Would you trade your 360 for the eventual GT4 RS? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you trade your 360 for the eventual GT4 RS?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RennSport93, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I never really thought about it like this,but you are absolutly correct. I have always associated race set ups with harshness,but I now see that is a flawed way of thinking. I will never claim to be a suspension guru and will be reaching out to someone like you should I go that route!

2. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I would want a 997.2 GT3 RS if by some miracle I decided on a 911 and those are too much right now/rather have a scud for the money. I've driven a lot of different flavors of 911,newer and older,wonderful cars,I just can't shake the memory of waking up 20 hours later with a priest in my hospital room. I've passed up a chance to drive the brand new GT3 RS and a few turbos since.

3. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I think it would be close,from what hagerty is saying,my car is worth about 115. Granted,selling prices are almost always lower than those estimates. I would only want buckets and ceramics,everything else adds weight and complexity that I don't want to deal with. Ok,maybe I'll need the sirius radio too...

4. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Very true,I kinda like having something that someone has to be like us to know about though. My favorite part of owning an RS4 was this. It was an A4 to most,but real car people would approach me as if they were looking at a ferrari. haha the "spyder" thing has always bothered me a bit too.

5. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I have tried to leave a deposit several times at different dealers over the last 3 months,they treat me like a bum off the street at best.I had one guy pretend to write my name down on a piece of paper! I really take issue with how they tend to do business here. Out of principle, I refuse to bring my dad with me to help get taken seriously. If Porsche doesn't want to take my perfectly good dollars,they will have made this decision for me.

6. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    That is very interesting.What did your gt3 do for you that the gt4 didn't do as well? My end game is an F40,so trust me,I'm not like most of my contemporaries who are constantly searching for the newest most teched out vehicles possible.The Gt4 does have an "it" factor that I can't discount though,I can't see the Gt4 RS being anything less than incredible.At the same time,the 360 is also incredible,thus the pickle I'm in.

7. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    True,but I value everyones' perspectives here. As I mentioned earlier,I've been reading about 360trev's build forever. Way before I had a Ferrari or Fchat account. Hell,the idea of one day building something very similar was one of the driving forces behind me getting this 360 in the first place. My point being,you guys are the only people I can talk to about something like this that also share my taste in cars. There is a reason that I ask this here and not on Rennlist,I want to keep the ferrari,I just don't know if it's best for what I'm looking for right now.

I agree,having both would be ideal,I'd just rather put more money toward a house with a nice big garage right now. I hate renting and would feel like a clown if I started cutting into my downpayment just because I need to have 2 completely unnecessary vehicles. At 23,I think my dad would fight me if I bought another crazy car before buying a house.

I think we can all agree that Pcars are the best daily cars out there within reason.

8. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Wow,thanks for the picture of them side by side! Mines yellow too!

But to answer your question, I imagine there will be a slightly more aggressive front bumper,a bigger probably carbon fiber wing,scalloped hood,and maybe some carbon side intake vents with a more aggressive rear diffuser. Obviously,no one outside of stuttgart knows though.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't think that ditching a manual 360 and buying a brand new Porsche will help you get to your end game of an F40 but that's just my opinion. When I bought my F40, the other car in my garage was a Honda Fit. I wouldn't have been able to afford the F40 if I had been spending money on depreciating assets.

I know a little about the upcoming GT4RS. I guess it depends on what you want but it's going to be very track focused. There's a change in philosophy going on there but I'll stop there.

The bigger problem is that there's no reason for a 360 to be as unreliable as you describe. What's the issue there?

10. Transhuman

Transhuman Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Cloverly
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Interesting thread...I actually just picked up a GT4 with 900 miles on it. I haven't had a chance to drive it too much yet, maybe another 800 miles total. But this Monday I had the chance to drive the 360 ('04 gated) back to back with the GT4. In the end, the 360 is still my #1 for all the things that make a Ferrari...a Ferrari.

The sound, the direct way it puts power down, the click/clack of the stick. You just feel totally connected to it in an ephemeral way.

