Securing F50 hardtop | FerrariChat

Securing F50 hardtop

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Bill S, Jan 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    #1 Bill S, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is it correct to use the rollbar bolts to secure the F50 hardtop as shown here? I couldn't find any other bolts in the toolkits.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    It has been awhile since Hardtop / Rollbars removed installed. Since 2010 Softop / Rollbars
    only. If you have the large storage box Hardtop / Rollbars the hardware for mine car was in a Leather Schedoni drawstring bag affixed by Velcro to the inside of the storage box. Recollect
    affixing hardware is different depending upon Hardtop or Rollbars.

3. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Thanks, might you have a picture of the two bolts that secure the roof at the windshield?

4. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    Very complex, I have put it on only once, always had the soft top ever since.

5. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I have had the same question as you for a while. I checked the spare parts catalogue and there is no pouch inside the hood container mentioned, but I found the 2mm spacers (#7 on p111 part number 65019800) in the tool kit. Like you I am using the roll bar bolts. Will see if I can get a photo from my friend's car.

6. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Below from an F50 expert who works for Ferrari. I think the stud/nut could damage the carbon fiber if not used with a washer and lock washer. I'll go with the rollbar hex bolt/washer/lock washer for now. The hex bolt seems to be a good length and looks good too!

ME: I’m using the rollbar hex bolt, washer and lock washer to secure the F50 hardtop to the windshield as shown in the attached photo. Is this correct? I could not find any other hardware in the toolkits or large roof box.

EXPERT: The hard top was actually made with a stud that protruded through the windshield frame, and a nut was then screwed onto that stud. However if your Berlinetta roof does not have studs, then using a bolt, as long as it is the correct length, would work effectively.

ME: my windshield has a threaded opening for a stud or bolt, but I don’t see the nut or stud. Is the stud and nut still available for complete originality, or do you think Ferrari eliminated it?

EXPERT: Ironically they don’t show those studs in the parts book, page 111. It is possible that they didn’t install them, as per the owner’s manual, originally. These ‘anomalies’ are part of the Ferrari historical complexities, that keep us guessing!

7. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

That's super useful -thank you. I did wonder where those studs are in the parts book - page 110 in the open top configuration shows some pins but can't be sure they are the same ones.

I am in Maranello next week to meet with Classiche - please feel free to pm me if you would like me to track down a set of pin/bush/nut or bolt. I will be doing the same!

8. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

#8 Red Sled, Mar 3, 2017
  9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Bill S -

I can't help with the bolt question, but would love to see a pic of that beast w/ the top on ... :)

MDS

10. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    If incorrect hardware can stress and possibly crack windshield.
    Ciao

11. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    #11 Bill S, Mar 6, 2017
  12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Love the F50 - just gorgeous.

Thank you.

MDS

13. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    The F50 looks so much sweeter top on.

14. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Agree, but for the sound, hard to beat that V12 with the top off.

15. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Agreed. Only way I would have it.