McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING | Page 5 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Scraggy, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Whoopsy is getting a 720S. I'm sure he'll tell us which is faster. Nobody needs to lend CJ anything.

2. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    If i read it correctly and it wasnt just an inside joke, then someone already sent him a PM.

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    If they are selling for $179 that means they probably paid in $160's...go grab it lol.

2016 McLaren 570S Coupe - McLaren Chicago - Factory Authorized McLaren Dealer

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #105 IPO1, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Plenty good deals--sorry to burst your McLaren bubble.

Pick up the phone and see for your self.

Personally I see how many issues people are having in the McLaren forum with 570s http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-570gt/66506-new-car-problems.html it's almost scary. Oh well...toodles noon.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its funny reading some thoughts on this thread. Many are obsessed with resale, or theoretical performance.

Surely we buy these cars for the joy of the drive. So how will the 720 feel on the road. Will it be another sterile superfast car, soemthing the mp12 and many moderns are guilty of. or will it be an a live machine. Will it be rewarding to drive on street at " quasi normal" speeds, or like modern ferraris and prior mclarens will it feel no different at these speeds to any car.

Lastly will it be fun and alive on track like a lotus or F40. More importantly will it be durable and able to sustain serious laptimes. A single flying lap means zip, a nurbering laptime like 0-60 is irrelvant. Whats its 10 lap average.

That all being said. It seems Mclaren has realized their cars need to be experiential, full of passion. Mclaren unlike ferrari is comitted to performance, but real performance. Fearris have mostly devolved into handbags for rich men, a gotta have it token, a real turnoff because so many buy to drive free and flip for a year. The few greats they make are unobtanium and therefore unlikely to be really DRIVEN.

Possibly Mclaren without the drama from italy, without the fawning fan base will take the lead from ferrari amongst those who drive seriously. A car you can buy without prostrating yourself, and really enjoy driving

The Hurucan seems to be doing the same thing too.

Any fast car to be enjoyed needs to be fun at quasi normal speeds on road and it needs to be fun and reactive there, as well as being seriously capable and durable on track for multiple laps. Very few acheive this.

The Mclaren F1 acheved it all, when the mp12 came out we hoped it was a modern take of the virtues inherrant in the F1, sadly this was not the case. Now its possible the 720 will be it. In which case its the first modern I really want and can actualy buy.

Jas likes this.
  7. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Are you saying the Huracan is taking the macca approach or the fezza approach? Because if its the macca, then theres a rumor that Porsche helped lambo with their new aero system. And the next-gen huracan is supposed to be on the company supercar platform developed by Porsche.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

I was wondering about this as I have a Huracan Perfomante on order. With all the buzz of the Perfomante beating the 918 record at the Ring, it would be interesting to compare the Perfomante to the 720 in terms of "driving experience and feel," sound, etc. The 720 seems like a technical prowess. But the Huracan NA V10 is the last of its kind....with the new ALA Aero system, it will certainly be fast enough on street roads with a raw feel to it. I'll be testing it out on track in a few months.

Sent from my 16M

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pull up Manheim if you'd like to see the wholesale numbers. Like I said, the cars are not selling to actual people for $150K like you claim. There aren't even any owners on McLaren Life who have purchased anywhere near $150K.

As I said, I've even asked about cars at the dealer you just posted -- it's my local dealer after all -- and the prices were nowhere near $150K. I mean, you literally just posted a listing of their demo asking $180K and you're saying I can get it for $30K less. Yea, trust me, it's not happening even on that demo.

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Love that rear end...it's going to be a good looking ride without question.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I was speaking with one of the development drivers for the new ford Gt, he is a pro-racer by trade and was helping me sort my GT40. In his work for ford he had driven everything out there including the pgani and konigsegg. His comments on the pagani and the egg was lotts of power and unsable and snappy towards the limit, not really cars you can track.

He said of all the current moderns and in fact compared to all the immediate priors (including the speciale) he had tried the Hurracan was best on track by quite a margin. He said it was well resolved and one of "those few rare cars where it all just came together"

Mclaren, I loved the look if not mechanical concept of the P1, all compact and purposeful. If the P14 acheives the same effect without the weight and complexity, well then its a winner. As to motor I didnt like the Mp12 version and while the 570 felt a big improvement, frankly nothing turbod out there is going to match the V10 for sheer fury and charisma.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #113 boxerman, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Performante, seems the car these days for those who drive, it would be at the top of my current list, awesome.

But if it were me I would miss out on the street side can just get a supertrofeo.

lambo seems to have its game on, as does macca, whereas ferrari is going deeper into sniffy smelling limited no you cant buy it handbags for men.Its ferraris "brand" mangement and sales games that has left the door wide open for the othrs to enter this arena..

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Boxerman you hit the nail on the head. You and I are diehard Lotus fans that epitomize raw driving.
    The Huracan Perfomante should handle and corner leaps and bounds above the normal Huracan due to the patented new aero system. As you say, there is something magical and symphonic about NA V10. I am ordering my Perf withOUT dynamic steering....want to feel the car.
    I wonder how the 720 will feel.

Sent from my 16M

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looking forwards to reading of your driving experience with the performante.

The 720 i guess we will read a bout in due course.

15. Dandehellenbaque

Aug 15, 2016
    UK
    I also attended the event, very well described by Scraggy. The next Bond movie director could learn a thing or two from McLaren, for the next set for a Spectre meeting!

I ordered one too, a launch edition. I am however, fortunate enough to have an F12 at present, so when the 720S arrives it will be interesting to see if it compliments or conflicts. The test will be whether or not it is difficult to choose which one to use for each different purpose. If complimentary, and all is well with the world, keep both, if conflicting, well I wonder which one I'll be selling!

16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #117 Patek, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012