Defrauded by private party seller. Seeking attorney in the SoCal area. | FerrariChat

Defrauded by private party seller. Seeking attorney in the SoCal area.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zakiu, Mar 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zakiu

zakiu Rookie

Jul 31, 2016
    Hi everyone! I was potentially defrauded by a private seller while purchasing a Ferrari. I am seeking an attorney in the LA area who is familiar with vehicle sales and fraud.

I have a lot of experience in the automotive industry and am versed in all things automotive. In this particular transaction the paperwork has not even been finalized. Meaning the payment was sent, the vehicle has arrived (not as described), and no further paperwork has been completed. I have not received the title.

Please let me know if you know of someone who can help. It would be ideal to have an attorney who understands the Ferrari culture and has had experience with FNA as well, given that a dealership's service department may be involved. I am versed across multiple manufacturers, but this was supposed to be my first Ferrari.

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Not in CA, but what paperwork did get completed?

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Sounds like the title hasnt been completed and delivered to him yet.

Not sure about lawyers out there but there are quite a few laywers on this forum I'm sure someone knows someone.

Become a member and you can post in other sections that may bring more eyes on the subject.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Not going to comment any further than " not as described" is your own fault.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'd say "not as described" doesn't give anything like enough information to form an opinion as to who's fault the situation is.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I once sold a car long distance that I had leased. California offers a 15 day tax free lease buyout, so I waited for payment, shipped the car, then had to wait 3 weeks for Audi to send the title. All of which was explained to the buyer. In the mean time, the buyer's BMV told him there was no such law, and it was fraud. Lawyers were called, threats were made, letters sent. A couple of weeks later he got the title and I never heard from him again.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    What is the reason/response the seller has given for not providing the title? Perhaps it had a lien on it and it's waiting to clear? Are they withholding it because you have deemed the car "not as described" and you are now in a dispute? If it's a private party sale how would a dealership service department be involved?

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vague post is vague.

9. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I'd be interested to know: Did the buyer have a PPI done on the vehicle?

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Didn't we have another thread on here about last week that someone identified as a possible case of "Title Jumping?" Just throwing that out as another reason for the possible delay in clearing up the paperwork.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Cant really expect anyone to take this seriously without more information.

As far as Title, Ive had it literally take months to get to me.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What is "potentially defrauded"?

You either are or you aren't.

I am "potentially thin". That doesn't make me thin. :)

raider1968 likes this.
  13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes it does take time to get the title some times over a month.

Not everything is instantanious and you should have gone and looked at the car in person.

No ppi can replace your eyes and if you didnt do a ppi well youll just have to deal with it.

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Best post !

15. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Can wait to see how this turns out.

16. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    Potentially defrauded means: I feel defrauded but in legal terms I am not sure I was defrauded.

Not all of us are experts on civil law you know.

Regards

CF

17. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The seller said he had the "clean New York State title in hand." It is curious that the buyer has the car and not the title. The title should have arrived even before the car (assuming the car went from NY to CA).

I am also wondering if damage happened during transport.

19. zakiu

zakiu Rookie

Jul 31, 2016
    I understand you guys are after the juicy details, but at the same time I am concerned about privacy and I do not want to be accused of any wrongdoing on my part. As such, I will not make definitive statements or provide evidence I have in advance of going to court. To my knowledge, it is best to keep details private until the lawyers say you can communicate them publicly. Currently I just need an attorney. Once I have one, I can learn what I can and cannot post publicly.

Potentially defrauded means that as far as I can tell, I've been defrauded. I won't say for sure until a judge decides. However any attorney worth his salt will understand once presented with the facts.

bobinnj likes this.
  20. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    This strikes me as a real shame. I don't know either of you guys but the fella selling the car is a long term f chat member and seems to be a real car enthusiast. You paid money and he delivered a car - so it's not outright theft - presuming the issue is condition / service related is there no way you guys can just have a man to man chat and sort this out?

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #22 TheMayor, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    If you're interested in your privacy you have a strange way of going about it!

Seems to me you are trying to get a bit of personal revenge by posting. I'm not blaming you but there are 10 million better ways to find a lawyer than coming to Fchat and telling everyone a member here has "potentially" screwed you over (you're not sure????)

People who are interested in privacy tend not to air their issues in public forums and accuse someone known here they are a "potential" crook.

I'm not saying you didn't get screwed over. Maybe you did. Maybe you're putting pressure on someone. Maybe you're just angry. But lets get off the "I'm protecting my privacy" when you start to accuse others of wrongdoing and then walk away.

22. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm quite surprised you have the car without having paid for it yet.

23. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg

Fixed.

24. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Zakiu, under the Ferraris for sale Classifieds thread "2006 Ferrari F430 Spider F1 red/tan New clutch and F1 Pump" (that was the original thread where Cscat87 advertised the car for sale and you purchased the car), you said after the purchase: "FYI it appears as though the seller has committed fraud regarding this vehicle." (My emphasis added). You provided absolutely no details substantiating your claim even though the seller in the original ad posted detailed information regarding the car, both good and bad.

In that thread there was discussion of the fact that the seller was also selling his 2009 Maserati GranTurismo. So you then went to the Other Cars for sale Classified thread "Selling my 2009 Maserati GranTurismo" also started by Cscat87 and said: "Whoever purchased this may want to contact me. Cscat87 grossly misrepresented the F430 he sold me and may or may not have done the same with this buyer. I would be interested in knowing more about their experience." Again you provided absolutely no details of you allegations.

When you started this thread entitled "Defrauded by private party seller. Seeking attorney in the SoCal area" you said: "I was potentially defrauded by a private seller while purchasing a Ferrari." In terms terms of substance all you said was "the vehicle has arrived (not as described), and no further paperwork has been completed. I have not received the title." When pressed to provide details you say: "I am concerned about privacy and I do not want to be accused of any wrongdoing on my part. As such, I will not make definitive statements or provide evidence I have in advance of going to court. To my knowledge, it is best to keep details private until the lawyers say you can communicate them publicly."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

Cscat87 provided details, both good and bad, in excruciating detail in his ad about the car. Then you go out in three different threads and talk about fraud and misrepresentation and specifically target Cscat87. You do this knowing that Cscat87 is a respected, long term member of the forum and his friends are part of the forum. When you are given the benefit of the doubt and repeatedly asked for details, you come up with this crap that you are concerned about privacy and don't want to be accused of wrongdoing.

You intentionally published in THREE different threads extreme allegations against Cscat87 with absolutely no support. If you were concerned about privacy you would not have made any post. If you didn't want to be accused of wrongdoing you would state the facts, not make outrageous unsubstantiated allegations.

Zakiu, it is time to put up or shut up. Stop the bs and state the factual issue or shut the ---- up! It is simply not fair to use the forum to harass and make extreme unsubstantiated allegations about a long term member.