Scum, I hate Scum! | FerrariChat

Scum, I hate Scum!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Bob in Texas, Feb 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You know... Soap scum! What am I doing wrong?

I've been washing my p-cars and my f-car the same way for years. Over the past 2 months or so, I wash the car... The same way as ever... But when it dries there seems to be a light film left over after drying. You can swipe your finger over it and leave a clean mark. I have to use detailer to wipe off the film.

This happens even if the car is relatively clean to begin with (read: keep it OCD clean).

I am currently using armor all wash and wax and usually just buy whatever "car soap" is available at the local auto supply place. The car gets pinnacle paste wax every 3 months. Water is city water, no water softener.

I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Sounds like your soap isn't fully rinsing off, try Adam's or Griots car wash. Both are very gentle, but thorough washing agents, and rinse cleanly off the car.

3. REM9

REM9 Karting

Jun 17, 2001
    Finger Lakes NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Russ Moore
    likely you have a problem with hard water and the level of minerals has increased in the municipal water system. They usually don't advertise that type of thing. Likely won't admit to it either. You could do or get a water test on your own. Most commercial water treatment services will do it for free thinking of you as a potential new customer. Culligan comes to mind as one example.

4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree with the two posts above. But I am leaning more toward your soap especially if you are using a soap that is a "wash and wax". This with the potential change in water could lead to the issues you are having.

I like using Citrus Wash and Gloss from Chemical guys (depending on how dirty the car is) and Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear to strip wax. I have recently used Gyeon Q2M Bathe and found it works really well.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I swear by Griots car was soap.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Change your soap, the whatever off the store shelf stuff you are using may have changed their "formula", I am currently using Maguiars. I have tried numerous armor all products, I avoid all their stuff at this point.

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    When you wash, are you washing the whole car at the same time before rinsing or are you rinsing every panel after you use the soap? Some time if you leave the soap sit too long you will get what you are explaining. Wash one panel at a time and rinse off before moving to the next. Make sure you are in the shade and get a better soap. I love the Carpro products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would avoid using a spray nossle when rinsing the soap.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know why it would change, but I think it is the "wash and wax" soap. The "wax" part of the soap is designed to leave a layer of something on the paint to increase beading, so it seems likely that is related to the problem. The film could be that wax additive, maybe exacerbated by not rinsing fast enough. Maybe Armorall made a change to "improve" the wax portion and that is making it worse now. I would definitely switch to a pure soap with no waxing properties to see if that helps.

Even without this problem, I think it's better to use pure soap to clean and wax/polish to polish. I don't think soap with wax helps, or is beneficial, at least for cars that already have a high quality polish applied.

10. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    If you want a true wash and wax product, have a look into Hydrofoam from Carpro. You don't have to use it in a foam gun or foam cannon but that is fun as well haha. Just use it as a regular soap and it works great.

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Some good suggestions! I think i'm going to try one suggestion at a time to see if something changes (for the better). If I try all the suggestions at once, I won't know which one is the 'fix.'

Hmmm: do I wash one panel at a time? Well, yes and know. I wash and then rinse the roof, hood, sides in that order, then finally the rocker panels. Interesting though. Need to pay more attention.

I didn't buy the wash/wax soap for it's wax abilities, just it's off-the-shelf availability. So, I'm going to start with a different brand (with no wax, since I enjoy detailing the car anyway). I do order products on-line like i'm already using carpro Perl for trim and the pinnacle wax for the deep blue pozzi color (other suggestions appreciated!)

Water may be an issue as well as we do have hard water being out in a bedroom community of Austin. But it's always been like that and for years, all has been well.

So, thanks gents, will update the scum file as things progress, and look forward to suggestions to enhance the deep blue pozzi color.

12. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had the same problem and asked the car detailing wholesaler what the problem was. His response is "you are using too high of a concentration of soap which is leaving the residue"

Personally, I do no like wash and wax. Remember the soap is a lubricant to allow the dirt to be washed off. Why would you blend that with something that is supposed to stay on your car - wax?

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hmmm... That's interesting.i do just pour into the bucket - probably a lot of soap so there are enough suds to complete the car.

14. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Start with the roof and work your way down, so the dirt and stuff flows down off your car and never over an already cleaned panel.

Also, I do the wheels 1st, with brushes and a bucket that only get used on the wheels.

15. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Reset is another good, gentle soap and if you just use two cap fulls it will last quite a while. I have used it for a couple of years and have had no issues. Reload will make that paint color really shine.

