Peter Dyson | FerrariChat

Peter Dyson

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by norbert, Feb 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Many of you may have viewed a red 288 GTO, or a red F-40, or a 250 SWB (red color too...) at a couple of the north shore events in recent years. Those were Peter's cars. I never saw him at Monterey Week. His cars were sort of a personal thing from what I could gather. He was the guy who pulled Noble Cars together to have the M600 on the road in Europe. Peter was one of the greatest Ferrari car guys I ever knew and it didn't stop with Ferrares.

When someone needed help, Peter was always there. He offered us the service of one of his employees at Noble Cars in England to assist in finding a proper ambulance for our own on our own charity drive from London to Mongolia in 2011. That is the way he was. Always helping others.

Peter had just purchased back the first Ferrari he ever owned recently, a 275 Spyder and it appeared to me he may have just begun to be getting into open-wheel classic Indy cars too for the couple he had purchased in the recent past. I sure miss him and our emails back and forth already. Just a great guy to have known as I pass through live too.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I only had the pleasure to talk to him during the Winnetka cars and coffee or the LFSC concours. He was always very nice, kind and willing to share his cars and knowledge with complete strangers. He knew and loved his cars.

I was looking forward to more talks with him about his cars during the 2017 season.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Great guy indeed and will be sorely missed....

4. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #4 norbert, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    It is very sad for me personally to have some of these Ferrari guys that I have known over the years pass. Wayne Obry was just a shock. Then Bob Lee, although up in years a bit was not unexpected. I remember seeing his excitement when I said I owned a Madrid lock flint pistol made by a man who was maker to the king of Spain in the 1700s. He appeared very frail at Monterey in 2015. I will always remember our conversation in 2004 with his then publisher and then wife Anne telling the story to us how Bob had purchased the 1956 Geneva show car directly from Enzo because when it was shown in New York, Luigi Chinetti wouldn't sell it to him. So now it is Peter who has passed also. Praying and hoping that things turn out well for another too now.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Really sad to hear when he passed in December. Very nice to talk to. He really loved the cars he owned and was very enthusiastic about them. I think Group B rally cars seemed to be a soft spot along with anything else that was interesting.

6. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #6 norbert, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    In numbers, Peter owned more cars than most probably realize. (By the way, Anne told us in 2004 that Bob Lee owned 375 cars at that time....) and by the way...(Bob owned Ferrari 0008 that won LeMans in 1949, the first 24 hour race there after WWII. That put Ferrari on the map...found what Bob supposedly paid for it a number of years ago in the mid 90's. It has been said that it is the most valuable Ferrari out there. Have seen it shown more recently....Count your bucks. When I first saw the car in 2004, it was history than for me.

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    awwww crap....
    I'd met him at a LFSC show once, he was quite nice.
    he lived across the street from a buddy of mine.
    my buddy snapped a crappy cell phone pic of his silver F50 being unloaded.....
    He arranged for my son and I to check out his cars before we moved to TX.
    Very personable guy. Amazing cars.
    I got to sit in my penultimate car.... the 288GTO.

Very nice guy....

8. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    I think that one was "red" like most or all of the rest, but he just had it painted different as I recall...

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    His 288 had the bumpers painted red.

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #10 spike308, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    I have a '78 Honda 750 F2 Super Sport. I haven't started it since 1989. Looks new!! I changed a few things on it, but kept all the original parts accept the original front fork springs which are hidden from view.