Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nico308

nico308 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2011
    could it not be 1977 because I found an article of the Ferrari Club France of an event from Nivelles in 1977 (june 9th)with the same cars

Delaunay,F-512BB
    Maitam,B-512BB
    Dantinne,B-365 GTB/4 C
    Bernard Comte,F-250LM
    ??,GB-365 GT/4 BB ( RPL 647R # 17861)

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Dear John

I probably forgot to tell you before, but that was September 1976, FOC Concours, West Dean, West Sussex.

Mark

3. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    RPL 647R Nigel Chilton Hunt

4. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    #679 Classic Oldtimer, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Mr Oldtimer.

I have far too much respect for you already to refer to you as Classic, your given first name.

You have generated far more interest in just a handful of posts than others manage in hundreds!

What some great names on the list that you have posted! I wonder who you are and if you are on that list? Clearly others more informed than me already know but I am fascinated and eagerly await more, from what is clearly an amazing archive.

Please share as much as you can.

Robert

6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I do not only love all the names on the list, I love the spelling mistakes, the inaccuracies and the vagaries. I realise that all of these do nothing to assist any Ferrari historian but they were a sign of the times and make these documents all the more fascinating.

#1 (presumably!) Tippexed out (or whatever the Belgians use instead of Tippex!) Or is this hiding something else?
    #11 Willoghby in a W!
    #12 Wrigt (could possibly be spelled this way but very difficult to pronounce!)
    #34 Nigel (possibly, but a poor typewriter ribbon leaves us guessing). Possibly a surname but more likely not.
    #41 Styrron from G.G.!
    #42 Mason (perhaps there was a M. (or Mme.) Mason from France but after a Mr (or Mrs) Styrron from G.G.?)
    #76 someone called Ori from Belgium in a "Mille Miglia". I guess we can all find out who/what car this was but it made me smile!

I do not like highlighting mistakes in old documents, as I accept that there will be other errors that I have not mentioned that other readers will pick up on. However, as I said in an earlier post: much more laid back and carefree than things today.

Robert

7. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    "Back in the golden age" we didnt have internet and emails and so entry forms were completed in "handwriting" -- not always good and easy to make a few mistakes -- also some drivers raced under pseudonyms
    This partly accounts for the variances on the listing of entries

I'm not sure bur Richard Bond could have been driving Col Hoare's Boxer
    One of the few events where we had Ronnie Hoare and Sean Bealey at a european event.

8. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Not sure of the chassis number but in the programme the entrant/driver is Christian Mineef if that helps. A quick google search suggests it is possibly 15045.

9. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #684 Mark Shannon, Mar 7, 2017
    It is definitely #15045. And here she is today.

Mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Great thread! And awesome pictures Marcel!

I know this was an old post but has the 206 S Dino with race# 27 already been identified? Thanks.

Peter

11. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    #686 Classic Oldtimer, Mar 7, 2017
  12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Peter. It was identified as 024. See posts 442 and 443.

Robert

13. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    #688 Ferrari27, Mar 14, 2017
    I do not have many pictures left that fit into the "old" category for this thread. Perhaps I will have to raid my Father's collection (mostly 35mm slides unfortunately) and find some of John Surtees in Ferraris at Silverstone in the 60s.

A few more of mine though:

Testarossa on the Pininfarina stand at the NEC on 24 Oct 1986.
    400 GT (YUL 2T) at Castle Combe on 20 Apr 1987 (goodness knows why I took this photograph from so far away with such a long lens!).
    308 GTS at Prescott Hillclimb on 28 Jun 1987.
    275 GTB at the Prescott 50th Anniversary meeting on 22 May 1988.
    John Starkey's 250 TdF (0911GT) again at Prescott on 22 May 1988.
    308 GT4 (AUE 187S) (before all of its modifications) at Prescott on 7 Apr 1990.
    308 GTB (B656 OPG) at Castle Combe on 15 Sep 1990.
    308 GTS (A922 HPK) at Castle Combe on 15 Sep 1990.
    308 GTSi (YLU 33X) at Castle Combe on 6 Oct 1990.

