New Ford GT | Page 50 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    If the performance of the '05-06 GT was merely honorable and not leading edge, its competitors must have been boat anchors. In nearly every comparison I can recall, it bested its rivals in the objective measurements. That's a fact and not just some view of the past with rose-tinted glasses.

As for the new GT, it shares many of the design cues of the prior generations. A really interesting comparison is the silhouette. In profile the car looks remarkably similar to the prior generations. The hood venting, tail light treatment, etc., are all design cues from the prior cars.

I bought my 2006 GT new, drove it 1200 miles home from the dealership, and have loved every minute and mile with it since. As much as I love it, I think a good argument can be made that the new GT is the actual spiritual successor to the GT40. Unlike the GT40, the '05-06 GT was built solely as a street car. Like the GT40, the NFGT was built as a race car. Ford is building the street cars because it is required to in order to race. These homologation cars are fairly rare, yet have produced some of the most memorable and desirable street cars ever made, with Ferrari making some of the best.

The fact that the NFGT is a homologation car makes it special in my opinion. The fact that it so closely conforms to the already successful race car makes is a very cool car in my book regardless of how it stacks up to other cars. There are a great many of us, far more than 1000, that love this aspect of the car.

2. Truth Teller

Truth Teller Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 18, 2017
  3. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I remember watching that episode of Top Gear, at the time it was the third fastest car on the table. This list is now 10 years old, hence the no 54 placing, but just look at what cars it sits above!
    Top gear times are just entertainment though, I am lucky enough to be a 06 GT owner, and it is one of the best, most charismatic cars I have ever owned or driven. I wish I was given the opportunity to own the NFGT, there is nothing else quite like it.

4. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    It's a 11 year old car that was tested on rock hard Goodyear F1's. That list is very current, is compiled of multi million dollar exotis, current GT's on modern rubber and purpose built kit race cars. At this point I'm calling Troll and moving on.

5. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    #1230 Sinovac, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    There are only a few of the GT's contemporaries (production/street cars) on that list which were quicker, but they were much more expensive cars (e.g. Ferrari 599).

More relevant is that the F430 and F430 Spyder are #64 and #69 on the list with significantly slower times.

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #1231 werewolf, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Nope.

You keep trying to suggest that metrics such as : weight, power-to-weight ratio, fuel economy, price, etc etc are somehow "my" criteria for success, and that they are "subjective" ... or solely based on "my opinion" :rolleyes:

That argument fails in two ways (at least) :

First : most of these criteria were established and advertised by Ford themselves, prior to production release of the car. Not just weight, not just power-to-weight ratio ... but even fuel economy. It's pretty embarrassing when Ford (not me!) advertises fuel economy (and thereby justifies the choice of "EcoBoost V6"), and then delivers worse fuel efficiency than the Viper ACR :( Do i care about fuel economy in a supercar? Not one bit. But when the manufacturer OBVIOUSLY does, and so justifies the choice of motor (!) ... it's pretty embarrassing when they fail so badly. Not "my subjective opinion" here, at all.

Second : metrics such as power and weight tend to be objective, rather than subjective. And, their correlation to performance (on the track, and street) is pretty well-established (note : i chose the word "correlation" carefully, not at all suggesting that these two metrics alone dictate track performance). Not really a matter of "my opinion" alone ...
    I started the application, based on Ford's advertisements ... but halted when it started asking me for youtube videos of myself. It became clear that this car was more of an exclusive "fashion statement" by Ford, rather than an expression of racing lineage.

Now, based on the objective data that i'm seeing so far ... i'm quite happy that my dollars have been spent elsewhere (e.g. Superformance GT40, plus another ACR) :)

All that said ... I have no problem being proven wrong, when the new Ford GT outperforms the Viper ACR, 488 Speciale, Huracan Performante, etc etc. Competition is VERY healthy, for all of us :D

7. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    You may be changing my mind. I might just forego my purchase of the failure that is the NFGT and buy a successful and desirable 2018 Viper ACR. Please write Fiat on my behalf and tell them they were mistaken, they do have one potential buyer for a 2018 Viper.

You should volunteer your services to the Fiat Board of Directors. You can teach them the difference between a successful car and one that is a failure. For example, you might suggest they cancel the 488 since it's slower than the ACR. Oh, and that LaFerrari, explain what a failure it is because it can't complete two laps against the ACR.

On the NFGT application thing, no videos or pictures here. I think I mentioned that I'd be happy to help them out by taking one of their crappy cars off their hands. That may have put me over the top.

8. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Typical sarcastic nonsense.

Just remember ... it was FORD, not me, who advertised very low weight for the NFGT. It was FORD, not me, who advertised power-to-weight comparable to (or better than!) any other production car. It was FORD, not me, who chose the "EcoBoost" engine, in part, for fuel economy. It was FORD, not me, who set the price at half a million ... etc etc

Try as you might to twist reality, and summarily dismiss ALL of these criteria "my subjective opinion" :rolleyes: i didn't 'invent' these criteria, and it's not my fault that Ford is failing to deliver ... on THEIR VERY OWN metrics.

