Door detent? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Door detent?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, May 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Wouldnt surprise me if a Lada used the same one, seriously. The ferrari gas caps pre 79 and the dry sump tank caps with the yellow zinc center are all Lada gas caps. I remember a thread in the 308 section where they were going to tool up to mould the plastic outer ring to restore them until I gave them a link to $4 gas caps on ebay lol.

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's so strange that a manufacturer would make two similar but different parts.

3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #28 GT Jones, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The screws are 50mm Center- center or approx 2" apart. I think there is enough slop in the mounting area to use either size. Stroke of the door check is about 45mm or 1 7/8 but that includes a compressed rubber piece that ends the travel. First to find a substitute wins the fame and adoration that can only be found on F chat!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #29 GT Jones, Feb 18, 2017
  5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Those models not imported to US but common in Europe. It is one of those models that donated the auto trans shifter slot, the rectangle with the bristles.
    Ken

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Trying to get dimensions for a Toyota part #68610-60040. It looks pretty close

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just got my car home, and it was the first thing that popped up on my "things that annoy me" list

8. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Bad News/Good News

The bad news is that the mounting centres of a Hyundai (Tucson) check strap are 55mm.

The good news is that the mounting centres of a Subaru (BRZ) strap are 50mm. I suspect that these are generic to all Japanese cars and come from the same external supplier.

I fitted an "as new" pair of original Ferrari straps to a 365 for no improvement - probably because the 365/400 doors are just too heavy for that design (and maybe for any other)

I have all the trim out of the 365 now, so the timing is right to investigate further.

Regards

WM

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nothing a 1/2" drill bit and some big fender washers couldn't fix :)

10. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #35 GT Jones, Mar 3, 2017
    In my case, the detention bumps have worn out. Maybe I could build them up by brazing on some material then shaping it with a dremel but that would take a whole lotta time. A bolt in would be much nicer!

11. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    #36 Bill26, Mar 9, 2017
    I have now finished fitted a modern replacement check strap (from a Toyota 86) to my 365 with moderate success. I am pretty sure that this is a generic design used in most Japanese and Korean cars. The bolt centres are 55mm (not 50mm and the same as Ferrari as I previously incorrectly measured) and so there is a little more modification required.

The issue limiting a better result is the short stroke of the original piece which is 45mm (fully open) The original stroke of the modern strap is around 90mm. This means that the Ferrari door has twice the mechanical advantage over the detent as a Toyota door for the same opening. Even if it is not possible to close the Toyota strap by hand, it has an uphill battle to hold the Ferrari door open at all. The Ferrari geometry is a fundamental design issue and not changeable.

Modification of the check strap involved shortening the link to the same length as the original and drilling a 6mm hole (for the body attachment). The mounting studs were ground off and the mounting holes elongated to match the 50mm mounting centres in the door.

The result is much better than the original, but still not fantastic. At least the door will now stay open on level ground. It is good enough that I will fit a similar new strap to the other door.

Regards

WM

12. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    how about a latch for the hood??