far superior. i didn't drive that car i was a passenger and the cars wandering at cruising speeds was dramatically improved. These were some test tyres where Pirelli still had the option of making subtle adjustments if they were needed.

Both the Michelin and Pirelli tyres are genuine period tyres from the period built by 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers who understand the technology of the cars of the day so they come with a carcass that is designed to compliment your car, instead of being a tyre that is about the right size.

I don't think they are completely crap, and when they were a lot cheaper than the good stuff, i understood why people were prepared to compromise on handling and could close their eyes when they walked passed their cars so they didn't have to see them.

But currently the other options are far better, special when you can buy these 215/70VR15 PIRELLI CN12 (Vintage Car use only, no DOT or E Mark) | Longstone Tyres which are a complete steel

Also Vredestein don't make TRX tyres

14. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Thank you for explanation Dougal, very much appreciated.

Makes my choise easier 😀

Cheers Toon

Jonesron172 likes this.
  15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal