R.I.P. Roger Becker | FerrariChat

R.I.P. Roger Becker

Discussion in 'British' started by Bill Sawyer, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Roger Becker, formerly of Lotus, died this morning. Becker was the chassis genius responsible for the unique Lotus handling characteristics. Danny Behar--the former head of Lotus who nearly destroyed the brand--fired Roger and then named a special edition of the Exige after him as a tribute!

Becker was a close friend of my brother Chris, former Communications Director of Lotus USA. Luckily Roger passed his expertise on to his son, and the Becker Magic is now evident in every new Aston Martin, where his son went to work after leaving Lotus.

May he rest in peace.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sad news.

odd coincidence, I was thinking about Danny Behar yesterday. one of the great con artist "leaders" of all time.

3. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    RIP... I still recall how excited i was as a kid when he was behind the wheel of a submersible bond esprit.

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I as well!

5. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Bahar "retiring" Becker was nearly the death of Lotus.

Bahar thought he was going to take on Ferrari and Aston Martin without Ferrari and Aston Martin money. What a crime.

RIP, Roger.

6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes you saw that coming from a country mile. everytime they try to move upmarket they dig a grave a little deeper for themselves. but thats what happens when u get a fast talking gent in a slick suit... they seemingly convince themselves they are right.

life is often simple "do what you know"... which is building narrowly focus lightweight hardcore drivers cars. leave the lavish GTs to ferrari and porsche

7. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Rogers enthusiastic driving of that Esprit in Sardinia cemented Lotus in the minds of a generation or two!! He will be missed :(

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I met him when I toured the factory in January, 1978, and I found him to be quite a regular chap. Rest in peace.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thank you for sharing.

10. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    Great man and in reality, he was Mr. Lotus. I've had the privilege of working with him and his son Matt and both embody what Lotus really is. He'll be sorely missed

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have an elise, and exige V6 so a car developed by each Becker.

I am sure astons will benefit greatly.

12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Way too young - RIP! :(