I was drawn to the GT4 because in embodies many of the same philosophies but in a very modern package. I took a serious look at the rear suspension the other day. It's so over engineered! I also like the fact that it has a 6 year warranty (CPO) and that Porsche is OK with you tracking it. Mine has the carbon bucket seats which are simply on another level to anything else short of a full race seat.

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier having both (plus the seats in the 360 are way more girlfriend friendly). LOL!

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can't help but thinking that the reason you "spun like a top" while going the speed limit and being ejuected from the car has a lot more to do with you than the car you were driving. A '79 911 couldn't handle the road at the posted speed limit yet every VW van and Chevy Suburban could? Or was there a pile of carnage on the side of the road?

I'm only saying this because you're associating a 911 with your crash and not yourself as well. You, the main factor, will still be in every car you drive. Get back on that horse, drive those GT3 RS and Turbos, absolutely awesome cars. Good luck!

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I didn't get into this and I'm glad someone else picked up on it. I've never heard of anyone being ejected from a 911 that was wearing their seatbelt either..

13. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    My GT4 also has Carbon LWB, and I absolutely hated it. This is coming from someone who prefer race seat. I have Recaro bucket seat on all my cars, even my daily. The Porsche LWB seat is just not ergonomically right IMO. Lack of lumbar support is main problem. Head support is too close as well. If you wear a helmet it pushes your head forward, that it's like you're looking on your phone the whole time.

The car is nothing spectacular IMO. I've toyed on getting a 360 for a fun track car since it is pretty much the same spec. 400 HP give or take and 3000 lbs. The only reason I got the GT4 is because of the modern torque vectoring. It is wonderful on 991 GT3. I have yet to take mine to the track, but I've driven a couple of student's car and a clubsport. Not fair to comapre to clubsport obviously due to it being a race car.

14. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Exactly. Most people can't handle a car that needs to be "driven." Doing so with what I presume is a lack of a seat belt is silly.

15. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    You are right,and my father says the same thing. I think this could potentially be the deciding factor. I love the idea of never really losing money on cars and have been lucky enough to never lose more than a couple k between cars. As you point out,this is probably the reason I've made it as far as the 360 and keeping up on this trend will lead to me being in an F40 sooner. I think I've got you beat on a car that has no business being parked next to a ferrari. My winter/rainy day vehicle is a 95 Jeep cherokee with a 5 spd. Me and my little brother saved it from a junkyard when it came into my dads shop.I have no plans to spend money on a depreciating daily and am more than happy with my jeep xj. We spent all summer putting it back together my senior year of high school and I can't replace the memories that little red jeep has in it. I honestly wouldn't mind having it in my stable for the rest of my life.

The Ferrari is constantly needing of something,always throwing the same elusive yet benign CEL's having to do with 02 sensors and the like(p1123 & P1125). I only have a 10 dollar scanner that gives me generic codes(yet clears the light somehow?) and thats what me and my uncle are working with. It's a crap shoot. I am religious about the belt and had it replaced very prematurely upon taking ownership,changed the brakes(with ferrari parts) and they squeal constantly unless you stand on the brake. The radio does not work out of nowhere. The previous owner's relatives found the receipts I didn't get initially at the time of sale and it was meticulously taken care of. Close to 40k in repairs from new till my ownership all done by Ferrari of ATL.It doesn't seem right.All this and the car has never been in an accident and is always garage kept. I have also only driven it roughly 1300 miles since taking ownership over a year ago.

Everything I've said about trev also goes for you. You have no idea how long I've been creeping on your posts,thank you for weighing in. Your F40 is a work of art.

16. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I'm starting to see the light here guys,the gt4 or gt4 rs would make a wonderful compliment to the 360,but really can't be considered a replacement.I would be downgrading by going that route and would almost certainly regret it. I agree with your descriptions of both cars,thats how I ended up considering this in the first place. The LWB's are actually my favorite seats ever!

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks but Trev's better. :) He has singlehandedly gotten me to do the craziest stuff to my 360 that I never would have dared to attempt if I hadn't seen him do it first - like my door cards.

FWIW, I haven't spent more than $7k on a daily driver in years. As much as I fantasize about someday driving a RR Ghost, I can't help but embrace the fact that saving money on things like daily drivers is what allowed me to get Ferraris in the first place.

I don't think that your car is the issue: I think that the lack of real troubleshooting gear and a super experienced factory trained mechanic (no offense to your uncle) is the issue. We are really lucky here in Colorado in that respect.

18. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I will never claim to be Lewis Hamilton,I have driven tons of really powerful and unruly cars before in my life over very extended periods of time though. YES,IT IS MY FAULT,I SUCK AT DRIVING 911's. I'm not blaming the 911,people love them and there is a reason they have been one of the greatest race cars built for over half a century at this point. As stated earlier,their balance is just so far removed from what I am used to and I don't feel like spinning off the road again and potentially killing someone or myself. It is just not worth it. The countless mid engine cars i've driven in my life have never had that handling trait,let alone the front engined ones. I would consider driving one around an empty parking lot,but besides that,I'm good. I'll happily ride shotgun in one with a driver that knows how to properly drive one though.

My accident happened late in September 3 years ago. It was a chilly rainy day as I was driving a piece of road I drove everyday. The speed limit is 50 mph around a decently sharp bend that leads into a residential area where the speed drops to 40. I was going around that bend when my rear end started getting out of line a little bit. So what do I do? The last thing I should of,lift and go for the brake. I didn't get to the brake before the car was completely out of control skidding and spinning towards a parked jetta. I actually hit the back of this jetta so hard it was pushed into the car in front of it and totaled that car as well. My dad loved his 911 and to be truthful,I guess I have owned a 911 because I replaced the car last year as soon as I got involved in the work I do now.

I know you mean no disrespect,but the whole ordeal is my darkest hour up until this point in my life and i still hear about it once a week,so excuse me if this reads defensively(its not suppose to),i don't know how else to answer this though.

19. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I wasn't. I can also guarantee that is the last time I've ever been in a car without a seatbelt. Nothing quite like dislodging a windshield with your face!

20. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I agree. i used to think it was weird seeing pcars with both the harness and a regular seatbelt. Now,I'm like"WOOHOO 2 seat belts!"

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    You're lucky it wasn't a 993 or later. Before that they didn't rope the windshields into 911s. They just kind of fit them in there.

22. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Trev is a pioneer,I don't think there is another word that really could describe him or his incredible work with the 360 platform better.

That's the idea,I love my jeep though,I actually couldn't see myself without it at this point. I like having something that is so normal and beat to hell that the person in traffic might look over at me and think "aww,poor guy".I want to make it to a million miles in that thing,or at least pass the torch to my kids someday. It also makes dating very fun. First few dates,i always drive the jeep,if she lasts longer than that,I whip out the Ferrari. As you can imagine,going from a car thats probably not worth much more than scrap value,to the Ferrari gets some of the best reactions one can imagine.

I agree,he is extraordinarily talented on the older cars that were of his time,but much past that,he really isn't that great with things with more tech that came after his time. He can put it together properly,the computers are just not something he was trained for. what should I do then? ship the car to Algar Ferrari or somewhere in NY and eat the costs,but have it done correctly?

23. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    My surgeon is a gear head that has a bunch of 911s and he said the same thing to me after my surgery.The windshield was the only part of the car that flew further than me! When I was leaving my last check up,he came into see me and said "now you see how seat belts save lives...and why you don't lift".

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That's fair enough.. we all learn our lessons. I was lucky in my "yoot" that I drove a 924 that was more forgiving. Believe me when I say.. the 997 doesn't have the "traditional 911 handling". If it did, I wouldn't own it. :)

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There's no good answer to this, unfortunately. My guess is that your best shop is Scuderia Performance in the Phllly area. That's fine for major services but when you have little things like o2 sensor issues and things like that, it's not convenient. You need to have someone who has seen it all and can quickly tell you what the issue is most likely to be and make the changes. The 360 is an incredibly reliable car once it's properly set up and maintained.