Why do so many Ferraris catch fire in Hong Kong | FerrariChat

Why do so many Ferraris catch fire in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Sir Paul, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    I saw in SCMP on Sunday that another Ferrari caught fire (red 599) in HK. There was a 360 in January. Fires are all too frequent for Ferrari especially in HK. Any thoughts why?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Unless you believe Ferrari builds a different quality product for HK the only remaining possibility is that they are receiving poor quality service.

The quality of the service is directly related to a high percentage of the Ferrari fires here.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the dealer is being changed. Maybe low moral, poor quality control. Then again maybe the owners not doing enough preventative maintenance.

Any car will burn if it leaks fuel. Some are just more expensive than others.

4. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    In China "Ferraris" and "Fried Rice" are pronounced almost exactly the same.

5. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    WTF?

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe it has to do with endless sitting in traffic no speed or airflow for hours on end, massive heat buildup throw in a few inevitable fluid leaks. Could be a contributing factor.

hk458 likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My guess is it the same as in the ROW. Particularly in the V8s. You have the gas line running right next to an extremely hot engine. Not a particularly good idea.

8. ffchkgrich

ffchkgrich Rookie

Mar 6, 2017
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    RICH FU
    May I know when the dealer change can be done, I am interesting to purchase Ferrari 488 GTB, but the sales told me on hold, I have two choice now, purchase Lamborghini Huracan Spyder 610-4 or Ferrari 488 GTB, anyone can give me your comments and suggestions?

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Wait for the 488, or buy one somewhere else, and have it shipped in. If you can afford that car, you can afford the shipping costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8GEsUrQVY

10. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There are a few slightly used ones on the market in HK...unless you want a brand new one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Perhaps it's Karma ? Have received plenty of garbage produced in HK over the years :D

12. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC

Yeah, under the Fxckixg POMES.

13. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    A little bit rude I would suggest but then again we are two nations divided by a common language. At least we brits living in HK can spell POMS properly and know it to be an Australian derivative of "Prisoners Of her Majesty" which was not the case in Hong Kong. Trump that!

SonomaRik and hk458 like this.
  14. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Yes indeed. Plus, HK prospered quite nicely while under the auspices of Britain.

15. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just curious, what are you buying that is actually made in HK?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Having worked on a few I would say its the unique temp variation here with 99% humidity that takes a toll on parts. The wear rate on rubber items / hoses etc is extreme here. If you live in a place near the sea its worse with salt air damaging the components. Add stop start traffic to it with the heat in summer months and you have a recipe for disaster. many lamborghinis too suffered the same fate in hot climates. 36 deg in the summer with 95% humidity is not nice for hoses. A typical MOT only checks brake lines . No one checks Fuel hoses.

I lived in Clear Water bay and had my car in the Car Coon which was fantastic. Remember taking my 355 for a cam belt service to IMSS and they said the bearings and everyhing except the belt was in perfect condition and the car just needed the belts with no bearings or pulleys. All due to dry storage.

17. hk458

hk458 Rookie

Feb 12, 2018
    But the thing in Hong Kong market though is that some dealers may refuse to service your parallel import. If you know your own mechanic who knows his way around a Ferrari and with the newer ones a proper set of computers and software guess it's ok.

And the other thing is resale value for parallel imports are typically 30% less than what a dealer imported car can ask for. Then again if as you mentioned you can afford it, just keep it forever and don't care about resale value. I guess in summary, if you got cash you can buy one in whatever way you want LOL

18. hk458

hk458 Rookie

Feb 12, 2018
    Yep, they were meant to have air flowing over them and without massive engine bay cooling fans and no ram air effect once the car does get moving for the mid engine ones, heat will start to combust anything combustible like bits of oil smear or even road debris build up. Agree with someone else said owner maintenance is also a big thing, some people don't take their cars in for service and then wonder why when things go kaboom.
    Be glad at least we got an AC, I roast my nuts when I'm on a motorcycle (Ducati L twins are also famous for running too hot for urban environment without constant moving air) and if that catches fire..... LOL

19. hutsutau

hutsutau Rookie

Nov 2, 2012
    is there any estimation on the market share of parallel imported ferrari in HK

20. hk458

hk458 Rookie

Feb 12, 2018
    Sorry... no clue... =(