Would you let Costco install your new tires? | FerrariChat

Would you let Costco install your new tires?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by angerosa, Feb 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I know there will be some who will be dead set against such sacrilege. For the record, I am just considering it and have not made a decision. I have a 348 with 355 wheels. They have a deal running on Michelins right now which gets me 4 Pilot SS wheels mounted and balanced for under $1000.

My biggest worry is that they put it on the lift at the correct points. The manager said they could do it and would take all the risk of doing something incorrectly.

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would, but would only do it if I bring them the wheels and not the car. And make sure they don't scratch the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I made the mistake of having Sam's club mount new tires on my BMW. Ruined the finish on two wheels. Don't trust your wheels and tires with anyone unless they use one of the latest "no touch" mounting machines.

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This...................Many tire stores do not have "no touch" machines so you definitely have to track them down.

5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Throw the wheels in a truck and take them that way and leave the car at home. And pop the centercap cavalinos out.

6. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    I have made more money in forcefully removed TPMS sensors, scratched wheels, broken and cross-threaded studs, and lead weights hammered on alloy wheels from their revolving door of unskilled monkeys. Do not go cheap.

A lot of times as well, the tires they advertise are NOT what gets installed on the car. You get what you pay for.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Exactly. Order from Tire Rack. Drop ship to closest Ferrari dealer. Have them install. It'll cost more, but you'll worry less...T

8. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

9. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    No No No.
    Costco? Saving $100 could cost you thousands if they (a) scuff/over-torque your rims, (b) cause damage from improper lift points (which you'd be hard-pressed to know right away, (c) leave 'love' marks on chassis or upholstery.
    Either take your rims there (lesser evil) or use a dealer or trusted indy to install.

10. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All good advice - thanks

11. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have no doubt that I'd be getting real Michelin pilot SS tires if I bought them at Costco.

12. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would never take a car that I cared about to Costco for any repair...or any similar type of shop.

I only take my high-end sports cars to their respective dealers for tires after being left with scratched wheels too many times at chain shops.

I took a wheel from a 911 to CJ's Tires & Automotive Services for a repair about a year ago as they were a sponsor of our local PCA region so I assumed they could properly handle the job. Well, I should have known better as sure enough, they scratched the wheel pretty bad even though they assured me that they could handle the job without damaging the wheel. I'm only going to the dealer from now on...

13. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I definitely wouldn't do this...the more expensive the wheel they are working on, the better the service I think you'll receive...just get a price quote before they begin the work so you don't have to pay the "Ferrari tax".

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Go to your favorite shop and ask them to match the price. Worth a try.

15. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #15 simchanova, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
    ...dealers **** up too...I took my Porsche to a dealer for new tires...they scratched and chipped two wheels...the car is in the wrapper with 7,000 miles (1997 c2 cab)...they denied it and would not do anything about it...

16. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Sounds risky...

Call up Radial Tire in Silver Spring and have them do it.

17. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Go to your F car dealer. They deal with this all day long. No worth the headaches after the fact/accident.. Market is above 21k, give yourself a treat...

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

This!
    T

19. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    While Costco is working on your Ferrari you can stop by the vision center and have your eyes checked.

20. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    No because they don't do the alignment, and if something goes wrong, they'll blame each other.