California Ground Clearance | FerrariChat

California Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jadenguyennn, Mar 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Hi everyone, I'm from North Jersey. I'm trying to buy a 2014 cali soon, but I'm just wondering if there's any problem when I drive the car in the winter since it looks kind of low to to the ground comparing to other cars.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

We don't get snow often down here in Dallas, Texas, but I've had no issues scraping the front of my Cali. My 911 is much more problematic than my Cali. I think you'll be fine if you have appropriate tours in moderate snow. If the snow really starts to pile up, then I suspect you will just stay off the roads...T

3. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I live in NE and put the car away from Dec-early April. The tires take a while to warm up when it's cold, and you'll notice it around corners and braking. I worry about sand, potholes etc. and I wouldn't dare take it out in the snow - it'd be a sled with the summer tires. Plus it's a special treat in the Spring to bring it out when temps are 45 degrees+ and sunny. I lowered mine by 7/8 - 1" so it's even tougher, but in general, rough roads are ok and taking a smaller, less deep pothole at speed is ok, but a deep pothole, even at a crawl, will bottom out the car when our 911 won't. Also speed bumps and driveway inclines are tough - plan on some uncomfortable noises (just on the plastic guards underneath) from time to time.

4. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Do you know if there's an option inside the car that can raise the car higher?

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  6. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Even with my Cali lowered nearly 1", it's very drivable in virtually all (3 season) road conditions without a concern. I installed a sacrificial plastic skid just behind the front cowel which serves the purpose of protecting the underbody from the occasional scrapes. But I wouldn't consider driving the car regularly in the winter without snows for the softer cold weather tread compound, and to me it just isn't what I'd want to drive regularly in the winter anyway. But if your concern is a steeper driveway ramp or speed bumps, then perhaps the after market lift kit would be an option. At least that's something to consider if you find it necessary after driving the car for a while.