Robert

14. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Hi Robert, tbh don't worry too much about how old the photos are - the fact that you are sharing them is wonderful. Most photos seem to languish in computers or people's lofts, never to see the light of day. If your father is the sort of person who would like to see his photos shared to an appreciative audience, it would be great to see. Now you have dangled this carrot, you'll have to show us at least one of his photos! Thank you for all your enthusiasm. Robert W

15. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #690 johngtc, Mar 14, 2017
    330 GTC #11333 is it was (and I was!) in mid 1981, shortly after I puchased her from the second owner. She is still with me 36 years later, but looking a bit different now.

16. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #691 johngtc, Mar 14, 2017
  17. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    John.

Has the colour of the car changed between these two pictures, or is it just differences in the photography that make it seem that way?

Robert

18. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Hi Robert

The first photo is Azzuro Metallizato, the original colour. The second is following a repaint. The colour is very similar but slightly darker.

The second shot is a scan of a transparency taken on a very sunny day and this makes it appear darker than it actually was.

For those who record such things, the car was originally MMR 97G, then RAC 46, VTN 268G and currently 6 JHG.

John

19. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    brilliant to see a well loved 330GTC--- still one of the best and most drivable Ferraris

Wise fellow John to keep it

20. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Robert.

I will see what I can do but it will not be easy. He has literally thousands of slides: family weddings, birthday parties, my brother and me growing up, aeroplanes, and then the motor racing ones. I think he used slide film from the early/mid '60s until possibly as late as the early '80s.

He was at Aintree for the British GP in 1961 and there are some old photographs taken on a box brownie (or something like that) which are tiny and not very good quality. I have not seen them for years but seem to recall they show some of the cars racing. Mostly I recall they show just how wet it was! I do not know how well they will scan but it may be worth a go.

The best ones are those taken later with a better camera in the pits at Silverstone for GP and International Trophy meetings. He was a Jim Clark fan so there are lots of pictures of Lotuses but also some really good Ferrari ones too. He has started to sort through them all and convert them to a digital format but I do not think he has done many yet. The problem is likely to be that they are too good to post here. From what I remember the quality is amazing and they are all in colour. I suggested a few years ago that he should consider selling them to someone like Ferret Photographs as I am sure that someone like that would have bought them all. I do not know how a potential buyer would react if the pictures had already been posted online. I am not sure now I would want to see them sold, but they need to be shared with an audience somehow.

I will see what he thinks when I see him next.

Robert.

P.S. It is a shame he did not photograph the events he competed in. He used to do sprints, mainly, and often in the same event (but not the same class) was Ron Fry in his 250 LM.

21. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Robert, wow, that's great. Definitely don't risk copywright on the web if the collections is likely to be preserved in a photo library. It's great that there are still collections from so long ago still to see the light of day! Robert

22. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    P.S. It is a shame he did not photograph the events he competed in. He used to do sprints, mainly, and often in the same event (but not the same class) was Ron Fry in his 250 LM.[/QUOTE]

If its not a rude question Robert, what was your fathers name?
    Please pm if you prefer....Phill.

23. MattOz

MattOz Karting

Apr 28, 2004
    Warwick
    Full Name:
    Matt Osborne
    #698 MattOz, Mar 18, 2017
    I've had a look through some old pics and have taken pictures of the pictures with my phone, so apologies for the quality. They're all from the early '90's. My Dad and I attended the events in a lovely pre-ABS 328GTB.

The pics below are of the 328, a very wet Ragley Hall hillclimb, and a Silverstone Ferrari day. Think it was 1992 or 1993 and an anniversary weekend, but not sure. Was it an event for Maranello being the UK importers?

Additionally, a couple from the FOC AGM in Stratford. Again, think it was 1992 or thereabouts.

Again, apologies for the quality, but this thread brought back some great memories.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    288 GTO with plates B 582 FGC is #53785.
    288 GTO with plates B 993 DUH is #56337.

Marcel Massini

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for posting MattOZ
    It might be worth sending these to the FOC, as they are looking for old photos of their events?