Modifying the exhaust valves | FerrariChat

Modifying the exhaust valves

Discussion in '612/599' started by hextronik, Sep 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hextronik

hextronik Rookie

Jul 2, 2009
    Hi guys.
    I have a 599 (obviously, thats why I'm here) and as much as I love the noise when the exhaust valves are open; under 4,000rpm it sounds like a Toyota and not very exciting.

Is there a way to keep the valves open when under 4,000rpm?
    I took a look under the boot and noticed that the valve is open when the engine is turned off, and the valve seems to be operated by an air-hose of some kind.

Is there a simple solution to keeping those valves open all the time. And would it do any harm in regards to exhaust back-pressure?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #2 Ferrarista3, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our 599 has had a switch installed under the steering wheel which keeps the valves open in one position and returns them to their stock setting in the other. A dealer can do the installation within $500 (at least here in Europe).

...and the head-technician in the Modena dealership in Italy confirmed that it does not harm the car in any way (in fact he does such installations frequently).

Do it. It's worth it ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I just got my mechanic to permanently tie the valves open, the car sounds much better now! He told me that it would be slightly faster as well, but I haven't really noticed anything.

4. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Yes...the throttle feels slightly more responsive with the valves open (not that you'd need any more responsiveness with that engine). It's easier for me to tell as I can experiment with that switch.

With the valves always open the car sounds AMAZING IMO. Not too loud and not too quiet. It also sounds extremely good when downshifting and when releasing the accelerator. It really puts a smile on your face even when driving calmly :)

Mikestradale likes this.
  5. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    You're absolutely right! But the car is still quieter than my friend's completely unmodified 430 :(

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the 575M, it is very easy to shuffle the vacuum hoses and have the valves open all the time. On the 575M, springs hold the valves closed and vacuum opens them (fail closed). Sounds like it may be the opposite on the 599 if they are open when the engine is turned off, they may be sprung open and vacuum closed (fail open). If so, just disconnecting the vacuum hose to the exhaust bypass solenoid should keep them open all the time. Disconnecting the individual vacuum lines to the pneumatic valves on the tailpipes should do the same thing. A 5 minute job for any good technician. I do not have a 599 WSM, so am just extrapolating from the 575M. Make sure any open connectors are plugged to prevent crud form gettin ginside.

Some of the aftermarket exhaust systems actually have a remote that allows you to control the valves. Corvette owners for years have used one of their Homelink buttons to override the valves remotely, just like Carlo's switch.

This parts catalog page from Ricambi's site shows the vacuum accumulator, vacuum lines, exhaust bypass solenoid, T fitting, and lines to the pneumatic tailpipe valves. Depending on how this system works, moving vacuum lines around or disconnecting vacuum lines will give you an easily reversible open valve capability.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. hextronik

hextronik Rookie

Jul 2, 2009
    Hello, tazandjan.
    Yes, it seems the 599 is the opposite, in case of an air-line leak etc. the valves would stay open. When the engine is off the valves are open and even stay open for a few seconds after starting the car giving a loud RoooM then settling to a purrr.

I guess what I I need to know now is if there is any bypass hose or flow system that I would be interupting if I disconnect the hoses. Im sure I can't just unplug the hose and leave it as that would bleed off alot of air and cause whatever it is causing the vacum/pressure to work overtime.

The diagram you gave looks fantastic and from studying it I'm guessing I need to 'modify' #32 or #36 as they look like some type of control unit.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hex- If the vacuum closes them, all that is necessary is to pull the hose going into the bypass solenoid and plug the inlet to the solenoid and plug the line and tie it off. You could also pull the hose going from the vacuum accumulator and plug the accumulator outlet and hose end. Alternatively, pull the lines going to the individual tailpipe pneumatic valves and plug the lines and both pneumatic valve inlets. No problems with vacuum in any of those cases as long as the lines and inlets/outlets are plugged. It all just depends on which lines are easiest to reach.

