Upship - documentary on the Goodyear Blimp | FerrariChat

Upship - documentary on the Goodyear Blimp

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jet-X, Dec 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well, I've been working on this for the last 18 months, and I'm finally nearing the finish line. It's a documentary on the final blimps to be retired from the Goodyear fleet. For over 90 years, Goodyear designed, engineered, built, and operated their own airships.

Now, for the first time, they're going with a German designed/engineered Zeppelin NT.

Will probably enter into film festival circuit, with an eventual Blu-Ray and 4K UHD Blu-Ray release by summer. Thought I'd share with fellow Fchatters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-qSQ9tyJY&feature=youtu.be

2. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Well done, sir!!!!

Finishing a film is a monstrous achievement! Congratulations!!!!

I hope for many an award and lots of money coming in!!!!!

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    LOL - this was 1000x harder than I expected. Just finishing it is tough enough...! Thanks.

4. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Way cool.. be sure to post up eventual links to purchase and view!

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Congrats!

Always very interested in those blimps...

I enjoyed watching them fly around from the hills. I wanted to jump aboard one...

I was fortunate enough to fly one of Concorde's final flight tribute to IAD.

We just seem to be digressing in aviation

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Totally agree.

I missed the opportunity for Concorde. Couldn't get any of the $1,000 final tickets. A very generous friend offered to pay for us to fly at full price, but I couldn't swallow my pride to accept such a gift. He rubs my nose in it occasionally.

The new Zeppelin, it's quirky. Flys faster, more passengers, quieter, has a bathroom - but it's very quirky to fly. It's like an aircraft+helicopter+blimp all rolled into one. I'll miss the GZ20s (last one in existence is in Carson, California - will be gone by 2nd quarter 2017).

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Are they giving flights? I'd love to check it out...

I'd like to say you didn't miss anything, but you know I'd be lying. Concorde was a legend and the experience of being 60k feet up is humbling. I remember the sky color and curvature more than any mild sensation of going supersonic...Don't get me wrong supersonic flight doesn't suck.

When does the new fleet start flying?

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Great to hear of your project completion. It would be great to get some guys together for a viewing.

9. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #9 redhead, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very Cool! I look forward to seeing this! Back in 1999, I had the opportunity to not only fly in one, but pilot it as well from the Alameda water line out and around Treasure Island in the SF Bay Area. Such an amazing experince, that I truly will never forget.

1-Walking away after the flight
    2-Left seat!
    3-Very good friend being the first to sit in the left seat of our group. I was last..and hence got the longest flight
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Oh I know what I missed - kills me.

As for the Blimp, the flights are traditionally invite only (customers of Goodyear, or winners of charity auctions).

New fleet started flying couple years back, at least the first NT, second one was christened in October. That ship will make its way out to California in June of next year. Third and final NT by end of 2017. By March of 2017, the last GZ20 (traditional blimp) will be no more.

I'm game - need to find a place with a big enough screen (and if it's a 4K screen, I'll screen the 4K version). Maybe an early February screening?

Yep - it's fun to fly, like piloting a big boat over waves. I've spent more time inside than most except the pilots. Longest flight was about 9 1/2 hours.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Back in the late '60s/early '70s, I lived in Miami Beach, when the Goodyear blimp Mayflower was still based on Watson Island near downtown Miami. During the winter, when the blimp had few work opportunities out of town, it was common to see it cruising lazily up and down the beach, and at night you could spot where it was by the light display. It was definitely a part of Miami Beach living in those days!

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I recently gave a talk at my old work place but to newer people. I mentioned that I saw the Hindenburg come cruising over our neighborhood one day in '36 and what a response I got! " You saw the Hindenburg!" For me, it was just another one of the things that happened when I was a kid but to them it was a great historic event. Time sure changes perspective .

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    somewhere I have a 6-8' blueprint ,from the ''goodyear-zepplin'' airship company,of the structures of the ships

14. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you!

16. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    I still have this hidden away somewhere at the parent's house... A large part of my childhood. Was always amazed at the size of the things vs their noise and elegance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFGq5ApVz8

17. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #17 Streetsurfer, Feb 13, 2017
  18. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's great. I play golf at the Pompano Golf course all the time and always saw the blimp taking off and landing next door. It was quite a sight.

19. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nice.

Carl - I think we're ready for a Stooge screening. I finished final edit last week. Release next month.

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm ready!

21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember the one (Columbia?) stationed in Spring, TX (Houston) on Cypresswood near I-45 in the early 1990s. Used to take the kids to see it come and go.

22. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #22 Jet-X, Feb 14, 2017
  23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    One of my clients got the opportunity to fly in one during the 90's. She still remembers it today and was a highlight of her life.

24. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #24 Jet-X, Mar 3, 2017
    FYI, Goodyear is having its final public tour on Sunday, March 5 at the Carson, California airship base. I'll also be previewing (maybe selling early!) the documentary.

Come say hi, see the blimp.

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #25 Bob Parks, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Somewhere in the recesses of my cranium, which is getting emptier and emptier , I remember that the name for the non-ridged airship came when a British officer was recording some operations of them and referred to it as "Airship type B-limp."