348 rack bushing replacement | FerrariChat

348 rack bushing replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by rolaszek, Aug 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rolaszek

rolaszek Karting

Apr 28, 2010
    Plainfield, Ill
    Full Name:
    Bob the nubie
    Hello All,
    Have heard there was a way to replace inner rack bushing on 348 ts without removing rack. Someone described availability of these parts but I cannot find in US. The guy in Phoenix only deals only in refurbished complete rack assemblies.

Can anyone comment on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. edoutback

edoutback Rookie

Dec 3, 2011
    Analomink, PA
    Full Name:
    Edward Baker
    Thread bump!

My rack is in great need of a inner bushing, with the passenger side jacked up the inner tierod slops all around when i move my tire back and forth. I just need info for a new inner bushing whether it be dimensions to get one made up or a source to purchase a new/ or better one. I can figure out how to install it myself.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't remember exactly but, i think there is a bolt/s that come loose/strip that need to be tightened down/replaced. Again, I'm not totally sure on that, but if you run a search of the archive there was a thread about it a little while back.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for bringing this up Edward. (Welcome to the forum too btw. :D:D)

I just checked mine the other day and the LH inner rack bush must have collapsed. :eek:

I need to pull it apart, take some measurements and have a new bush machined up.

If anyone has the specs on the size of the bush needed, that will be great so I can have our fitter at work make me one prior to pulling it apart.

If no-one can help, that's ok. I will get to it asap and post the size of the bush required and take pics along the way etc.etc.

I remember reading few threads here in regards to replacing this bush. But I think it was some guys in the 308 section doing the same job and perhaps the same job on a 246. I don't remember if any 348 guys have done this job before.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks Mike, reading that though makes me believe he was looking for stiffer/harder bushes that support the rack to the body.

Not the inner rack bush issue we have here. Looks like I will have to be the guinea pig and make it happen. :eek::eek:

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  8. edoutback

edoutback Rookie

Dec 3, 2011
    Analomink, PA
    Full Name:
    Edward Baker
  9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hi mate, there ya go. Totally forgot Mike did this. :eek:

That's what we need, just gotta get specs now. He hasn't logged on in nearly 3 months. I will send him an email and hopefully he responds soon! :)

10. edoutback

edoutback Rookie

Dec 3, 2011
    Analomink, PA
    Full Name:
    Edward Baker
    Any word?? I might just stop being lazy and just pull the boot off and throw a caliper on it. He did say he made his 25mm long so all we need in ID and OD.

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nah mate, but you're right............that is all we need and it won't take long to get the measurements.

I haven't had the time to get to it and it will be 4-6 weeks before I do get the chance.

So if you get to it before I do, please let me know.

12. edoutback

edoutback Rookie

Dec 3, 2011
    Analomink, PA
    Full Name:
    Edward Baker
    Well unfortunately the way the inner tie rod boot clamp is sitting in a position to where I cannot unscrew to loosen it with the rack in the car. Not only that but the opening that we need measurements from is too far recesed into the frame to get a caliper on it properly to take the measurements. So Ive decided to remove the rack. I have the rack completely unbolted and unattached from the car. Ive also unattached the sway bar mounts and endlinks to move the sway bar around. My problem is is that I cannot for the life of me get that rack to slide out of the passage it sits in. I wish i could remove the sway bar entirely but it looks like the frame was built around the thing lol. Whats stopping it is I cannot get the splined bit that the steering joints attaches to far enough out of the firewall. The sway bar is impeading that 1/2 an inch i need to get it to clear. Any suggestions for this cracker barrel puzzle would be appreciated!!

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    welcome to hell.

Discharge the coolant, and remove the hose under the rack
    Discharge the AC, and disconnec the hoses under the rack
    Remove the brake lines from under the rack
    Remove the Clutch line from under the rack
    Remove the drop links both sides
    Remove the sway bar first
    Undo the hydraulic lines to the rack

By now, you must have had the entire trunk liner out of the car and the steering shaft removed from the rack.

wear gloves
    Slide the rack toward the passenger side opening, tilt the other end of the rack toward underneath the car, slide the rack out from UNDER the car.

A lift really helps. It is a two person job.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Pictures, where are the PICTURES?

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is hardly worth the stress and trouble. Rotex in Gardena Calif. will rebuild any power rack for well under 200 and a manual rack for a lot less. They have done 2 for me in the last year and one was on a 550 ferrari with perfect results. If you dink with the ends the guts internally are not far behind. I think just playing with the tierod ends is more of a short term bandaid and sourcing the little parts in there is not easy. But a professional rebuild brings the entire rack up to snuff. We even should be looking at rack bushings holding the rack to the chassis. You will be rewarded by a good job done 100% unless you are just trying to get the car ready to sell.

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    ****, well that totally sux!!!! :(

Good luck mate, IF you rebuild it.................give me some measurements please. :D

I haven't even started mine since we last 'talked'. Too busy fixing other cars still, probably another month before I get to it. :(

17. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
  18. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    wow! thats pretty loose. i just refurbished my rack and theres only 1 bush (passenger side). In order to get those inner joints off you need to drill that stamped section off (you realize when you see it, i can't describe it in english), otherwise you would ruin the threads from that shaft. hardest part is getting that rack off.

i had loose bush, but joints were very good so i just replaced boots, grease and machined that bush from machining nylon

19. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have measurements for the bushing? I'd like to have one ahead of time.

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    WOW! Those are really loose.

21. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    First bush i made, i didnt get desired clearance to it. If i find that i can get measures. But its nothing special, you can make one of those in 15mins. Oe bush is triangular in OD to allow air travel through it (otherwise boot will get vacuum or balloon when operating). I made 3 grooves in od surface to allow air pass it

22. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You might check with Norwoods Auto Italia in Dallas. I think they have bushings made using a better than OEM material. They just finished fixing the rack on my 348.

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That what you call having your moneys worth mate