Have fun with your new fashion statement :) I'm sure you'll be the envy of your neighborhood, and every one else whose youtube video failed to impress the marketing execs at Ford ...

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye

11. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    #1236 Sinovac, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Oh, so it's nothing more than a fashion statement? I guess the successful racing program is just a fashion accessory.

You seem to be an enthusiast as evidenced by the Superformance and Viper purchases. Both excellent cars. It's a shame that you don't see all that is good about Ford taking the risk of making a homologation car like the NFGT. I would think that all of us should encourage more companies to take risks like that.

12. Truth Teller

Truth Teller Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 18, 2017
    ??

Forgot GTLM, BOP, and Lemans. Will the new FGT outperform an ACR? Does it even matter?

I never attempted an allocation because the V6 does nothing for me. If it was my dream car and I had been granted one, rather than arguing on the internet about it, I'd be staring at this all day and enjoying my life.

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_1858w/public/news-listicle/image/motion_rear_34.jpg

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Tell ya what ...

Let's stop debating those things which are, according to multiple previous posts of YOURS, entirely subjective matters of personal opinion ... like power, weight, fuel economy of EcoBoost, aerodynamic drag, price etc etc

Instead, let's talk about those objective matters of hard data ... what color are you getting?

;)

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You are still talking about aero drag and fuel economy?

LOL.

Price too? You think they won't sell all of them?

Double LOL.

15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You seem to forget ... it wasn't me who chose to put an "EcoBoost" V6 motor in the car for fuel efficiency :D

Did you really think that "EcoBoost" was MY advertising campaign? How cute ... i'm flattered.

Regarding price ... let's see, when automotive journalists get their hands on a few, if ANY of them mention the Viper ACR ... at 1/3 the price.

Or ... do you think that any & all reviews of the car will completely ignore the price, compared to the competition? "Yep, that werewolf dude on Ferrarichat, he's the ONLY one comparing the performance to similarly priced (or much, MUCH cheaper) vehicles!!!"

LMAO

16. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Not sure yet. I made the decision (mistake?) to involve my family in the selections. We can't even agree on stripe/no stripe let alone the color, although Liquid Blue seems to be the leading candidate. I'm interested to see if Ford offers the 1967 Gurney/Foyt Mark IV LeMans livery as the 2018 Heritage. It might be our first red car since the 1992 Fox body Mustang we had.

What Superformance GT40 are you getting and who is building it?

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bah...existing marketing trademark they wanted to carry forward. It was on the Daytona prototype that won the 24 previously. I don't think anyone cared what gas mileage it got.

LOL! Dude, the Viper ACR is a monster...but it is what it is - not a sexy or technologically advanced car. It rules through brute force. More power to it, but it's a much different car. I would never want an ACR personally, but I would love to drive the GT.

99% will...most of it is just paid advertising anyway. But aside from that, most people that truly want this car are not cross-shopping Viper ACRs.

It's the same tired argument made against the Ferrari V8s..."oh you can get so much more performance from a Z06, PLUS your cousins will think you are sexy!"

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Here's the car :

Shelby.com

Shelby's "building", but it's sourced from Superformance. Mine's red.

The engine is a Shelby 427 FE (actually 468 CID), sourced from DenBeste.

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    New Ford GT vs Viper ACR :

Both American muscle
    Both 2-seater
    Both "race cars for the street"
    Both built in limited quantities
    Very similar power
    Very similar weight

hmmmm .... maybe not such a bad comparison afterall? ;)

True, the new Ford GT is the new wonder-tech ... versus that tired, old-school Viper ACR :( we'll see who wins :)

20. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Beautiful car. Can't go wrong with a Mk. II with the McLaren/Amon paint. Kar Kraft did a short run of continuation Mk IVs that were fantastic, but I was too slow and missed the boat.

21. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The NFGT is not likely to beat the ACR around many tracks, but there is no shame in that. Many cars costing multiples of the ACR's price aren't as fast around most tracks. The ACR sacrifices everything for those lap times. As awesome as the Viper was, the market obviously didn't care. That is a shame.

22. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thanks. I actually prefer the look of the Mk. I, but i couldn't resist the lure of a big block ...

23. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    That is the first smart thing you've said in this entire thread. Lol

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    If the lure of a big-block Ford motor is "smart" ... why would anyone (of even modest intelligence) settle for a turbo V6 ???

Inquiring minds ...

:D

25. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The engine works for it's intended purpose. All that matters to Ford is that they can say their Ecoboost V6 beats V8s in the most demanding endurance races in the world. If I had a choice between a V8 and the GT's dramatic shape, I'd pick the dramatic shape. I have plenty of V8s.