FNE | FerrariChat

FNE

Discussion in 'New England' started by JD355, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JD355

JD355 Rookie

Feb 11, 2017
    Dear Friends and Ferrari Chat Community
    Over my many years of Ferrari ownership I have never seen so much talent with passion for the Ferrari brand leaving the FNE dealership in 5 year span. Over 175 years combined experience has moved on to enhance their personal careers. Starting with the two oldest and best in the business, from the original team of great technicians, David Angeloni and Steve Oldford. Followed a couple years later by, John Wayne a really good and hard working technician. After that the team was still being held together by Mike Shalhoub service and parts director. Master Technician Tony Fernandes, one of the only factory trained technician in all current models from the 360 to the LaFerrari, who left earlier this year. Sad to say it didn’t stop there. I found out yesterday that the only factory trained Ferrari technician remaining of the original team Brian Walsh had left to join the Tesla group. Sadly leaving Nicola Mafeo the only experienced Ferrari Technician on the vintage models. Who ready to retire. Leaving me with a big question why should I bring my Ferrari to a place where there is no real technicians qualified to work on my Ferrari. To my knowledge all those years of experience and passion has been replaced with inexperienced technicians with no factory training or any time with the brand. To their credit its truly not their fault.

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I'm sorry to hear that Nic is retiring but he has earned it. A real loss for FONE.

Nic, almost exclusively has serviced my car, almost from day one and that brought a lot of confidence in my decision to continue to go to FONE. He is truly an amazing and talented gentalman. I loved having the opportunity to go out into the shop and have him tell me what he thought about the condition of my car and what to watch for in the future.

Fortunatey, we live in an area where there are a lot of terrific choices. Steve while at FONE and since he has left, with David have been terrific, and Michael at FONE has also been fantastic.

Ultimately, for me, it's about past experiences, relationship and trust. Putting your car in the hands of a service provider can be emotional and unsettling if you aren't comfortable with the provider.

I have had personal experiance with Steve and David and Michale and Nic and I trust them completely.

3. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Unfortunately Nick is/was the best at FNE for vintage Ferrari know how. The other techs I'm sure are capable of the newer models but there's a certain type of knowledge gained by Nick's experiences that can't be taught.

The good news is you do have some options. Two of the best are either Steve Oldford/Dave Angeloni (Aston Martin NE ) or John Tirrell (IFS).

4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    For those north of Boston Ferrari Service of Bedford, NH(David Feinberg) is very experienced working on older(and newer) Ferraris. David owns a 365, experienced in both older 12s and 8s. I am a satisfied customer!

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    We are fortunate that we have qualified choices.

6. JD355

JD355 Rookie

Feb 11, 2017
    My personal Technician was always Tony. I never had any problem he couldn't fix and his work is professional and meticulous just like the factory intended. looks like it was never touched! I finally got in touch with him thanks to some friends and found out that he opened his own shop in Milton called EuroAutohaus.

I did not have the greatest experience with IFS on one of my cars, no offence to any one. I got quoted one amount and when i left my bill tripled with no explanation and i still had some of the problems i went there for. Which sent me to the dealer in search of tony, leading me to find out everyone is gone now!

7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    IFS was the worst experience of my life. I'm 59 and have been a car guy since my teens. I'm going with Tony from now on.

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I don't know who JD355 is and I won't question the intent or motivation for his creating this post, although I do think its suspect…. I will tell you that at least one of his comments is factually incorrect.

JD355 wrote "Sadly leaving Nicola Mafeo the only experienced Ferrari Technician on the vintage models. Who ready to retire."

I can tell you that I had a conversation with a very credible source this afternoon and I was told that Nicola is not retiring from FoNE, in fact he has no intentions of retiring anytime soon.

Be careful, remember that anyone with a computer can post anything that he or she wants on a forum like this.

I would encourage JD355 to be a bit more factual in future posts if he chooses to participate in this forum.