16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the product hints Jason. I'm going to order a few of their products as suggested.

17. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ditto on a separate bucket for the wheels, Phil. What I find disconcerting is that for 20 years I've fought brake dust. With the CCM's there's no dust...just doesn't seem right :) just a little road dirt.

18. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo

Not a problem, glad to help out a fellow Texan car enthusiast.

19. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #19 Bob in Texas, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well...
    Despite using a new wash (the Carpro Reset), lessening the amount of soap used (2 caps), I seem not to have solved my soap scum problem. Thought I'd post a few pics in case someone recognizes the culprit. It's not like there are all that many variables...

So there's...
    The idiot washing the car (me)
    water - municipal, albeit rural
    soap (same results, both kinds)
    amount of soap (reduced)
    the microfiber sponge
    bucket
    and the coating on the paint, first a carnauba - Pinnacle - and now JESCAR, a synthetic. same results with either

This was never a problem on my dark maroon Carrera, Just this car and just since my first post. Thanks to everyone for their previous suggestions. Any other ideas to try?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    How do you dry the car? Are you towel drying, and if so do you use dryer sheets on the towels? I suggest blow drying the car but if you use towels make certain they're intended for that purpose and that you wash them according to the directions and *do not* use any type of fabric softeners, including dryer sheets. The only time I've seen this sort of streaking was the result of using bath towels to dry the car.

Do you use anything to clean the car between washes? A California Duster, perhaps? If so, the wax left behind could be the problem.

BTW, agree on the readily available wash/wax products. No experience with what you're using now but it should be way better than the stuff you were using before. I 2nd the recommendation for Griot's, although I add some Optimum No Rinse to it in order in increase lubrication. My favorite wash for a finish that's in great shape is Lusso Auto Bathe: https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/wash/products/lusso-auto-bathe-premium-car-wash

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Being a water treatment contractor myself, hard water will prevent soap scum from rinsing off. Some products have "chemical softeners" in their ingredients...IE: like Cascade dishwasher detergent but some don't. Something like Mcguires or Griots might have those in their ingredients a they are aware of the hard water issues we have. A softener is a nice luxury to have and should solve the problem. I don't recommend Culligan but you could milk em for a water test. Pentair makes most softeners valves today and I would recommend their products as that is what we sell. If you have specific questions, your welcome to PM me. HTH

22. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Some thoughts come to mind, when you wash is the paint surface cool to the touch? You never want to wash a painted surface while it's hot, that's why it's always preferable to wash in the shade when possible. Rural water is notorious for being hard, in order to determine whether it's the water buy about six gallons of distilled water. Next time you wash use the distilled water to wash and rinse. Make sure your drying towels have been washed separately of any other towels, as was mentioned before no dryer sheets or fragrances should be used.
    For about 38 dollars you can buy an electric leaf blower and reduce your drying time and towel use.
    Good luck, keep us updated on this aggravating issue.

23. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Some great advice above.

FWIW my first thought was water as well, but where I live the water is known for being pretty "hard" (lots of minerals) and yet I wash with it with no problems. It'll leave deposits if you allow it to dry or wash in hot sunlight but it doesn't streak like what your pics show.

Good idea to test by using distilled water for the final rinse but I suspect your problem lies elsewhere, especially if you towel dry.

24. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #24 Bob in Texas, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, again, some great things to pin down. I did forget the drying from the above idiots list.

Wash the car in the early morning before the sun has gotten above the trees. Nix that.
    I use griots drying towels that I wash separately and dry separately sans the laundry scented cloths. Unlikely

I do have a blower, guess I could try that.

Could it really be the water itself? I do think it's gotten worse over the past couple of years. For example if I leave a hose connected to the faucet the connections will freeze and it's impossible to get off. I never see water spots though but then again I try to dry quick since I know they are possible.

I do the like the distilled water suggestion. That would eliminate or confirm water as the culprit. So I can see adding it to the soap bucket. I guess I'd pour the rest over the car to rinse each panel?

We're narrowing it down. If it not the water, towels or soap, it must be...
    The idiot

25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Did you change the detergent you use for the drying towels at some point?

FWIW, I rinse any towels I use on my paint at least twice in fresh water after washing. My wash routine for detailing towels is pretty crazy and involves only unscented detergent. You might want to try washing the towels in something recommended on the detailing forums in case they're contaminated, or just try blow drying the car. It's easier on the paint anyway.