help from Chicago | FerrariChat

help from Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by LARRYH, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am seriously close to buying a FERRARI FROM Gold Coast BENTLEY. I have heard bad things about this dealer but The car they have appears very nice and is what I am looking for. However I have not seen it . My question is anyone know of a GOOD Ferrari person that would take a close look at the car before I close the deal....I am looking for a knowledgable technical person that could verify the paint and that the car is what it is represented to be.. The only thing keeping me is I do not know about the dealer.

2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Larry before you buy the car suggest you call both continental and Lake Forest Sports cars and ask them if they have serviced cars bought from that dealership.

Buyer be very aware!!!

3. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Do you mind letting me know what car? Is it the GTO or SA Aperta?

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The GTO I like the car but the dealer ?

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks for this do you have any contacts from continental or lake forest

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Get a PPI done by one of the local dealers, LFSC or Continental and DEMAND a lien free title with the car. No, they DON'T need to apply for the title, you can do it yourself even if buying from a dealer. Check with SOS or SOS police.
    These guys can't be trusted AT ALL which isn't saying they can't have a good car but believe nothing that comes out of their mouths.

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Larry, just call both dealers and ask for the service manager and they will be straight with you.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks based on the dealer reviews and reactions here I think I will move on to a different car just not worth dealing with a problem dealer

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/chicago-sponsored-lake-forest-sportscars/528377-experience-bentley-gold-coast.html

Larry -

Since being taken over by Perillo - Joe is one of the most disreputable figures in the Chicago business community - the place is run by Eurotrash. Mind you, they ARE a factory authorized Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and Rolls dealer, so they aren't exactly lemon lot salesmen, either. If they've got a rare limited production car that fits your bill, I would just insist on a third-party PPI and full service records. Car very well may be fantastic, but their salespeople couldn't tell a crankshaft from a dildo, and aren't to be trusted for any reason.

10. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    I'm not going to defend or flame BGC, but I will provide some first-hand facts. I bought a vehicle from them in 2011 (a loaded 2010 Porsche Cayenne Turbo with every performance option, carbon, etc.) that was low mileage at a fair price and had no issues with the transaction or the vehicle. I had a local Porsche dealer run the VIN pre-purchase to provide me history and it was clean.

Everything previously said here about the place trying to be more of a luxury lifestyle boutique rather than a real car emporium is absolutely true. The sales people are not into cars the way we are on this forum, but I also don't think they are total trash as others have made them out to be. They do have their staff drive the cars around to have them "seen", but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they view it as smart marketing (whether it is or not, debatable). They also have told me that a large percentage of their sales are exports, which makes sense and likely accounts for the euro-centric sales staff.

I lived two blocks away from BGC for several years and went in there periodically to check out their inventory when they had something interesting. The salespeople did not know I had previously purchased from them (they turn over too much to know that), but they were always friendly with me, even if I was in sweats stopping in while running errands, bringing in my family visiting from out of town who just wanted to see cool cars, etc.

FWIW, the GTO has been in the showroom since at least Thanksgiving. I took my family in the day after turkey day as I wanted to check it out (it is a bucket list car for me). I don't want to comment on quality of car as I was not looking at it from a purchase evaluation standpoint. That said, it was the first GTO I have seen in-person and it validated my love of it.

I'm not sure if this post if helpful or not but wanted to chime in since I have actually transacted with this outfit.

Best of luck with your search and purchase!

11. AnythingButTime

Feb 28, 2014
    Chicago,Il
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The horror stories most have about them date to the pre=Perillo days. Joe might be a little rough around the edges, but he isn't the con artist that the original owners were. I do agree that the place is run by some trashy people and the experience is much different than either of our authorized Ferrari dealers, but no different than any other high volume car dealership.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    So the current owner is JOE perillo not Joe Abbas
    it seems the horror stories were. Related to Abbas

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Perillo owns it, Abbas still runs it.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It looks like I have another deal worked out with a different dealer . Could not get comfortable with these guys thanks for the input ..
    Larry

15. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Glad to hear.

16. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    LARRYH- Good advice above. There have been several threads on here lately dealing with "Title Jumping" so beware of that scheme also, no matter which dealer you go with.

18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Agreed I found a Ferrari certified GTO complete with the cpo warranty and power plus Ferrari warranty from an authorized Ferrari dealer...I feel much better about this ..
    more details to come in the 599 forum
    Thank you so much for your help it confirm what I had a bad feeling about
    Larry

19. Adrenalista

Adrenalista Rookie

Mar 19, 2017
    Chicagoland
    Just my experience... In the last 2yrs we have purchased a couple of NEW cars from them. I call out new, because I've no experience with the used side of things and don't know if there is a difference. However, whoever got the trades wouldn't have had anything to worry about, I baby my cars and am immaculate about them.
    I don't see these guys as a lifestyle sales team. Seriously, there are other dealers out there that do more to cater to ego stroking and making the purchase process a high end experience. With BGC you talk some numbers and sign papers, it's not champagne and fanfare. Once you are in, service continues to get better.
    Any issues with the cars (be realistic these are not Fords, and the low numbers manufactured no matter how much you pay for one guarantees something isn't going to be perfect) has been taken care of promptly, without fuss or issue no matter the cost or time to them. Always courteous. I know they've gotten bad feedback, and I walked into the first deal with eyes wide open. But just haven't had anything negative... it's always worked out... and I'm sure they could have left us holding the bag, but they always did the right thing.