Porsche 959 Maintenance - Original vs Canepa Spec | FerrariChat

Porsche 959 Maintenance - Original vs Canepa Spec

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by cnpapa24, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have been curious about 959s but every car I've researched seems to have had an ungodly amount of money spent on recent maintenance. From what I understand, Canepa's modifications eliminate the problems inherent in the original spec. Is a Canepa spec car truly as maintenance free as any other Porsche? What is long term maintenance like on an original spec car?

I would like to hear owners' input on the subject and curious if the kinks can be worked out of the original spec without the Canepa modifications.

Would really appreciate the input from both groups of owners and others that have had first hand experience with these cars.

Thanks in advance.

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The 959 is a fabulous car. My friend has one of the 25 959S's. His was updated by Canepa. He drives it all the time and loves it. From what I can recall, Canepa takes out the "vintage" Motronec and replaces it with a modern programmable system. This I think unleashes 650 usable horsepower. The 959S already, from the factory has a simplified suspension without the complex height adjustment. I think Canepa does this modification to the normal 959's as well. The Denloc wheels are machined for standard 17" non-Denloc tires. I've been to Canepa's shop and have seen the extensive process a 959 goes through. He basically takes them completely apart.

Freeman

3. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    As much as I don't really like what I hear about Canepa... He did go to congress with Bill gates to get the cars to North America. Since none of the Porsche mechanics have much experience with them, I'd probably say stick with Canepa for anything more than an oil change

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info!

Anyone have a non Canepa car that has been able to solve the prevalent maintenance issues?

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks again Freeman. You're right - going straight to the source is the right way to go. I had a very nice conversation with Bruce over the weekend regarding his process, which was extremely informative. Will be curious to hear how Tony handles things.

7. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Mike Callas (RIP) is Tony's dad and was a true gentleman and incredible mechanic. I had the pleasure of having him work on my car just before he passed away. Mike grew up in an amazing environment.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    EPE in Natick, MA - epe.com - is the only place to have a 959 serviced. They have completely rebuilt several 959 engines and have access to tools and knowledge of a long time enthusiast as well as access to NLA parts. I don't believe Canepa has ever completely rebuilt a 959 motor. And most, if not all, of Canepa's 959 people are no longer there. I'm told that PCNA will not work on 959's in the US. I'm not a Callas fan.
    Canepa modified cars have issues. TPS is disconnected and TPS is tied into the function ECU. The MOTEC units used on the Canepa cars don't interface with the one 959 systems. I looked at one Canepa 959 and the parts removed had been hacked, literally out of the car! There was a box with cut wire harnesses, sheet metal, real hack job.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Haven't heard of them before, but thanks for the info. I will look them up as well.

11. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    No he did not. He had nothing to do with Gates at that time nor was he involved with creating or passing Show and Display.

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I've seen 959's at EPE. Last time I was there I also saw McQueen's last 930 getting motor work. They're known for being reliable and thorough and maybe without the bluster sometimes found out west!

13. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Regarding Canepa, does this guy ever actually sell any of the cars up for sale at his shop. I'm not being sarcastic I'm legitimately asking this question because it seems like some of the cars on his website have been up for sale for years.
    One of the Fchatters here said that most of his inventory is on consignment.
    If he reads these threads, I wish he would start to post prices so you don't have to call on every car.

14. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hi there,
    I have had my 959 for 8 years now. When I first bought the car the car hadn't been serviced for quite a while and was sitting for long periods of time. So car had to be recommissioned and it cost the seller 40k GBP to do this. Since then, I have done an annual service on the car which has never cost me more that 1500-2000 GBP but I do make sure the car does get started and moved around at least every month if not more frequently. Car is sublime and way ahead of anything built at the time and even more contemporary cars.

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback. None of the commonly known issues have reared their head since then? No suspension issues?