AMG GT | FerrariChat

AMG GT

Discussion in 'Other German' started by TestShoot, Jan 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I was not a huge fan, but had a little fun against one the other day. Aside from the front bumper arriving 10 minutes before you do, what will be the pitfalls? And is that rumor of the bottom falling out on values in the next year or two likely?

2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Depreciation on most AMG products are pretty bad. The 'bottom' is always falling out on AMG as they are nothing more than mass produced cars at this point. About 46% after 3 years is what is targeted as of now. Do they tank price wise--yes. But most cars do these days.

The GT is a fun car and I am thinking about adding one. Buy right and enjoy it. As much as I love that new GTR coming in summer, that $200k car will be worth $130-$140 after a year. If you can stomach that go for it. Personally I think the 'base GT' is a good buy.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #3 Jo Sta7, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I liked basically everything about the AMG GT when a dealer let me borrow one for a weekend. My only gripe is it's too tight inside. I was never able to feel comfortable driving it because of that. Here's the one I drove, still for sale possibly.

PS: I'd wait a year for the AMG GTR, I hear it's so special.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I don't the GT will follow the normal AMG curve. No way that car is $40k in 6-8 years like an SL600 would be with similar initial MSRP.

My guess is the GT will ultimately bottom in the $60-75k range and start back up from there.

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I like the 'tight factor' of it. I think getting pano roof is key to opening up.

If you're really into tracking and have tons of cash to burn, grab the GTR. For the 95% of the rest of people, base GT optioned right will serve purpose without mass depreciation. Just $$.

Hate to bust the party, but see where 2016 used GT S are going for $100k on a $140 car. GTC is coming out and probably 10 other versions...very MB/AMG. Also, go ask for a lease today and they will give you a 48% residual on 36 month. You do the math.

Personally I like the car, but buy right and get one optioned right, as either way you will take a big hit on resale. But no different than many cars these days. Too much competition.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    My neighbor bought a 2016 GTs with aero package and fixed wing and glass roof, gorgeous wheels with grey exterior and brown interior. Car had 350 miles and he picked it up for a reported $119k. He spent another $4k to professionally wrap the entire car....I mean everything is wrapped top to bottom, front to back.
    I am searching for a GTs as well, as I expect the GTR will be hardcore track oriented and not really a Road and Track. I am looking. don't like Black on black though...not for TX. cheers

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I let myself get horribly out of shape, and it is a problem with the car for me. It is a fun car, but not suited for my canyons or LA life, it is just too much hood ahead of the driver and not enough space.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think it will depreciate like most AMG models. I think it will follow what the SLS and G-wagen have been doing.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Somewhat agree. I think it will depreciate but just at a slow pace. SLS hasn't really depreciated at all (well coupe anyway). But that was a one model run. We now have a GTC, GTR and who knows what's to follow. GT S will be a 90k car in 6 months and that's a HELL of a car for 90-95k.

10. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Folks need to spend some time on mbworld.com researching the litany list of issues these AMG GT/S have had. It's not pretty. There's no way on god's green earth they will hold their value like the SLS.

The GTR... now that is hopefully a different story (in terms of quality and lower depreciation).

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the SLS has the gullwing doors and arguably the best motor on the planet.... the NA 6.3.

i have been watching them and the same sellers are relisting them over and over.

MB is now offering "newer" versions, cabs, the limited edition GTC and the coming GTR.

aka, pumping them out.

12. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Yep.

I own a '11 SLS Gullwing. Prices bounced off lows about 2 years ago (when production ceased) and have recovered quite a lot of ground. The doors and N.A. engine are the "biggies" but the lineage back to the bluechip 300SL is an undeniable tug on the car-guy heartstrings.

The SLS was limited production. The GT series are pumped out regardless of whether the order slot is taken by a real customer.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So are you saying the SLS isn't moving in the secondary mkt in your estimation?

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    no, the AMG GT.

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    re reading my post i see i wasnt clear. B-

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've driven an SLS coupe and convertible. I actually prefered the convertible to drive and in looks with the top down but if I was to get one it would be hard to not get a coupe because of the amazing doors.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No worries man I just don't watch either market so I was curious.

18. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    It's hard not to love the convertible, what with the amazing exhaust note being even more thrilling. The doors (on the coupe) are a real panty dropper tho. :)

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#19 Cigarzman, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

After driving the SL 63 for many model years I figured I would put my money down on a new GT roadster. I went to my MBZ dealer to check out a GT coupe they had and I found the seats to be so horribly uncomfortable I passed. I would going to use it for my DD. So that was that. I did buy another 2017 SL 63. At this time there is no other seat option , when there is I'll buy one. As far as depreciation , that's just a given . Oh , and when I say horribly uncomfortable I mean they downright suck. I'm 5'11 195 so not a huge person .

20. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    yep as the doors go up, the panties drop...

21. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    The new AMG GT brings to mind the Porsche 928 -- which is why it is so appealing to me -- especially since Porsche refuses to produce a modern version of their original. They have the Panamera platform which could easily be used for a 2+2 coupe...go figure.

At any rate, kudos to Mercedes for taking that bold step! This car is definitely on my radar.

22. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I agree, it reminds me of the 928 also. It's a much better looking car than the SLR or SLS.