Elbow/Elbow area pain | FerrariChat

Elbow/Elbow area pain

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by amenasce, Feb 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    For the past week i have had a pain in and around my elbows. The pain is mostly in the elbow but i will also feel it down in my forearm (ext) and up in my arm. Strangely, the same pain has started on my other arm also.

I think it happened when i traveled and i carried a heavy bag for too long between gates. Could also be from benching too much and too quick (I got a weight bench a few months ago).
    I stopped lifting/benching but the pain wont go away. It's not super painful but it hurts when i pick up my kid for example.

I read i need to ice the area, add omega 3 to my diet and do some streches (elbow and wrist flexors stretch).

Anyone recommend any good cream? Or anything else?

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Could be mild tendinitis, but on both arms at the same time sounds odd though. I had it on my right arm for a bit but after a good massage session by a trained PT it pretty much disappeared. I told her I had been using icyhot and she said that was good.

I kept working out through it though because it only hurt with certain movements, so I just didn't do those exercises.

I'd have it looked at, it could be as simple as mine or something more serious like tennis elbow.

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Commonly referred to as tennis elbow...I have had it and only lost it by working out even further, on Gym weights and machines..

Loved working out so much, I created a line of Fitness machines..
    about to enter market this spring..

4. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I ordered Penetrex Pain Relief Medication that has Arnica. Hopefully it will help. It's been almost 2 weeks.

5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    as above has said... outside of elbow aka tennis elbow. Inside of elbow aka golfers elbow.

I have both!! use a band that you can buy at any sporting goods store, made of wet suit material, and Velcro band to tighten up.. like 20 bucks.

put on about 1/2 -1" below elbow joint.. tighten up to where it relieves pain.

works great!

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have this and get cortisone shots seems to work for a few months

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    For less drastic and often more effective treatments, try icing 20 minutes, remove ice for the next 20 minutes and re-apply ice for another 20 minutes. Do this twice a day. If you're strapped for time just ice 20 minutes twice a day.

Application of a strong topical anti-inflammatory medication like VOLTAREN would be advisable. Finally, since you have the financial means, if your injury proves stubborn you may want to consider COLD LASER treatments which is available from the more sophisticated physiotherapy clinics. It works immediately on inflammation.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #8 darth550, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Good exercise for tennis elbow

take tennis ball and stand next to wall. Place ball between wall and elbow and lean up and down having ball roll over painful area. Simple and effective like a foam roller for rest of body

10. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Those gyro exercise balls are great for this type of pain/injury, where it could be caused by some laxity in the joint due to overuse in one direction or specific movement, and lack of training and development to other supporting muscles of the joint. The exercise balls help to build better support around the entire joint, helping parts to track straight and rub less on things they ought not.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The concern with this injury/condition is long-term, chronic inflammation. I ended up with it from sporting clays (specifically, from pulling bore snakes through barrels of my shotguns). The longer it persists, the harder it is to rid yourself of it. Surgical solutions can be necessary in extreme cases, so don't let it get that bad.

CW

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    BTW
    Creatine helped me dramatically
    By retaining water in my muscles,
    I was able to overcome a painful workout until it all went away
    For good.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    How old are you? Bear in mind that tendon rupture - particularly in the bicep or shoulder area - increases significantly in males over 40. Ask me how I know :)

Men tend to ignore these things and work through the pain. If you are feeling pain, see an orthopedist, because any sort of tendon repair surgery is going to take recovery time. Ask me how I know! :)

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, seek out a doctor for chronic pain.

I had a forearm problem a few years ago. Didn't stop playing hockey and lived with it for 4 years. I finally went to an orthopedist for a bad knee and incidentally asked him about my elbow which I thought was just a persistent strain. Turns out osteoarthritis has set in and is likely irreversible and difficult if not impossible to treat.
    I'm currently seeking out treatment options, but it's possible I will lose function of the elbow in the near future.

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I saw a dr for the pain and he couldnt find anything wrong other than the usual you probably hurt yourself while lifting weight, give it time BUT it's been 2 months+ since i last lifted weight and i still feel the pain.

