355 Value - Part 2 | FerrariChat

355 Value - Part 2

Discussion in '348/355' started by mattsmusic, Feb 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Last week I asked the value of a car I'm considering buying. Thanks for all the responses. Now I'm asking the question in a different way. Estimates on what this is worth?

97 355 Spider
    6 speed manual
    Triple black
    36000 miles
    Cross drilled rotors and red calipers from a 1999 355 "Serie Fiorano"
    5 owners, very well documented service and owner history
    Manuals, luggage, it's all included
    Tires are all 7-8mm tread depth
    Brand new roof
    Major just completed
    Brand new Fabspeed headers
    Brand new Fabspeed sport cats
    Brand new Capristo exhaust
    PPI just performed, came back perfect
    Compression and leak down are excellent
    Interior and exterior condition are both about a 7 or 8
    Stickies were fixed except for dash air vents (still sticky)
    No known issues, totally turn key, ready to rip
    Clean Carfax, minor paint work done, no accidents or body work

Thanks, Matt

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt, a list like this does not describe condition as photos and service records can....

Not sure I understand the difference of this thread vs your other? :)

3. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #3 mattsmusic, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    I want to know what the car will be worth once all the work has been done and it's in my driveway. I don't want to be upside down on it from the get go.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Too many variables...

First, there are only a handful of 355's on the market and that handful is split between Berlinetta's, GTS and Spiders. Then, we can split F1 and gates cars.

Now, start slicing condition and service, miles, etc....

It's very hard to find truly equal comps..

5. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I'll bite. $75K. If interior and exterior were perfect, $95K.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    36k miles, 7/8 out of 10 condition. Ask $75. If you get an offer of $70, jump at it. Be willing to take $65. It's only worth what some one will pay. Done expect to flip is fast. Not going to happen.

7. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm not planning to flip it but so far it sounds like I'm going to be into it for more than it's worth. And that's before I start putting additional miles on it.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, he is a buyer, not a seller :)

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #9 johnk..., Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    He is asking what the car is worth. I've given numbers that you can look at from either side, Dave. If I were selling, I'd ask $75. Buying I'd open $65 or less. Work the deal from either direction. Meet somewhere in the middle. The car's not worth more that $70k. If I were selling I'd jump at 70. A s buyer I would have to want that particular car pretty bad to come up to 70. It has a nice list of upgrades but it's a 36k mile car. If I'm going to spend more that $70k I'm going to be looking at something with a lot fewer miles.

And now, back to the super bowl.

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Agree with this pretty much.
    I started even, and am going more upside down on it every time I drive it :)
    Life is good.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    90 but that is just me.

12. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Pro
    6speed
    color
    10 years+ of service records (if it has only 1 or 2 this is a con)
    Manuals (all of them?), luggage (really?), what about the tools (all tools, as-new, no stains)
    Tires with good tread
    New roof
    Brand new roof
    Major just completed
    Brand new Fabspeed headers
    Brand new Fabspeed sport cats
    Brand new Capristo exhaust
    PPI just performed, came back perfect
    Compression and leak down are excellent
    Stickies were fixed except for dash air vents (still sticky) (maybe up to $1k to fix the rest)
    Clean Carfax, minor paint work done, no accidents or body work

Con
    1997 - not the best year unless the assembly number shows it's past the bronze valve guides
    Not correct brakes so this isn't for a "collector"
    Convertible (as compared to GTB/GTS). These are great but GTB seem to be higher dollars.

Meh
    miles are fine but this isn't for a "collector"
    Number of owners
    Interior and exterior condition are both about a 7 or 8.

Does it have all of the keys and fobs?

------------------------------
    Excluding the luggage but including full as-new tools, all keys and fobs, this is probably an $82k car now and 87k in 4 months. I don't see it over 95k due to.... not museum/collector car, miles, convertible. I cannot imagine it being less than $80 with capristo, tools, books, major.

If the car is as you suggest, there are no apologies (no more than 2k worth of work for fixing things now not including an annual but including broken parts, missing parts, stickies), and you can get this for the low $80's it's probably a good deal. Note, add $3k if the valve guides are steal.

These are my "feeling" with regard to what is being seen on the market but honestly it depends on more. They aren't making any more of these. If you just want a ferrari, then low $80's. If you MUST have a convertible F355, then you may want to pay a bit more to lock a good one down.

13. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Also, based on everything you said, you won't be upside down at anything below $90k. I say this with some flexibility with the following comments...
    It is possible the F355 will go up a bit in the years to come as the fanboys who were 15-24 in 1995 will start to be able to purchase these cars with a sweet spot for collecting in 10 years with a +/-5 years. The F355 is a bit more special than the pre and post model cars so it will command a bit more as we have seen for the last 10 years.

What you want is a well sorted car because even small parts are spendy especially if you can't DIY.

Also, I don't believe that you driving 1000-2000 miles a year for the next 5 years (made this up) will significantly change the value of the car. What I mean is if you were to buy a $70k corvette today, in 5 years it will most likely be worth $40k (+/-). The F355 that is maintained will still be with +/- $10k from what you buy it for today. Now, you'll also spend 8-20k on the car over the next 5-6 years, unless you sell it without doing a major, and then your sale price will need to reflect something lower.

14. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I called a few dealers this morning to get their opinion on what the car is worth. CNC has the identical car (sans exhaust mods) in "mint" condition with 17,000 miles on it for $79K. So there's no way the one I'm looking at is worth more than that. 3 dealers said they'd tag it in the $60-65K range considering the higher mileage.

15. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just buy it, drive it, and maintain it. It's going to be expensive, but it's going to be glorious every time you look at it and every time you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I know this car personally and regardless of the miles it is A++++....heads are the best with the best valve guides available and installed by one of the best Ferrari mechanics I know.
    This car should have already sold!!!!

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Bruce - how do you know which car this is?

PS - good to see you back ;)

18. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

This

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Color is a BIG detractor for me....black cars look like blobs going down the road....on a really pretty car like this you want to see the lines.

And THEN there is the "its only really clean for 5 miles after a wash" thing.

20. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And double then there's the guys that paint the wheels black and change the lens to that blacked out plastic and tint the windows block. I guess they want it to disappear.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's really pretty simple. Decide what the most you want to pay for the car is. Offer about 10% less than that. If they don't take it, or counter offer, come back at 5% less than you max. If still no deal, offer you max. If they don't take it, ask what their best deal is. Then say, No, you are not willing to go more than your last offer, even if they only want another 500. If they still say no, tell them your the offer is good for a week or so, give them you phone number and walk away. If after a week or so they don't call you can always cave. If your offer is reasonable you might be surprised, especially if they have had the car for a while. If (big if) they sell the car to someone else in the mean time, you can be satisfied in knowing that the buyer paid too much for the car.

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Hi Dave...trust you are doing well my friend.

As you know I deal with 355 owners worldwide and have a great network.....I received a call to let me know this car was going to be up for sale.....there is only one 97 black spider with 36000 in Boston area that is for sale.
    The originator of this thread has added his wish list to what he wants to do to this car.....I guess he drank the FChat Kool-Aid and believes that this car needs all that crap, or is just fishing to see what this car is worth if all those extras are added.
    I have contact info on this car if anyone wants it.....just PM me.

23. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I actually had a PPI done on said car so I know for a fact it needs a full major and considering it's got a hole in the roof, I think most buyers would want the taken care of too. My only reason for posting was to get a feel for what the car will be worth when the work has been done to protect myself from being $65k-$70k into a car that most dealers are valuing at about $60k. if I do the wish list exhaust, it doesn't seem to add much to the value but it adds more to my investment.

I came here for some advice, not to drink Kool Aid.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Keep the car for 20 years and you are guaranteed to get your money back.

25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    PM me if you decide to pass on this car.