'Official' F12M Rumours and Launch | Page 99 | FerrariChat

'Official' F12M Rumours and Launch

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Traveller, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The degree of change there will be between the F12 and the F12M no one knows accurately but to me just the fact that Ferrari has used the M for the provisional name of the new car is a clear indication that it will be a Modificata version. Modificata always mean modified an never a car with a new architecture so what can be guessed is just to which extent these modification will go.

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Much stronger evolution than the 550 to 575. You'll see.

3. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #2453 ohno, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I´ve found an interesting picture about the design development of the J50.
    In the background (red circle) you can see a picture which is definitely not
    the J50, because it has two pipes on each side and the overhang on the back
    is to big for a mid engine car. Could this be the new F12M and the new wheels?
    Scraggy described them like angles forks and not symmetrical...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I have. Thank you.

Bigger engines in both cases. 575 got the F1 while the M gets electric steering & 4WS. M is a visually more different than 575 relative to their predecessors. Which is why I would say it is closer to 550-575 than 599-F12 which was a big change onto a new platform.

5. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    550 to 575M is such a bad example here. I know all of the differences (and there are many), but visually, except in a few small areas they are practically identical. There are soo many old "how to tell a 550 from a 575" threads. I don't think that's going to be a problem here...

6. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    True and that is most likely also pushing it comparing it to the 575 vs. 599. I guess I was just trying to express my thought on it being a big leap for a mid-life.

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Indeed it is, at least like FF to GTC4, but it is not a new model and thus you cannot expect a similar lifespan.

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes that's true. That being said, the 575 had a four year lifespan and the F430 had a five year life. So maybe five years is too long, but a 2021 year change which makes it four years is not entirely impossible.

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Yes sorry not articulating myself well, basically 458/488 is a 10 year run. Like F12 will be.

I think it will get more like 911 series, very evolutionary. Certainly FF/GTC implies that, Cali ditto, contrast some big historic jumps.

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #2460 roma1280, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Any thoughts on whether I should upgrade the F12 to an F12m as a daily driver? Might have a lightly used F12 for sale haha

11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    No that is not the upgraded M wheel

12. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Lucky for Ferrari the front engine V12 competition is weak, they will get caned mid engine next few years. My prediction 488VS not as good in any way as REGULAR 720.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is less direct competition moving forward, apparently - the 488VS will be closer to a 675LT in terms of target, but the 675LT will not exist anymore; the 720 as a regular car is in-between the regular 488 and the F12 (I guess this is also true in terms of pricing - I expect the 720 to cost about the same as the 675LT, being more powerful but not a special version - and that's a lot more than a 488 GTB).

14. belfiglio

belfiglio Rookie

Sep 13, 2009
  15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Yes to both the thoughts and the answer to your question.....but NO to the abuse you inflict.....

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #2466 MDEL, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agreed plus the rear wheel steering and upgraded SSC etc. Combined with electronic steering should make handling interesting.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Interesting; perhaps you could add the tdF figures to your chart. HP / litre is impressive...

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I didn't include the TDF on purpose because it's more a sports model but the figure is really impressive 122 hp/litre very close to the F12M 123,1 hp/litre.

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Useful chart, thank you. Clearly identifies the leap represented by a new model versus the mild enhancement of a mid life. This is clearly a mid life as we know.

21. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France

But for the better?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

A 3 year lifespan of the M with the LE model at 2-3 years most likely to occur circa 2020- no proof but looking at the competition, History and changing landscape there will have to be a shortened lifespan on this platform.......

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

Careful guys , I wear that cologne ! ....... I don't have many friends though ....... on second thoughts the two may be connected ! Lol...

24. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Is this true?

"But it is not the only platform on which Ferrari operates. For cars with an engine in the middle for the passenger cabin is also preparing a new carbon monocoque style competitive McLaren. This should be common to all future Ferrari from the base 488 GTB (resp. Its successor) to the successor laferrari . Single piece also cheaper and simplify the development of new models so because Ferrari can respond more quickly to market demands."

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not at all clear why so late in the game such questions are being brought. The F12M is certainly an F12 as was the F12 tdf. One was the LE and the other the mid-life. If there is any doubt one can always check the part numbers when they come available. A lot can be learned by studying the commonality in the actual parts lists if you care to take the time.

Interestingly, Ferrari does not seem to be deviating too far from the last published production cycle plan way back in 2010. The F12 B is running a year longer as has been theorized here due to popular demand and production capacity with all the other variants. Here the sweater has shown influence. They will make THOUSANDS of the F12M and it will follow the same depreciation curve as the F12 B IMO. It will likely not be less of a curve because the replacement will be a leap ahead, hugely marketed, and in five years from now the new buyers will want gadgets galore and that hybrid callout on the VIN. In addition, they will likely be flipped for the LEs of which there may be a couple or more. Its like musical chairs or the hot potato game. Those looking to play only want to end up with the best and least depreciating of the series.

I continue to believe that the last and final F12 LE will be most magnificent and in very low quantities. Much turmoil to get one of those pitting long term customers against each other. A center piece to any collection and will collect dust faster than the best micro fiber cloths.

The real news is finally we see the new bodywork of the F12M!