Looking at purchasing F50 #103033 | FerrariChat

Looking at purchasing F50 #103033

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F40-R, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #1 F40-R, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've inspected the car in person, however it is missing the books and history.

Does anyone have the original books for it or brand new blank ones?

Any info would be much appreciated...!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    How strange that this special car is missing key info. Anyway, expect quick help from experts around.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Delivered new to Pininfarina for conversion to RHD for the Royal Garage of Brunei but conversion NOT executed, registered on Brunei license plates “BP 76”, sold 1998 to Paul Osborn's Cars International Associated, England, who in mid-1998 sold it to Dick and John Marconi, Newport Beach/CA/USA.
    2016 with Tony Denny’s Gosford Classic Car Museum, NSW, Australia.

Marcel Massini

4. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Thanks Marcel, does anyone know where the car has been serviced or if the 1815 kms are genuine etc?

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Call Marconi Collection in Newport Beach.

Marcel Massini

6. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    I've sent them and everyone else an email asking a few questions.

7. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's what I was thinking...

And then suddenly not very strange. ;)

>8^)
    ER

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I'd be nervous of the miles without any paperwork. I guess everything depends on the condition of the car; the smallest items (like is the torch working properly), the ancillary items (flight box etc.) and of course the price. Hope it works out for you. I adore mine.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You have lots of places to look - assuming a pre-production F50 is/was ever even equipped with books; I imagine Marcel Massini knows that answer.

As for this car and its service records - I'd be surprised if the Sultan kept any records. But, after he sold it, it went a few different places. After the Sultan sold it, it went to Paul Osborn's Cars International Associated in England, so they might have some records. Then a friend of mine saw it, 25 August 2007, at Cars & Coffee in Southern California. It was spotted again in SoCal, 22 January 2012, likely displayed by Marconi. I saw it, 23 June 2010, at the St. Regis Monarch Bay Resort in Dana Point, CA, during the 31st Annual Dana Point Concours e'Elegance, where it was on display courtesy the Marconi Museum. Then it was for sale at Dutton Garage of Australia, 10 April 2015, with 1,806 KM.

That's the last I heard of it until now - can you disclose its current location?

10. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    It's currently owned by the Gosford Museum.

I've had a response from Paul Osborn whom purchased it as a new car in 97, then sold it to the Marconi museum then he bought it back from them in 2015.

Missy from the Marconi Automotive Museum said they didn't perform any services to the car whilst it was in their care.

I'm just trying to piece the puzzle before making a final descision.

Still working out the value of the vehicle without the books vs with the books.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The fact that Marconi owned the car for 17 years and didn't perform any service work to it is worth consideration.

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #13 Peloton25, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The carbon trim panel with the F50 logo and Cavallino Rampante emblem that bridges the two intake manifolds appears to be missing.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    It's currently pulled apart for inspection and its receiving a $25k major service as we type...

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thought that might be the explanation.

Also appears that the emergency soft top isn't present behind the seats.

>8^)
    ER

15. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Missing CF luggage container over front battery. Do you have the Barchetta roof, hardware and large roof storage box?

Seats look like they need refurbishing.

16. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Yes, it has the storage box, soft top roof, roll over hoops and all the hardware including all the tool kits and bags. The seats need a rejuvenation, something that my detailer can do.

17. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

You may want to check that the intake manifolds are original. On the photo, they look either painted or different material - could be just the lighting. Also, is the front compartment photo taken after the front under tray has been pulled off?
    Also, worth checking for sticky switchgear.

18. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The intake manifolds are all original, it's just the lighting. Yes the undertrays have been taken off so all pics were taken after that to inspect the condition underneath. All the switch gear appears to be fine, tried all of them and luckily they're not sticky, well not yet...

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wish I could say that was unusual.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Does it have original tires with appropriate date codes? Do the wheel retaining nuts or socket look to have been on and of often?

21. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The tyres are also original, the nuts are unblemished.

22. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you know if the car was stored dry? The fuel bladders not being changed for such a long period of time could be a concern if any fuel leaked from them and potentially damaged the carbon tub. I know of one case where this was said to have occurred with a long dormant McLaren F1.

>8^)
    ER

23. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Full attention to all deferred maintenance items could easily run to Euro70,000 and even then you still have a car with no service books, I would at least get it through the Classiche certification process so you have something !! I've seen that car up close and can say it is honest, but that is only opinion and nothing much to back it up. A perfect "no questions" low mileage Euro car that ticks every box would cost you Euro1.7 but then its not in Australia with all associated tax implications. 103033 is a well known car, if you are happy with the price just buy it.

24. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    The original Goodyear tyres must be well past their sell-by-date. When I bought my car I was told Goodyear no longer make the tyres (and they weren't much good anyway). I replaced all them all.