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Hmmmm.... Maybe I will question the original intent for JD355's creation of this thread. I think its clear......

And one last thing.... While I have no personal experience with IFS, I know a lot of people that have their cars serviced there and they speak very highly of John Tirell (SP?). I have also met John and he came across as someone who is well experienced and a gentleman.

Again,
    JD355 wrote:
    "My personal Technician was always Tony. I never had any problem he couldn't fix and his work is professional and meticulous just like the factory intended. looks like it was never touched! I finally got in touch with him thanks to some friends and found out that he opened his own shop in Milton called EuroAutohaus."

10. JD355

JD355 Rookie

Feb 11, 2017
    I did not say Mr. Nicola Mafeo was retiring tomorrow what i meant was Nicola is the only technician left from the original team. Keep in mind the man is pushing 70 years of age and is not going to last forever. Sorry if i hurt your feelings. i was just stating my experience. because of this post i found where tony is. I posted this to find another good Ferrari technician with up to date credentials to work on my cars.

11. steve@amne

steve@amne Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2007
    Norwood, MA
    Full Name:
    Steve O
    Thanks to JD355 for the kinds words... its unfortunate about our local Ferrari dealer but Dave and I are not going anywhere! Ill always be here to take care of the Ferrari community.

Best,
    Steve

12. Euro Autohaus_Boston

Jan 4, 2017
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Tony Fernandes
    #12 Euro Autohaus_Boston, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the 3 LaFerrari's I had the privilege to perform the Pre-Delivery Inspection service while still working for Ferrari of New England. I was fortunate to be the only Ferrari Technician From Ferrari of New England certified and licensed by TUV at the Ferrari Factory to work on the most advanced and, the best Super Car ever built, with Its 789-hp V-12 supplemented by a 161-hp boost from an electric motor. I don't see anybody in my rear view mirror.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Steve is an unbelievable guy and him and Dave make a fantastic team @ AMNE.

14. Borca

Borca Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    CT
    Full Name:
    PLM
    Unfortunate the loss of talent. John at IFS is the only person I would let service any of my cars. A great guy and a great friend.

15. steve@amne

steve@amne Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2007
    Norwood, MA
    Full Name:
    Steve O
    Thanks Dan!, much appreciated

Steve

16. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    We are fortunate we have few options to choose from. As Ferrari owners, we can choose of where to take our ferrari to be serviced and whom we prefer to perform the work.
    Personally, for years, Tony met and exceeded my expectations when he worked on my three Ferraris while he was at FONE. I also, had two trouble experiences when Two other shops, one was an exotic car dealer and the other was an Independant shop, worked on my 575. In both occasions, I was Charged too much money for unsolved issues. It's counter productive for me to explain in detail or to name them at this point. The bottom line, everyone can chose who he is comfortable with to perform service on his Ferrari.

17. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I will not get into detail, however this quote reads much like my experience I.e. "Worst experience of my life" in regards to ever dealing with anyone in my professional life.

Boston area has a few options, FNE has always been great to me. Steve was always amazing - a true car guy, and best of luck to Tony. Wonderful Ferrari talent and enough cars around to keep everyone busy.

18. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #18 itsablurr, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    I saw your other thread in the Tech section of Fchat, and am assuming that this is the apparent non-replaced fuel filter that you speak of? I saw that there was no follow-up within the body of the thread. Did you ever bring the issue to the shop and give John and the team an opportunity to respond and address the issue? Though I question if the connection I'm making is correct since a missed fuel filter equating to 'worst experience of my life' seems a touch hyperbolic, if that is indeed the situation you are referring to. A declaration like that, on its face, asks for further context and disclosure especially as we are a small regional corner of this community. I mean no disrespect or question your feelings on the situation if there is indeed significantly more to the story, though that then goes to reinforce the preceding statement.

I've had nothing but great experiences with John. A true gentleman and enthusiast doing nationally reknowned work on some benchmark Ferraris by all accounts I've heard and seen/experienced with my own eyes, ears, and checkbook.