Bugatti's idiotic marketing team. This is disgraceful. | FerrariChat

Bugatti's idiotic marketing team. This is disgraceful.

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Luxb1, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    An official video featuring Ronaldo as a "true champion"? What? When Andy Wallace is your test driver? What a disgrace. Ettore must be spinning like a top in his grave. Hey Volkswagen: This is Bugatti, not Tata! What's next? Lady Gaga?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAIclkNDwk

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Stupid commercial indeed.
    "tested and approved by a Champion", Champion in what? kicking a ball on a field?
    As a driver, he has proven himself already when he wrecked almost every car he ever owned.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Ronaldo is arguably the most famous athlete/"champion" in the world.

who the heck is Andy Wallace? (I know, but the average person, even the average Bugatti buyer, doesn't)

ESPN's World Fame 100

4. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    In Europe? maybe. In the United States? not so much...

IMHO

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well Bugatti is a European company selling cars globally so... ;)

6. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    Yes... brand recognition is the most important factor in advertising, no one knows who Andy Wallace is and probably won't unless they are really passionate about Bugatti

Ronaldo is a famous footballer that has played with the best of the best in the biggest clubs not to mention he has a perfume line, footwear company, shirt company as well as a hotel under his name... he is only 32 yet is one of the most powerful brands in sports, if anything Bugatti were smart to go with him, his influence on social media and youth makes him one of the few obvious candidates for the commercial

Remember, you need kids to stick up posters of your cars on their walls for them to dream about it, or in this case, download a wallpaper or video or something of that sort....

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Everyone in the US knows who he is just because he's so ridiculously good looking (saying that as a straight man).

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Never heard of him but then I don't follow European sports at all.

Kids with posters of your car on the wall doesn't sell cars now if ever.

The guys buying Countachs now are buying a used car and Lamborghini doesn't care all that much about those folks except when they can USE them.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Who is Bugatti's market? Overpaid European athletes and the mega wealthy.

So, its perfect.

Well, aside from I don't understand it...

10. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

That is simply not true...
    Ronaldo is probably one of the most conscious superstars out there when it gets to his cars. On top of that he is actually a true petrolhead, not just a flamboyant overpaid football player.

He did have One bad Ferrari accident, but definitely "not almost every car he ever owned"
    Google it and check your facts before posting

11. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

I absolutely agree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aren't these cars likely already sold out? So, it's more about branding and image than moving merchandise. Like many American sports fans, I know the name, but not the face. So, it's good they said who he is. Maybe Floyd "Money" Mayweather for the American market, he seems to have a thing for Bugatti?!? ;)
    T

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Totally agree with you.

14. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Commercials don't sell limited edition, multi-million dollar vehicles. Half the production run was sold before this commercial even aired. This video is spreading the Bugatti brand to new markets, most likely to a younger audience.

Other posters are correct IMO in saying that it is important for kids to hang up posters of these cars and for people to dream about owning these cars in the future. That's how a brand survives and evolves and flourishes.

As passionate car enthusiasts, yes, a commercial with Ronaldo of all people seems stupid. I'd appreciate much more a commercial involving a racing driver or a Bugatti employee. But as enthusiasts we are already familiar with the Bugatti marque so we don't need a commercial, nor do the 400 or 500 people who will own the Chiron.

Still waiting for some videos of the car really stretching its legs.

15. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

In principle I agree with you.
    The issue though is that today, there are no more Ayrton Sennas, Fangios or Mansells. The last mythical one was probably Schumacher

Football though is still up there with the young ones. He is also a massive car enthusiast, so I understand..

16. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Ronaldo will have a great career in Hollywood when he puts his football shoes on the shelf. Nobody can fall over like he does.

He may be a football champion, but why does he approve cars? Because he can afford them?

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't forget about rappers and gangstas on our side of the pond!

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Globally Ronaldo has as much "athlete hero worship" as Michael Schumacher.
    One of the highest paid, most recognizable elite athletes there has ever been.
    In front of the goal he is precision weapon.

19. OC3

OC3 Rookie

Apr 5, 2016
    Wheaton
    Full Name:
    James
    Well, he did... but 2 of his Bugatti's both are for sale currently at astronomical prices... His black Vitesse and white Grandsport were both for sale last time I checked.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Bugatti featured him in a similar ad of him taking delivery of his Chiron (which I believe he is getting) ;)

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, most of the world knows who CR is. Pretty much no one knows the other guy you mentioned. Myself, I've never even heard of that Wallace Guy.

21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Who is this Ronaldo you speak of? I also asked everyone in my house of all different age ranges and know one knew. FYI I did look him up after seeing this. And I had to look up Andy Wallace as well. Even though he produced some music I like he isn't the artist so why would I know who he is? I think the only producer I remember is Ted Templeman.

22. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have no idea who Wallace is. Ronaldo is a global superstar for various reasons and although I don't like his playing style, the guy is extremely talented.

23. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Ronaldo isn't too famous in America because soccer (football) is not particularly popular over here. But if i'm correct football is the most popular sport worldwide, and as such the sport's most famous current player seems like a good choice for a spokesman and advocate for the brand.

I can't tell if some of you are joking with the Andy Wallace comments. Not the musician Andy Wallace! The other, more relevant Andy Wallace is a test driver for Bugatti, a successful motorsport driver in numerous classes, and is probably most well known for piloting the McLaren F1 to over 240mph, making the F1 the fastest car in the world for over 10 years and cementing its legendary place in automotive history!

24. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Most famous current athlete meets most famous luxury car brand.

The best of two worlds come together.

Classic brand building.

Annoying, sure.

But smart.

25. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    he lived near me and had a couple of plays with him with our ferraris on the road!
    good times