clouds & mobile killing my internet experience | FerrariChat

clouds & mobile killing my internet experience

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Mar 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm getting so frustrated with sites trying to force the way you use internet through clouds and mobile versions/apps. I know I'm old school, but I still think mobile browsing internet through safari desktop version and keeping data local is a better experience.

seems like I'm running into new examples daily, but lately some of them...

Facebook messenger - no I don't want messenger, I tried it and it sucks loading all your personal contacts annoying the **** out of you never knowing what is what. problem is to message in Facebook they require messenger unless you change browse to desktop every time you go into messages.

iTunes cloud - I like when all my music was local. I have a device and I know all the music is local, but I had problem where I couldn't get the music to play. Trouble shooting on internet you have to sign into iTunes and the cloud in order for your local music to play properly! However, now it has unsuccessfully tried to put all my music in the cloud, but only about half the songs available which I know are local on my device still aren't available because it hasn't successfully put them in the cloud.

I have about had it with technology, updates, and forcing me to do things the way they want. Get off my virtual lawn you stupid millennial developers that have no clue what your users want.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    They don't care what you want, they want you i.e. your ad identity, which is a marketable commodity.

BTW, watch out for a recent Win 10 update which adds their OneDrive as the default file saving location (instead of My Documents). If you already have a MS Live account and are logged in, guess where your files went.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I second that comment.

Weather.com did the same thing to me about 3 days ago. The radar map no longer works and the hour-by-hour forecast shows a few hours ahead but the link for more doesn't work. The help function is completely irrelevant for the new issues. They made another new and better change about 3 months ago and it took about a month for them to get enough complaints to make the features work.

4. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hell. I've been singing that tune since the cad system i use to make a living stopped supporting Unix and I was forced into MS Windows world.

5. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    As a person who contributed to you switching to mac :) - I am totally with you, F these apps and crap. I even switched lately solely to Linux / BSD to keep my sanity, privacy and online experience where I want it. Have few macbooks for work still since crap like Lync wont run on *nix

Cloud is phasing out. It will die in a way it is. Distributed / P2P / decentralized computing and internet is the future. It's coming. And I am working to bring it to life sooner....

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Coming full circle...

That's because, and thankfully, the technology has advanced enough to make it happen. For most people/businesses anyway.

Bandwidth is still the bottleneck.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnGbcM-H8c[/ame]

Oh quityerbellyaching already ... :D

I saw these in action a few times too!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RCgIrZiC6c[/ame]

I saw a guy come in with his entire company's warehouse inventory represented on cards, like 20 3 ft long boxes of them and he rented time on the machine to sort them in ways that would put them in certain output bins. He was there all day stacking them then on that top counter. And then he knocked it all over ... :eek:

But I do get what you're saying. I've never bought into the cloud and I just stop using software that's too intrusive.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #9 John_K_348, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Awesome guys! I totally agree! I am a librarian and info pro and I can't stand the constant, useless upgrades and mods. Forces to apps and so forth. Comcast just choked on my email and locked me out. It took an entire week of about 3 calls/chats to finally get up the chain to an engineer who could actually help me. The first agent said clean out your inbox. My inbox said I was using 3% of 10 gigs. Hell no. Second agent had me reboot my router, blowing up my home network and all my device links. I was furious, but they reset the SSID and so forth back. My email was till out of commission. I even tried the dang app, which worked finally but my outbox was still offline. Also suggested using K-9 mail which I have in the past. Finally the engineer called me at work, speaking in a nice southern drawl and even suggested dumping the app and going back to the native Samsung email client. I had the settings correct but the operating systems sometimes conflict. Samsung has 2 layers already with Android and Samsung so you get the picture. I could maintain security and encryption with other settings, but those are classified. ;) It locked out in the first place probably because the auto push/sync sent login data that got corrupted at the cell tower during torrential rain up here. It was during or before a Ferrari event! Almost immediately after finally fixing it, I saw brand new inbox pages for my Comcast email on the internet. Hmmmm, were you doing a site upgrade that required a lock on email? The servers don't update themselves and web code doesn't write or post itself, especially to an active email or internet client service. Bastards. If you need or want to do an update that requires a pause. Just tell us.

My gaming laptop updated to windows 10 just fine. It's pretty sweet. My Gaming desktop could not update to 10 for some reason. I tried several times. It may be because I have both x86 32 bit as well as 64 bit folders running so I can use older games as a developer. I hardly do now but even to play, I have to have the old structure for the mods to work. Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 was a great sim and had a superb xml engine. The modders online made 4 different theatres, hundreds of new aircraft, facilities and buildings.

