the Breadvan is a real Ferrari ! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

the Breadvan is a real Ferrari !

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by etienne, Apr 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Richardphillips3

Feb 4, 2015
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Phillips
    #126 Richardphillips3, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Richardphillips3

Feb 4, 2015
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Phillips
    #127 Richardphillips3, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Richardphillips3

Feb 4, 2015
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Phillips
    Hi all, I tried posting something on here last night, but not sure it worked, I have never posted before.

I have always been fascinated by this amazing car ever since I thought I had seen it in an overgrown yard along side many other rotting Classic cars in Cornwall, England. I now know it was obviously not this car I saw. But what did I see?? I remember it so vividly, even though I was only about 10. I was on a family holiday & remember us driving down a country lane when we came across an old petrol station/garage with this overgrown yard along side. There was no one around, no fence or gates, just rows of classic cars with plants & weeds growing between them. I remember walking around "the breadvan" thinking how strangely amazing this car looked, I distinctly remember the sharp pointed nose & the breadvan style rear end. There was a Ferrari owners club sticker in the front window along with the words "raced at Le-Mans" on the windscreen. We never took any photos as it was before the time of handy digital cameras & mobile phones. I remember seeing a picture of the breadvan in a Ferrari book I had & thinking that was exactly what I saw! But obviously it couldn't have been. So what was it I saw? Is there any copies out there? Or similar looking cars?

I did get to see the real car in the flesh at the Goodwood Revival in 2015. I witnessed it being involved in an accident during the RAC TT qualifying on the Saturday. Here are a few pics of it & the quick "fix" they made. Impressed to see the owner doesn't mind racing it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    What a great story and contributions from Marc and Ed to name a few.

Richard Phillips, I'd love to know what that car in the weeds was. I spent many a holiday in North Devon and ventured into Cornwall (recently started returning for holidays) and whilst I never witnessed that car (when would it have been?) I'm curious as to what it was you saw.

5. Richardphillips3

Feb 4, 2015
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Phillips

I'm 30 now & I think I must have been about 10 at the time, so about 20 years ago. It was around the St Austell area of Cornwall. I've tried looking since when I've been around the area, and even tried looking on Google earth, but can't find any trace of the place now. I remember there were Jags, Rolls Royces other nice cars, but all I can remember is being captivated by this "breadvan". As a massive Ferrari fan I thought it was amazing to be looking around this car. I have no idea what It could have been, everything I can remember about it was exactly this car, but I know it couldn't possibly be. Did someone think they had it but didn't? I wish I had some pictures of it, it's been bugging me for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There are a few Drogo bodied cars, one or two I think, with a similarly shaped nose.

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Richard, I think you were looking at the real thing, unless that sticker was from the British FOC. Matt Ettinger, former owner and hard user of 2819GT, is a past president of the FOC here.

8. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    My friend John Harper used to race the car on behalf of its then owner Martin Jonhson, it used to live in Johns garden in Cheltenham(it was only an old racing car )