I think it is due to sugar. I noticed the pain is more severe when i eat badly (fast food, ice cream or chocolate for example).
    I wonder if sugar is just causing inflammation to that area?

If yes, other than cutting sugar, do you guys know of any supplements or other (tea/drops/...) that i can take to reduce my sugar level? I have been drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and oregano oil.

16. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Have you been examined to rule out any disk issues in your neck?

17. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You might test for food sensitivities due to leaky gut. With leaky gut, incompletely digested proteins enter the bloodstream and can deposit in joints and cause inflammation. It was the cause for an arthritis diagnosis for me. Three and four day fasts led to a complete removal of the pain and I realized it was foods causing my pain and other issues. Wound up with over thirty foods that my body had built antibodies to, which wreack havoc on joints, tissue, and organs.

If you want to test with fasting read quickfasting.com before taking one on to make sure you start and finish one right and safely.

ELISA (enzymatic linked immuno sorbent assay) is the food testing that I had done. I had injured my knee at work, and wasn't healing, so implemented my old standby of fasting to assist that, and discovered the food connection to the inflammation throughout my body. It was all started by celiac disease which created inflammation in the gut leading to leaky gut, leading to the formation of the antibodies to combat the proteins leaked into the blood supply.

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Andrew, I too am suffering from elbow pain on both arms. It is golfers elbow. The pain is severe at times. It nearly sways prevents me from sleeping well. In fact I often try to sleep on my arms to immobilize my arms so as to let them rest/relax.

I have a doctor appt next wednesday. I want my life back which means I want to be able to ride my bike and work out again.

19. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #19 ME308, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

in my case, I woke up at night by severe pain, could not even hold a tooth brush in the morning, no talking about a glas of water with a straightened out arm -
    self induced by over trainig / stressing ... consequently inflammation of biceps tendon and supra spinatus followed suit
    had the injury on both sides (tennis arm = outer elbow) - right side took 6 months, left side took 12 months to completely heal

if your doc could exclude organic bone damages, reumatic or arthritic developements, then good for you ... and good advice as for "give it time"

that is exactly where it comes from, rowing/pulling would be another exercise that can easily lead to elbow pain - in general: it comes from OVERSTRESSING

2 months is nothing ... think more 6-9 months, depending on how far the inflammation has gotten, maybe even 12 if you start your training too early...

no, although cutting your blood sugar level / carb intake is basically a good idea

is it more your "inner" (thumb) side of your elbow or the outer (small finger) side ?

inner = golf arm
    outer = tennis arm (you also feel a "press pain" as soon as you press on your elbow with a finger)

the problem here is that the small tendons which connects the muscles to the elbow are overstressed and mostly inflamed

so what CAN you do to accelerate the healing process ?
    the answer is: STRETCHING (arm/muscles/tendons around your elbow area)

try the following exercises 3 times a day - and see if they help
    (you should feel relief and considerable improvement in a very short period of time, aka 5 to 10 days or earlier !)

a) if outer elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, make a fist, now turn/roll your fist towards your body and towards your forearm (you will feel pain now !) grab your fist with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to pull and bend your fist further towards your forearm while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
    hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
    you will feel how the pain eases

b) if inner elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, straighten out your fingers, roll your hand upwards (you will feel pain !) now grab your fingertips with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to bend your fingers further towards you while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
    hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
    you will feel how the pain eases

c) hanging !

VERY effective and can be started either right away or as soon as one feels improvement from the above two exercises

necessary tools: wall ladder, pull up bar, bar between door frame or door itself (I used the open door)

grab the bar or upper door rim with both hands, now let your body slowly hang loose, supporting it while "standing" on your toes - straighten your arms completely, don`t try to resist or pull ! you will really feel the stretch all along your arms - and yes, it will hurt in the beginning - "hang" like that for 20s, do 5 reps (again: don`t overdo it) - the more advanced you get, the longer you can hang and the lesser the support from your legs/toes can be ... you will advance fast ! it`s one of the most effective exercises to ease your pain in this matter

well, so far that`s about it :)

a word of warning: sometimes the pain gets a little worse before it gets better - don`t worry, that`s normal

in case you should feel considerable improvement, maybe even unexpectedly fast, keep on doing the exercises anyway - the pain will come back as soon as you stop - so keep doing those exercises for a couple of weeks to a month even if there are times where you don`t feel any pain, btw. you will learn how to control the pain

but: DON´T start lifting weights too early just because you feel you`re getting better, GIVE IT TIME ;)

since your injury is only a couple months old, you have a good chance that the described exercises will help you - they cost nothing and you can`t loose

so it`s up to you now ... good luck and report back !

