How I am enjoying the F1 transmission | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How I am enjoying the F1 transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    #26 Carbonio, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A great addition to further the F1 experience are the Carbonio Challenge Shift Paddles. It's been said that once tried you cannot go back to stock. Why? Stiff and lengthened construction combined with ergonomic design offer increased shifting ability at extreme steering angles.

Beautifully finished in OEM spec carbon fiber, these paddles are direct bolt in for an extremely practical upgrade.

More information and online ordering available at:
    Carbonio Performance - Ferrari 360 Challenge Shift Paddles
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    After several years of using a set of Carbonio extended paddles (575 and 360 have identical paddles), I could not go back to OEM paddles. Improvement in daily driving ease of use is huge.

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

True! Replaced the OEM paddles w/ Carbonio. Once you go black, you never go back!

4. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    #29 HIO Silver, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    An F1 transmission releases "Your Inner Kimi"... "... the Iceman cometh"

5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    After my research, I found two issues that contribute to this "more prone to glitches."

The first, which we all know from experience, is dirty hydraulic fluid in the transmission control system. One of the first maintenance tasks I performed when I received my car was to renew the fluid. It was a simple task, whereby I drained the fluid in the reservoir with a turkey baster to a safe level and refilled. I then exercised the transmission. After the third time, the fluid I was removing was becoming quite clear, and with the fourth refill, I believed I was good for awhile.

The second issue is the motor and indirectly the pump head on the transmission hydraulic system. As was detailed by a no longer participant, regretfully, in this forum, the motor is susceptible to early failure, and the pump head lacks capacity. Both of these contribute to intermittent and complete failure.

An improved motor w/heat sink and higher output capacity pump head sits in my garage waiting for install which I expect to accomplish shortly.

6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I like this design. Often, when making a 90 degree turn from a full stop, I have found it necessary to shift one of my hands from the steering wheel to touch the OEM paddles to shift. I am not comfortable doing this. The design shown here would eliminate that problem.

Oh dear, another expense and install to compliment my delightful time in the garage!

7. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    If you have not seen it here is a video showing the advantages of the longer paddles over stock:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZ4lGUh8kk[/ame]

I cannot stress enough that this is NOT only for people who drive on the track. The advantages are every bit as much if not greater in day to day driving. Ferrari themselves have recognized the shortcomings of the smaller paddles and have been fitting progressively longer and longer paddles on each new generation of car. Some of their special series cars like the TDF and Speciale have paddles from factory almost as long as ours. Universally these are loved by our customers and have become a 'must have' upgrade for many when trading up to a newer Ferrari.

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I have aftermarket carbon fiber paddles installed by the previous owner, I do not know if they are Carbonio or not, the longer design improves the experience a lot, only drawback is pulling by mistake the windshield wipers jets in your recently washed car.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Funny, because mine have never interfered with either stalk.

10. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Love the F1, and the experience of driving it is so special! My other two cars are manual, both great especially the dog leg 2.3-16 Merc....but... the F1 and those awesome sport mode downshifts rules!!

11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I wanted F1 but a good manual came along. However my teeny eeny weeny garage and more importantly narrow garage door, I think maybe an F1 would have been much more difficult to reverse out slowly?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, not a problem. Your right foot determines how the clutch engages.

13. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I don't track my Spider. The longer paddles would seem to interfere actuating the turn signal/headlight stalk and wiper stalk.

In the end... I'm indifferent to either style.

14. steve_fr

steve_fr Rookie

Dec 11, 2016
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Lenz
    My experience of the quickest gear change with the F1 was from 3rd to 4th with 8500 RPMs...very addictive ;)

15. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just hate it when I'm turning left at turn 5 at Road America and I honk the damn horn. Got to wonder what that corner worker thinks of me... I'm not the only either. LOL.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The longer paddles do not interfere with either stalk. One of the advantages is the ability to downshift while also actuating the turn signal for lane changes. Sort of like heel and toeing with your fingers.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Noted, thanks.

18. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name: