Period radio insanity project | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Period radio insanity project

Discussion in '308/328' started by magnesium, Jan 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    #26 magnesium, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    @Ferraridoc - You know what, there really was a storm when I finally switched it all on. Falling trees, 90mph winds and everything!

Some more progress too. Getting rid of bugs was not so easy. The biggest one was some kind of oversensitivity in the GPIO for operating the ff / rew buttons. Play / Pause was fine. FF on its own was also ok although so sensitive that just touching the wire would trigger it, REW was better but somehow would occasionally trigger FF....... So I switched to using the low-biased GPIO pins which was a pain as it meant a bit of rewiring........ only to get similar issues. Eventually, looking at some noise on those pins (which really shouldn't be there) I decided that the easy solution was to put REW on a low-biased pin and FF on a high-biased pin. And it solved all the problems. Next time, I'll try different DACs and test more thoroughly on the bench because none of this happened when testing with the RPi alone.

Some more pictures here working towards the final install before closing up the unit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    #27 magnesium, Feb 7, 2017
    Apparently having a good sense of humour goes a long way to keeping us sane.

Looking at making a mounting bracket for the changeover relay, I found a nice piece of metal from an old SHARP tv monitor I had hanging around. Well, I couldn't resist signing this one!

This should keep future restorers / archaeologists guessing for a while.

3. magnesium

magnesium Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    #28 magnesium, Feb 7, 2017
    The original radio also used a piece of card as an insulator to keep components away from the metal chassis. I sketched some notes and a simplified diagram on it.

The way the wifi and networking is handled works well. If there's a connection to a network (wired for testing), wifi otherwise, then you can connect to the device and control it via a web interface. If no connection is present, it automatically sets up its own wifi hotspot and you can then join it and control / monitor the headless player that way.

I now need to put on the nice fascia and rework the graphics on it a little........

.....and install it in the car and get back to working on the carburation!

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I think I should call your doctor and discuss your medication!