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I did a few years ago when i had terrible pain by my neck,shoulder that would make my arms feel numb. I went to a few Drs and they didnt find anything and just gave me PT. Then i met an alternative medicine Dr who asked me lifestyle questions and told me my bad eating habits were clugging my vains and pinching my nerves which were where the pain was coming from. He prescribed me pills that he makes himself and after a week the pain was gone.

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I have been reading about this and that could very well be it. I do have bad eating habits. I love chocolate and when i have some, i usually do not stop until there are no more left.
    Thanks for the link. i will do the fast as i can feel my body is telling me to stop. Even my hair feels dry.

Funny enough, my mother in law told me to take Cambodia pills. I guess she knows me better than i do!

Thanks for the help!!

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Let me know what the Dr tells you. I havent ruled out a possible work out injury but the fact that it comes and goes in pain intensity when i eat badly leaads me to believe it's tied to my poor diet habits. I have done 0 work out with my arms and other than picking up my 3yo son to put him in the car seat, i have carried anything for 2 months+. I bought several creams and even took some ketoprofen for a week or so as prescribed by a Dr friend, and while it reduced it, the pain is still there and goes up after i eat badly.

Im curious to hear what you Dr says.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #23 amenasce, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

Thanks Michael. I feel like i have just consulted with a Dr! Actually, this is even more comprehensive than my Dr visit last month!!

I did do some of the stretching exercises in the beginning but i guess i gave up to soon (was not seeing any improvement). I will do these again.
    So you think 6 to 12 months without doing any weight lifting? That will be hard. I already like i lost my volume and look like a teenager :(.

24. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I need to stress the importance of entering and breaking a fast safely. The guide covers it all.
    Fasting is great exercise for the self control center of the brain, just as physical exercise is good for muscles.

Leaky gut can be caused by the use of aspirin, nsaids, any pharmaceuticals, as well as infection, trauma, stress, dysbiosis, surgery, other auto-immune diseases.

There are other ways to test for food sensitivities, should you choose not to try fasting. Fasting can be rough/umcomfortable if one has a high toxic load. Start with short ones and work your way up as your discipline improves.

The books Adrenal Fatigue, and Is This Your Child cover other food testing methods some.

A hope an approach from all angles will get you squared away.

25. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #25 ME308, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

no ... you can start lifting again as soon as the pain vanishes considerably ...
    then start it all over with light weights and more reps (1/2 to 2/3 of your earlier weight)
    stop and reduce weight as soon as you feel the pain getting worse

always go back to the pull up bar and "hang loose" for 20s-30s after each set !
    do that consistently !

and don`t worry, your volume will come back, think of your body`s memory effect ... just give it time ;)
    (if you don`t take your time now, chances are that inflammation gets chronical ...you don`t want that !)

avoid stuff like rowing, pulling, curling etc. at least for the first couple of weeks after starting over again
    pushing is usually less problematic (as long as you don`t start with pressing 200 pounds on the bench of course)

reduce everything that contracts/seizes up your muscles to a minimum
    remember, you want to "lenghten" = stretch your muscles and as a consequence also the small tendons that connects them to your bones

while starting over you can do a lot of other exercises where your arms don`t play a role
    work yours abs, do squats, add cardio etc., for ex. dead lifts are a pretty good exercise because your arms are straightened out completely and done right,
    it`s the best exercise for your lower back and your core stability (besides squats of course)

depending on your age, maybe you should reconsider your goals and go for less volume but more strength, less body fat and more definition, less max weight but more reps

most - self induced - injuries come from continuously overstressing your muscles and tendons by lifting too heavy ...
    while at the same time performing weak and simply not "clean" enough = cheating :D

no pain, no gain was yesterday ... and even then, it was never right ;)