Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas | FerrariChat

Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess most have heard about this by now. Really sucks, you see this every now and then. I can't imagine what it's like to be an instructor and put your life in someones hands that may kill you. And these cars are sooooo fast now without all the safety features of a race car.

We have a national meet coming up in Daytona. Even a 308 should get to 130-140 right? 488s and the super cars should top 160 and maybe over 180? Most will not have hans devices. I guess I'm getting old. I understand that these driving experiences are not as rigorous as the FCA DEs, but I just can't help but worry.

Instructor, Student Killed In Fiery Lamborghini Track Experience Crash In Las Vegas

2 die in fiery crash at SpeedVegas racetrack | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Client, Instructor Die in Lamborghini Crash at Vegas Track | KXNT 840 AM « CBS Las Vegas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    458 Challenge cars routinely do 190+ in Daytona Turn 4. That's why I coach solely using in car data and high definition video. Period.

It's unfortunate, but not the first time...

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    True! Thankfully the driver was not being reckless on public road. I think any in car instructor is a brave hero. Those kind of places should do what k1 speed does. If you get out of hand they remotely cut your power.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Omg beyond tragic!
    so so sad
    probably 2 young people no less

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    No, one young guy celebrating his wedding, IIRC, and a two-time cancer survivor in the right seat.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Surprised this doesn't happen more often. I could never be an instructor and ride in the right seat.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Damn damn damn! The start of ones lives together, and the one that beat all odds twice. You could not script it like that, no one would believe it could be that tragic. Peter, you are the wise one on this forum, what should it be if you were in control of the universe? Should these be stopped to protect those that just can't help themselves? The grief for all is just not worth it. The family and the business owners..... Unbridled speed kills and maims every time it meets something solid.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I don't know... :(

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I suspect the lawsuits are being filed as this is being typed.

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    very sad rip

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I suspect there are strong waivers that everyone signed that binds their respective heirs and successors too. However, who knows.

12. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've done several driving experiences, and they all have lengthy waivers of liability. I recall the Richard Petty Driving Experience was the most detailed - that was a 2 page document with 24 places for a signature or initials. In that one, you drive restricted stock cars, without a co-pilot, with your speed modulated by an instructor in a car ahead who speeds up or slows down based on what he sees in his rearview. I wound up maintaining an average 144mph around Charlotte Motor Speedway - that was the AVERAGE, no idea what the top speed was on the straightaways.

The article from the Las Vegas paper in the Lambo accident stated the driver was in his 30's and the instructor in his late 50's.

13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    See Lambo thread. Just announced: Recalling over 5,900 cars for fires.

14. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    The articles say that both died on impact. If true, the end result would have been as tragic even if the car never caught on fire. Is anybody here familiar with the track? Would a hans + a roll cage have saved them?

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That's awesome. I was surprised how small Charlotte gets at speed.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    ...it used to be that you had to be a REAL racer to get on a road course.

School, laps, tech inspection, fuel cells, safety gear, etc.

This whole racer wannabe stuff brings with it this kind of stuff...

Street cars are for the street.

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very sad news, incomprehensible losses. Those two gentlemen should not have died. Something is not right and it's not the Lambo I am alluding to. I'm wondering about the track being touted the "longest and fastest racetrack in Las Vegas".

Should these novice track experiences be offered to inexperienced track drivers on such potentially lethal courses? IMO, the longer and faster a course is, the more difficult it would be for novices to learn and the more likely novices are to exceed prudent speeds. IMO, they should be having novices track experiences on shorter, more twisty courses where speeds would naturally be held down and potential shunts be "less costly" in every way. Perhaps it sounds counter intuitive but I think more and tighter corners, shorter straights would be ultimately safer... and probably more instructive.

19. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    More people probably die on their way to the track to watch races than the people in them. Bad things can happen, and driving on a track is no exception.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The problem comes when you market something as "safe" when it obviously can become "unsafe".

I have not driven on this track but the other one (Exotics Racing) is a smaller track with more twists and if I remember -- no walls-- just desert run off. Of course you can still flip a car but crashing into a wall at 150 MPH will certainly ruin your day.

I am questioning the state of the prep of the car (Exotics Racing does modify the cars before they hit the track) and the design of this track. Something like this has never happened at the other 2 track events in Vegas and they've been running for over 10 years.

It's bad for these two unfortunate people but also bad in general for all enthusiasts.

21. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Exactly..Ive done track days in my cars, and my old race cars..accidents happen..Ive seen them been in them...
    Look at how the California Speedway and the Porsche CGT accident ended up...many parties paid and were held liable...
    There will be more then one on this one if Im were to bet..

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I guess this is going to also affect Cars and Coffee this weekend since they relocated to this facility. The weather may have the biggest affect though.

23. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    This is true, but even some of the guys that actually know what they are doing get killed. It's not a sport if you can't get killed. R.I.P. my brothers.

There are some things I wouldn't do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNa5dcLccS4

24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    OMG I have seen that, I think I read he died, but after reading the comments perhaps not. Must have been the snow.

+John Cruz Yeah, he broke several bones. He's lucky he attempted this during the winter when there was snow in the ground.

25. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The waivers mean nothing , there will be lawsuits and Lambo will get sued for sure , especially since they just announced a recall on the aventador's regarding the car's potential to catch fire .
    Very sad scenario for all and even is the lawsuits are successful , they will not bring the dead driver and passenger . RIP

Dan A likes this.