Atlanta Motorsports Park Membership? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Atlanta Motorsports Park Membership?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Bundy, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    The Atom looks fun. I think Kai Goddard at Inde (outside Tucson) mentioned that they may run them there? Do you know this car? Owner just lost interest?

2. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    I have to confess that as I re-read what I wrote, I overstated the track itself. My bad!
    What I will defend is that AMP taken as a whole is a great facility with a very helpful staff and an abundance of opportunity to drive fast with less risk.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe FOA will let you thrash up when of their Fcars.......

4. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Juan,

I wouldn't ask FoA, but I will try out AMP at some point - just not in this TM F12.

I also plan to sign up for Ferrari's "Corse Clienti" courses offered at Mont Tremblant and COTA. The brochure suggests that you get to drive a 488 GTB, F12, and Cali T in the Sport and Advanced courses, and also a 458 Challenge in the Evolution and Challenge courses. Seems like a good way to become more familiar with my cars.

I've only duffed a car once in 6 years of DE's and arrive-and-drive track days, but it was pretty bad damage to a highly spec'd 993TT in the Kink (turn 10) at Road America. It took 13 months to put humpty dumpty back together again. Better to get a dedicated track car.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was tongue in cheek but maybe will will (?) step up to the plate ;)

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the f12 would be fun to drive down the back straight at RA......

7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Juan, you're killing me! I am already struggling with the F12 decision! I've never felt guilty about tracking any other car before. 😇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have never driven AMP but if it anything like Barber..... the 575 hated barber..

not enough room to stretch its legs and you need to brake often...

f12 at RA should be a blast. even at 5/10s....

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Comparing AMP to Road Atlanta is to do a disservice to both. AMP was never constructed as a GP or IMSA circuit. It's main purpose is as a members track club were you can experience your car's performance in safety and peace. That they have achieved.

Road Atlanta was built in the days of CAN AM etc.. so you huge speed potential - as well as huge danger.

one of the main considerations at AMP is safety, and its a balance of speed vs. security. would you get to WOT in a F12 - doubt it. Would you experience the Acceleration potential of 700BHP - yes. would you experience the CCB performance of the F-12 yes.

at Road Atlanta not only would you get to WOT in the F-12, but You would HAVE TO DEPEND on the CCB's of the F-12 to complete a lap at speed.... and the danger that comes with that to me is very high. At AMP... the danger has been moderated.

The more I drive AMP, the better it seems to me. it is tight, twisty and there is that long left hander that tests you and the car... and you can get into some trouble as well... but overall the risk has been mitigated as much as you can ( its still a race track) ... at Road Atlanta you need full on respect as its a dangerous track in any car at any time.

hope to see you as a Member!

10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you, Tom. You make a lot of sense. I certainly got in over my head at Road America. Very little margin for error in the Kink, and I got overconfident after my 3rd visit to RA.

I may get into racing down the road, but my primary goal now is to become a better driver: build on the skills I learned (hopefully) via Skip Barber, two Formula Mazda weekends, and 6 years of DE's in the Porsche. Also, enjoy camaraderie with fellow gearheads. Golf bores me to tears, but I love cars. AMP sounds like a great venue, and I hope to get there soon and see you there.

11. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Don't know car or owner. I would say < 1000 miles = holy ****! what am I doing in this?
    I just keep an eye on BaT. Current price is an absolute steal.

12. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Spent last Wed & Thurs running the F12 and a Spec Miata at AMP. The 2.0 mile track is tons of fun and very technical. One turn after another with lots of variety and little time to rest. I think it's a fantastic place to build your skills. As Tom stated, there's a lot of emphasis on safety. Loved the mgmt and staff and already met some great fellow car nuts. I loved it so much that I joined. Will probably buy or build a Spec Miata to store at AMP, and run it alongside the Ferrari street cars.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #38 Bundy, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Great story! Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

15. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

Thanks, Peter. It IS an addiction, and the best one! Got to get back to VIR next year.

16. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Bundy - looking to join as well - any feedback after being a member for 5 months or so?

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I've actually cancelled my F12 track session, not because of AMP specifically but because this particular Tailor Made F12 is just too pristine and custom spec'd for potential track damage - to me. Going to look for a dedicated track car, and one with less hp that may not bite me as easily.

I would really be hard pressed to take a brand new F 12 on the track anywhere - not worried about the hp just looking at it covered in rubber and track debris would hurt me

18. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I love AMP (and have actually tracked the F12 and even FF on a few occasions). Ran a couple of Spec Miata races there so far in rentals.

I also started racing a Radical SR3 RSX in the Radical Cup Championship and am also building out a Spec Miata and double garage for AMP.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. msdunkel

msdunkel Rookie

Jun 2, 2019
    Fayetteville GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #44 msdunkel, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Old thread but exactly what I was looking for. I recently purchased a new car and I'm trying to decide between AMP and RA. From a pure driver's perspective this post makes me lean towards AMP since I'm not an experienced track day participant (in a car at least) but that membership cost is prohibitive since there's a better than 50/50 chance I will move from the Atlanta area in the next 5-10 years. Do any of the big track day organizers ever run AMP or do I have to do RA to avoid paying the $10k that would be completely disposable if I move from the area?

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I believe AMP does both track days and has their own track days for members. I think the Club at Road Atlanta has limited days on track - but obviously its a famous track... I think both are great, and know both leaders and think we in Atlanta are lucky to have them.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there is no reason to join either....

JTI, Jzilla and a couple other places have open track weekends at AMP. The same plus CHIN and additional clubs have the same at RA.

22. Mr Turbo

Mr Turbo Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Sebastian, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim H.
    Chin Track Days is the easy answer for your gateway into the premium tracks up and down the east coast, west to COTA.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm an AMP Kart Member and I think its great - the main track is not of much interest to me. The cost vs. the amount of time I'd be on it to me is not worth it. while RA is cheaper to join, its a much tougher track.. harder on the car and much more dangerous... AMP you can do a lot of damage but most likely not kill your self... at RA... you can do both pretty easy.

Karting - you get the best of both worlds. super fun & exciting ... you'll drive a kart at 9/10ths ... and if you ever try a shifter it makes a road Ferrari look like childs play.... and the cost is not anywhere near as bad as a race car or track day car...or hassle.