McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING | Page 4 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Scraggy, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have a 650s, had a Speciale and 458, and 488 Spyder on order.

I hope the 720 oozes sound and exotic-ness.
    May have to go back to a 458 again!

Not a fan of the 650s FWIW.

2. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think what you've witnessed here were growing pains and early steps to establish their cadence and model line-up. I think that's already behind them.

Considering that they said they think their total capacity down the road is about 5,000 cars (they made 3,286 this year), and demand is rising, I don't think their challenge on new cars will be over-production in the future but rather allocation and achieving higher and higher margins like Ferrari and Porsche do. They also need to grow their dealer network. I expect having a brand-new technology-leading supercar like P14 will help with that too. A larger dealer network will space out the used cars and give more people more places/changes to try them and to get them serviced. To me that's the biggest challenge at the moment.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Jesus christ. It's 2017. You would think someone privileged enough to be invited to a new Mclaren unveiling would have a better phone to take a pic. The iphone 1 could take a better pic than this.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    that was a bootleg pic. No photos allowed. Official unveiling is in Geneva next month.

5. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Thanks all for some excellent observations on a launch that is clearly very relevant to our beloved Ferrari's.

Make you laugh some loser user name "McLosers" (who has made a lot of posts) is trolling me in OM for being "anti-Ferrari". I own 4 and have had 15 !

Sad world.

Respect to all on here for good faith comments and contributions, however close to home.

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Sorry user is Maggio23.

7. spectre007

spectre007 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    London
    I was at this event (scruffy person in black who forgot dress code). Car looks extremely special. I'm not at all concerned with how it may or may not effect the market - as a car lover I was amazed and really excited to see what a phenomenal car Mclaren are about to reveal. All ships rise with the water. Also my friend has an early deposit down so I'll get to drive it with any luck anyway mwhaha.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That's pathetic. Why people get so caught up in brands I'll never get. I mean if you own the company or work there, I get it. But last I checked these companies extract money from my pockets, not put it in there. I don't get the blind allegiance.

Jas likes this.
  9. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    If this new Mac have NA engine with butterfly doors, central based engine, carbon tube and RWD would be best car on the market and steal some Ferrari customers :D

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Bootleg. Sneak Peek. I get it. Did someone take a bootleg pic with a toaster?

11. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    The previous renders seem to be spot on and the spy shots of that matte black car did indeed show the finished car.

Judging from the rumours it seems more of a baby hypercar than a 488 competitor tbh. I hope it looks better in the metal though.

12. spectre007

spectre007 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    London
    As a quiet sceptic who was reserving judgement I can confidently say it does. I'd say it's the first car they've made you could call beautiful.

13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    That's not happening lol. It will not have a NA engine.

15. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    I know it :D

16. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Another one:

I was very lucky indeed to go to the 720 preview and I can certainly confirm that this car has at least three or four huge changes over previous ones. It is certainly a complete new design. Its a new car.
    Forget the 675LT - this will blow it away. It makes it look like a dinosaur and probably will make it look as about as fast as one as well.
    I was told by a main dealer that on a track in Italy it (the 720) beat the Porsche 918 lap time by 3 seconds and I have no reason to believe it was not true (on that particular track). Now we must consider its under one third of the price of the Porsche.
    If that stat is true then that is utterly mind blowing.
    For me its about the clever use of the power and how all of that extra torque cuts in way way down the rev range. Then combine that with the lower weight, huge increase in downforce, and very very clever aerodynamics, and that starts to show why its going to be fast - very very fast. As you guys that race know - its not all about brute bhp - its got a great deal to do with delivery of that and then how much of that you can put down on the track without the car losing its handling and grip.
    Its in this area that the 720 probably beats just about any other road car and for me it lived up to its hype.
    MCL have been very clever with this design and used the phrase "form following function" several times. The new styling is great - it is more aggressive but its all been driven by a functional need - and not just made to look pretty for the fun of it.
    My very best mate, Urs Tschudin (The MCL Mileage man), who was with me for the reveal, has ordered one but will wait beyond the launch cars so he can spec it out himself. I met another Swiss guy who has a P1 and also 2 off 675 LTs and he will be having a 720 now and thinks on the road there will be no difference to speak of between the 720 and his P1.
    Ill leave it to others to spoil the launch at Geneva that Ill also be attending and MCL really dont deserve to be let down given their kindness and willingness to preview the car to a select lucky few.
    I will tell you though - this is one super cool car (or is it a cool super car??) that will give Hyper cars a run for their money (on the road) at Super Series car prices. Its another big step forward for MCL and the competition will not like what they see at Geneva.
    For those that can afford it - get your deposits down now.
    I will tell you - the Spider version has not yet been signed off and will be 2 or maybe even 3 years away. When you see the design - you will understand why that is.

17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    ^^^ Exciting intel. Thanks for sharing. As for others not liking what they see, I think that is great! It will force the industry, and in particular Ferrari, to step up their game and push the boundaries of super car design harder and faster. That's great news for us all!

18. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    You do know that those aren't my words, right? I got them from mclife.

19. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Another thing, someone on another forum said the 488VS is mostly finished developing. But the problem lies with Mac. If the times from it are true, even on that one track, then thats simply overkill. the base 488 can keep up with the LT, and the LT gets murdered by the 918. This thing is even faster than the 918 and potentially as fast as the P1; thats just plain unfair. If you've played any type of games that you can mod, like skyrim or fallout, then imagine starting the game with a god-ring, and maxed weapons. You already have the highest ranked weapons in the game, but then you go and add that ring, and now you're dishing out a 1,000,000+ in damage and simply one-shotting enemies 40-80 levels above you.

If those times are legit, then thing is bringing a mini-nuke launcher to a handgun duel.

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Re the 488VS - it's a turbo, so easy enough to dial up the HP without a complete re-engineer… Might force a rethink in the handling and aero departments though to get the traction delta sorted out. 720 is not a nuke, but will force an acceleration of the pace at which tech filters down from hyper segment cars to super segment. That's all good!

21. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Its cars like P14 that will help correct the ridiculous pricing that the primary (Pagani, Egg, etc) and secondary market (Ferrari, Porsche, etc) have created for themselves with hyper inflated values.

22. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Cant deny that it'll definitely push P and F. But i still think that its a nuke.

23. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    #98 kingjr9000, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Another report from RL: I was at the event and heard the same from the home team. Faster than P1 and 918 (way too heavy). They'll never go into writing on it as they want to protect the P1 but the comparison tests will eventually out it. Time to open your mind...

And one from CJ: If anyone wants to lend me a 918 to test against the 720S I'd love to see. I have been told the same thing in regards to the car being faster around a lap.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Why would CJ need someone to lend him a 918. He has a P1. If the 720S beats the P1 then it has a shot at a 918. If it doesn't, then it won't.

25. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Because its the legendary 918.