RIP Bobafett/Dan | FerrariChat

RIP Bobafett/Dan

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by sherpa23, Dec 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am not sure where to put this and I know that Dan would probably cringe a little that I'm doing this but as another friend pointed out to me there's no vanity when you're no longer with us and people should know about this.

Our great friend Dan passed away unexpectedly earlier this week. While he wasn't active on this site in recent years, he was a great friend to many of us and touched us deeply with his friendship, knowledge, and passion. He was well known in the 550 Maranello section as his pursuit of 550 knowledge bordered on the neurotic and I know that he was at the forefront of uncovering a lot of intricate mysteries about that model when they were still relatively new.

There's not a lot that I can or want to share right now but several of his friends thought that this should be posted just so that people are aware.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Oh no! I never got to meet Dan in person, but we exchanged emails and calls when he used to be active on here. I will always remember one night when he called me so that i could listen to the exhaust of his 550M.

What a tragedy.

RIP Dan. My condolences to his family and friends.

3. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I am shocked and completely saddened by this. Way too soon. Dan and I were great friends back in the day, until life just caused us to drift apart. I'll never forget driving his 550 on the go-kart track with PeterS daughter. So much fun with DK.

RIP Dan.

Thanks for the great memories.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No. No.

This is terrible. Darth and I were just talking about him over the weekend. :(

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oh god no....... not Dan.

I have no words.

RIP my friend.

6. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    This is terrible news...

I went on many Ferrari drives with Dan and became good friends over the years, although he moved away and we talked less I will never forget him, he was one of the nicest, most intelligent persons one could meet, and what a sense of humor he had, I still laugh at some of his antics!

RIP my friend, i'll see you on the other side....

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I'm really sorry to hear this. I had many lunches and drives with Dan in past times, though lost touch with him the last few years.

Please let us know what you can, when you can.

RIP.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Stunned. RIP Dan.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, damn, damn, I hate this.

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Fffuuuuuuuuuu c k 2016

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I am so saddened to hear this. It was just last spring when we last spoke and he has been a great friend to me and to my whole family.
    What a terrible loss.

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Dan...RIP:-(

13. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
  14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This is really hitting me hard.

Damn I miss that guy...

15. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And to those of our loved ones and friends who are no longer with us we pray that they shall always find peace under blue skies, but when they want the wind shall lift them aloft so they may cruise among the stars.

16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    RIP Dan. Passed away at far to early an age. I'll miss our lunches together.

17. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This sucks. Dan was one of the first Fchatters I ever met, and he always treated me as "one of the guys," even before I purchased my car. I'll always remember our fall gathering at Red's Java House in SF in 2005. The pier was a little damp from overnight rain, and after breakfast, Dan hops in his 550 and proceeds to start doing donuts in the puddles like a kid with a new toy R/C car. I knew right then that he was alright...

RIP - Gone too soon...

18. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    very sad. He was always friendly, had a great sense of humor, and even my kids had fond memories of him. I got him a guest pass at my work gym, and he really enjoyed the acoustics of the garage, including the alarms that would join the symphony.

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Just noticed that pic of Dan taking a pic of his speedometer. I took that pic, well actually my wife took it from the passenger seat of our 575. He was going 185 (somewhere in Mexico, on a closed road of course ;)). He was a crazy MF!! We miss you buddy!!

20. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, I met Dan many years ago when we were first doing our drives. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

21. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Terrible news. One of my favorite drives was with Dan a few years back. We had lunch in Mountain View and he brought the F40 and I brought my Diablo. Both classic cars (and the Diablo was built to compete with the F40 top speed wise and they have just about identical power and torque so there is history there as well). After lunch, we drove around the city together, so much fun.I felt honored he brought the car. He had some great stories about his various adventures. Rest in peace.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That is my F40. He would borrow it from time to time and tell people it was his. Part of Dan's shenanigans and charm all in one.

23. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I wrote "the F40" and not "his F40" because he didn't say it was his :)

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #24 Zack, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    He often would, though. Definitively told me the F40 was his, even though I knew it wasn't.

Now that he's gone, maybe it's best to leave it all buried, but there's tons more.

25. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I remeber seeimg his name, I didnt know him sad.
    RIP.