And Google is pissing me off to no end. I updated my last phone because it was mad slow on maps. But even now, with Google play (dark cloud) is a royal pain. I have albums that I own and I KNOW I downloaded, that get stuck because it wants to play a video while I'm driving a 5 speed. Get over yourselves! I own the album. Downloaded it, and now you are threatening to make me crash because you want to make me watch a video which will suck bandwidth, or not run at all because I'm out of tower range going cross country, or be stupid low quality? What the hell? The customers are NOT coming first. Advertisers and developers are. The kind that don't have any fun.

10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Also, I learned on Apples. II, IIe, IIc. Mac classic and SE. I moved to Windows for work. Used DOS and Unix, VAX machines too. I know what floppies are and cassettes. Used 5.5 and 10 inch too. Or was it 8? I've seen the punch cards and used them to register for undergrad classes my first year. Never used the machines though.

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you own it, think before putting it into the cloud. Especially as an only copy.

Clouds are for sharing.

12. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm fine with tech. I just like real magazines and not the online versions that are laid out like a 3d version. I also like a real key board and don't use my phone or even the iPad much online. Grew up in a well off school district. We had Apple IIe's in our classrooms grade 6 and 7, back in 1983/4.

13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Well, as someone that maintains 60 websites and a SAAS company, we are forced to move to apps - why? because people rely on apps instead of entering a domain into a browser. Few know how to bookmark these days.

All our sites are mobile optimized, but that doesn't matter - people want an app, so we have to provide it.

See the thread on intelligence...

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Your post sounds like you're creating individual apps in lieu of a bookmark. Are you sure about that? Seems like apps were so... yesterday. Serious question because I'm interested.

15. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Based on 200,000 users - yes

16. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Apps allow push notifications, and users don't have to think to use it. Seems to be the goal these days. We did a rollout and were candidly shocked at how well it went over. People can remember to download an app, as they only have to do it once. Visiting a website requires more work - as silly as that sounds that's what the data told us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like "push notifications" is the key. Websites, on the other hand, demand a "sign up" with one's email address, and their efforts at that have become quite annoying. So you're offering a smooth alternative. I can see the attraction. Thanks.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, another reason guess I'm old school now. everyone on company and development side is pushing for apps, but I disagree. if I'm at home, work, or hotel I want my little 6 pound lap top and use browser. between desktop versions, mobile versions, and apps I still prefer 90% of the time on my phone just to use Safari and switch to desktop version. after a couple of recent iPhone updates it took me forever to figure out how to view desktop version! 3 years ago it was easier for that option on iPhone and more websites offered an easy link "desktop version". Again, companies are trying to force my hand and I don't like it. a good example is using FerrariChat desktop version mobile safari you can "finger zoom". I have found that is most efficient way to use FerrariChat mobile vs. tapatalk. guess what, apps haven't made it a standard or provide "finger zoom" and they have limits what they can throw on each screen because what people can read without ability to zoom and also to keep them from fat fingering. so you end up with multiple vertical and even now horizontal page scrolls. mobile also doesn't do sites like FerrariChat any favors because we get wordy in our posts, not 1 word Facebook replies where you post "awesome"!.

19. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I'm still on 5.25" floppies myself. Only need 21 of them to listen to the new Drake track.

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Except for FerrariChat, I've pretty much given up on the internet with my phone. I used to prefer the desktop version of sites but it doesn't scale very well on mobile devices, not like it used to anyway. For example, the ad placement (overlays all over everything) and sizing is just too much.

But you're right, forums are best experienced on laptops or PCs whereas Twitter is the example of the smartphone optimization. Oddly, Twitter is forced as mobile on my PC when using Chrome.

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    " Oddly, Twitter is forced as mobile on my PC when using Chrome."

That is not odd. the trend for some years now has been to develop for the phone first and then port to Desktop. The latest apps work that way. So Twitter is right with the trend.
    New plateform such as Xamarin are making this "easy".

Now one ca argue, starting with me, that this is not the best user experience

It is all about efficiency, cost effective designs and common look. I see a lot of apps that have not make that move. The apps doing their own port from desktop and paying large maintenance costs and development. Not sustainable moving forward if you want to be everywhere. The idea is to have one source code base, 1 test suite base and not worry about the myriad of hardware platforms.

22. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Not sure what you mean by that. The cloud is decentralized right? I mean, you can have multi-servers all around the globe and regions pick up the slack or the servers down in one area of the world. and now you do that deployment by code. you can even standardize your server OS independently from your Os running the app. You can run multiple app on different Os in one server..
    the possibilities are endless and you say the cloud will die? the latest trend on the cloud is not to even worry about your servers and scaling...

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The mobile problem with twitter on my PC is only in Chrome. Edge, IE11 and Firefox load the "desktop" version.

24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #24 Wade, May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just saw this while accessing my webmail. In other words, only apps (including the native smartphone email app) when using smartphones and most tablets. Or their "desktop" version when using PCs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login