'Official' F12M Rumours and Launch | Page 112 | FerrariChat

'Official' F12M Rumours and Launch

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Traveller, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #2776 Lukeylikey, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    These three photos above are not really representative. The 812 is taken at close range, not square on, with a wide-angled iPhone cam.

I saw this car in the flesh and loved it instantly. Not a lithe, swoopy thing but has all the elements of great and enduring design, the type I believe has always characterised Ferrari anyhow. Why should they use an evolutionary style, a la Pininfarina? The world has moved on. Aerodynamics should play a crucial role in the designs of a car company whose heritage is based on competition and F1 in particular.

This car represents a very significant step forward in the use of aerodynamics. The design integrates this far better than it might have done, with the aero elements providing detailing that is, to me, interesting as well as functional. The overall effect is more muscular than the F12, and that's ok - plenty of cars that the world now considers exsquisite have a muscular rather than feline look to them. They have worked very hard on this car and it shows.

Ferrari have done all this while referencing the back-catalogue very strongly with elements of Daytona and 599 very apparent in the stance, proportioning and surfacing.

As ever, it's fine for people to dislike the design - good design often does provoke a divide, in my book average or poor automotive design leaves everyone finding nothing to dislike, whereas good automotive design splits opinion but leaves some feeling very strongly positive. Seems like they did that. Not everyone will be a 'buyer' after all.

I had not really thought about ordering the 812 but had to as soon as I saw it. It will mean my soon(ish) to arrive 488 Spider will have a shorter life with me than usual but I'm looking forward to the new Superfast. As others have said, I think this car will not be easy to get hold of.

2. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK

Per the Superfast, I don't like the awkward styling of the vent next to the exhaust pipes. The Lusso's solution is much cleaner. When people spec the Superfast my two cents is they'll need to avoid adding additional complexity. Exteriors, interiors, wheels, calipers etc - balance will be vital.

The surprising fussiness of the Superfast makes the TDF look like a sensational classic. I didn't think that would happen so quickly.

That said, when the 550 Maranello was launched the naysayers said it was a bland looking Toyota Supra in disguise. The designers knew better.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    What's great design and beauty in a car?

I paraphrase one of the possible definitions "Beauty in a car……………..means that the car possesses no bad angles - or at least it does a good enough job of hiding them. The car follows the golden ratio as much as possible and maintains desirable proportions throughout and at no point does any one component look like an afterthought…………………In the service of aerodynamics and lap times, true beauty—classic, timeless beauty—is an afterthought"

4. Honken

Honken Karting

Mar 24, 2014
    Gothenburg
    Full Name:
    Henrik
    Wonder how much active aero the car have and if it would be possible to have even more hidden active aero to be able make the car "cleaner" at the back. In other words is the design for the rear part pure performance oriented?

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Has anyone who has a car on order actually considered cancelling?

I also think that the VS is now almost guaranteed to be an Aperta as I'm not sure how you could make this car more aggressive without becoming totally cartoonish.

6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    strongly disagree ! more corvette wagon with a ubiquitous overhang

7. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I mean more Pininfarina look vs the superfast , however i still prefer gtc4 to FF ( as the most people in this forum ) but i love also FF!

8. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    #2783 nads, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    This is not new.....happens EVERY time Ferrari release a new model, people have short memories or conveniently forget comments they had initially made as the new design 'settles in'.

9. Goodman

Goodman Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    George
    I remember a year ago after the TDF launch, many haters out there compared the car with the corvette...
    Today, same people, using the TDF design as a reference point of view...
    In my opinion the 812 SF is an amazing car!

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Had my order in before seeing the car (based on Ingegnere's sketches) and now want it even more so.

Only issue is colour - giving me brain damage :)

11. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    +1 let's wait and see how opinions will change in time

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agreed, the reason I am going to take a slightly later car than I initially planned as this car will be hyper sensitive and good to see other real world schemes.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I don't want to be disrespectful in any way that's why I don't give my opinion about the 812 until I see it live and I've learned that some times what we see in photos is the antipode of the real thing. However looking at the rear of the car which is the less consensual part and also observing other angles, looks like the 812 is much more sensitive to the color scheme than for instance the F12b. Caution and observation is therefore recommended before choosing the best chromatic combination that enhances the lines and all the beauty of this Ferrari.

14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yep, let's wait and see.

My summary over the last new models: Cali T, next to the new turbo engine no design innovation, just a facelift. 488, next to the new turbo engine no design innovation, just a facelift. GTC4 Lusso, next to a new turbo engine and a little bit additional hp's in the V12 (in homeopathic quantities) no real design innovation (two additional taillights were the most courageous measure) and now the 812sf, the new name and the wannabe "racing rear" are more or less the biggest innovations. Oh I forgot the killer feature rear wheel steering, sorry!

Wow! Is this really all Ferrari? It seems "let's wait and see" is Sergio Marchionne's "winning strategy".

I just hope that Ferrari does not need too long until they have their new platform ready.

15. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Any sense of where lap times will be? Between the f12 and the Tdf, I assume?

16. CWL

CWL Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    The rear end on the berlinetta is amazing. Miss it in the SF.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Wow, ordered based on my sketch; no pressure, right? LOL

Congratulations, BTW. Whatever you choose, please not yellow with black wheels! Although I agree part of the problem here is the angle of the shots, the black wheels really make this car look like a prototype. In fact, I think it's the last prototype with the psychedelic camo showing hints of yellow and same wheels.

I think the best color for this car will be a medium grey metallic which will show all the details of the surfacing around the vents and grilles (unfortunately blunted in the touched up release pics) and will lessen the "clash" between a light paint with the black and darkness of the multiple vents and holes.

18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    BTW, don't know if noted yet, but the yellow car is missing the body colored (or otherwise) diffuser at the back.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No. The FF was the PF look.

20. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry was relating to the smoked rear lights

21. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Luca often liked to point out, every Ferrari should look amazing in red color.

Lately, I can see very specific trend, where people realize that new Ferrari`s look better in darker colors (grey most often). Is that trend good or bad, I dont know, but it definitely shows that Ferrari is going in different (visual) direction lately.

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Actually, even in the LdM era, the bigger cars were often introduced with cooler, metallic colors - I'm thinking 456 in metallic blue, 612 in silver - and the 812 I think fits the description of a bigger car.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think the Maranello (550 and 575) and the 456 GT were terrible in red; the 599 could cope with it (preferably not Rosso Corsa, rather some metallic red) and the F12 accepts red pretty well. Not sure about the 812S, need to see it in the metal.

24. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I feel like the gtc4lusso is the same. Only works in certain colors, while f12, ff and 458/488 worked in any colors

25. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I feel like the gtc4lusso is the same. Only works in certain colors, while f12, ff and 458/488 worked in any colors