Much easier than a 575M, where vacuum holds them open and you need to move hoses around to have continuous vacuum.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Taz,
    I just disconnected the lines going to each muffler solenoid and plugged them.. I have not thrown a cel,is this going to hurt anything in the long run? I also had the secondary cats removed and replaced them with straight pipes from Fabspeed wow do they sound great!. Hit that baby hard in second or third going through a tunnel and its pure bliss,lol..Kevin

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F57- Absolutely no problems with the valves being permanently open on a V12. The valves are a long way from the engine and keeping them open has no effect, except on engine music and back pressure.

The problem cars are some of the V8s, especially the F355, where the valve is very close to the engine.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    No CEL when using the Fabspeed straight throughs? The Fabspeed website doesnt have any sound clip. Can you post something for us to hear.

Thanks

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The question was whether overriding the exhaust bypass valves would cause problems like a CEL and the answer is no.

There is no relationship between that answer and using manufacturers' exhaust components that bypass major parts of the emission control system. Talk to the manufacturer for those answers.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    The service manager at my official dealer told me this would cause the 599 to lose all its bottom end torque.

Can anyone confirm that having the valves open would cause this?

Thanks

14. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    That is not true at all.
    My car has the valves open permanently plus the Fabspeed secondary cat delete. No issues, no CEL, just lots of smiles.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kind of hard to lose all the torque on a 6 liter V12. If someone did dyno runs, there might be a slight loss of torque at very low revs, but the valves open automatically at somewhere around 2700 rpm depending on throttle setting. Nobody's rear end dynamometer is going to notice it, however, and the improvement in low rev music will be noticeable.

Those valves are mostly for noise regulations on European drive cycles.

16. FERR430dxb

FERR430dxb Rookie

May 10, 2016
    Capristo offers a valve controller remote for around $ 800 .
    I installed that on my F430 and 599 .

17. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    That is BS that you lose all bottom end torque. With respect to the Service Manager and I know who he is, he is not a tech. It is correct that when you lose some back pressure there is a drop in torque but you do not lose all bottom end torque. These motors are producing so much torque that you will not notice losing 2% to 5%. The engine revs so readily that you are past 3,000 revs in a split second and your engine is in its torque band.

JKay you are close to Port Botany, go down there early Sunday morning do a recon run to see if there is any HWP if not, do a launch with your exhaust valves operating as normal. Then do the same launch after you open your valves with your controller and then come back and tell me that you noticed a detrimental difference when you launched her with the valves open.

LightGuy likes this.
  18. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    G'day Frostie

I might already have had a little run and tried that out :)
    Can't say I've noticed any drop in torque at the bottom end

Car is much louder too, and can hear those lovely crackles

Way better than stock

19. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Your exhaust Bypass work with vacuum and should be failed open
    Engine management will control the vacuum feed through a solenoid actioned valve
    Just disconnecting the solenoid plug will allow you to drive with the bypass always opened. It is a better solution than unplugging vacuum lines in and out as they can crack by tried to pull them out where as the electric connector is a plug

The part is number 32 on the diagram below, it is clearly on the left side of the engine bay, near the secondary air injection pump, I do not know the 599 but on the 612 it is all the way in front bumper ( on the right side though )

Good luck with this

SECONDARY AIR PUMP - Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

Makuono likes this.
  20. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Makuono likes this.
  21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Swiss, what are you disconnecting on your 612?

22. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    Here you can see a couple clips of my 2008 612 HGTC after some serious mods :)

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All I can tell you is, if you show the car at a Concours, the first thing they look at on start up is that the valves close. I think it's a one point deduction if they don't.

24. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Michel,

Thanks for your suggestion. It makes sense and for sure will be cleaner than to close the vacuum plumbing to the exhausts.

My 612 has the valves and the sports exhaust (it is a pre-OTO), but I never managed to find the schematics for this version - which should be similar to the OTOs.

Do you happen to know where we can find the schematics (the ones in the usual sites like Eurospares is for the first 612s - no valves)?

Thanks again.

25. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    F3RN4ND0 and Makuono like this.