Do the repairs taper off at some point? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Do the repairs taper off at some point?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jana, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I'm thinking about the track thing. Will probably have to wait until fall when we're back from Florida. It's almost water sports time. :)

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm not sure what this means. I have owned and driven some of the most legendary Porsches ever and I would never say what you just said.

Jana, the GT3 is a great car. It's a speed appliance like no other. It's very well built and engineered and you now own a car near the limits of what the 911's rear engined platform is capable. And I really love the color. I think you will really enjoy it. Congratulations.

3. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Thanks! And thanks so much for all your advice. I really appreciated it.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I was complementing porsches... why, what did you think I said? You don't agree that porsches are a "hell of a lot" of fun to drive?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Of course they're fun but I wouldn't say that "Ferraris are pretty to look at" but "Porsches are a hell of a lot of fun to drive."

That directly implies that not only are Ferraris not fun to drive but that they're not meant to be driven and driven properly at that. I don't know what kind of delicate garage queen you have but I have watched guys in their 360s and F430s (and 458s and 488s) run for hours at the track without letting up on those cars and the cars are completely unfazed. If you compare a track oriented Porsche like the 991 GT3 to the equivalent one from Ferrari (like the Speciale), there's not going to be a whole lot of difference what the cars are capable of. They're meant for the same thing.

If you want to know what Porsche does better than Ferrari in that respect is that they use parts that wear much better under track use and are cheaper to replace than Ferraris stuff. But I'm not talking about performance or reliability here, nor am I talking about a track day here or there. I'm talking about doing 25 or 30 track days a year. The Porsche will be cheaper to run over that time and that is something Ferrari needs to remedy, especially if they continue to make cars that are such high hp monsters that the only place to let them use is in a controlled environment.

I will say it again: I love Porsches but I would never say what you said. It's just a nonsensical statement in my world. You'll find lots of guys here with strong, well-maintained, reliable cars that can take all kinds of driving and are anything but just "pretty to look at."

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I don't get it. You barely drive. So now you bought 2 cars that you'll barely ever drive. Whats the point?

7. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    car is passion for lots of us. If not, we would all be driving tesla, or Nissan Leaf!

8. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Wrong. I barely drove the Ferrari because it couldn't remain drivable long enough to put miles on it. I've put almost 900 miles on my Huracan in the first month of ownership.

But to answer your question with the same tone as you asked it.

Whats the point?

Because I can.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    cool, enjoy. Hope this one is more reliable for you.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Back when I owned Ferraris and someone asked why, I always answered by saying because I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW Jana, nobody likes to talk about this, but Ferrari does build lemons. Take a salesman out for a few adult beverages and you'll hear some stories.

BTW, congrats on the GT3. It is a lot of things, but one thing it is not, is an appliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ferraris don't have the durability of porsches... never heard anyone argue otherwise...

A Porsche 911sc at 200k miles is "low mileage." A Ferrari 308 at 200k miles is unheard of...

Ferrari's are fun to drive, but I don't think they are near as durable (maintenance free) as a Porsche. And, if (when) they break, it will be silly expensive.

Most every guy/neighbor etc I know drives their Ferrari occasionally. Usually when its not raining. Usually on side streets, and its never parked anywhere for fear of damage. On the flip side, an equivalent cost GT3 gets thrashed on the track...

Love both brands. But I would never ever drive my Ferrari the way I drive my porche... Not unless I had really really deep pockets and a masochistic streak...

Maybe I am wrong... Our local track has dozens of Porsche track days. 1 Ferrari track day... but lots of Ferrari car shows...

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #163 sherpa23, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Well, a couple of things but in not the right order:

1) You're talking more to the culture of the two respective car ownership experiences than to the cars themselves. I'm not saying that you're summing up those cultures incorrectly but I'm just making clear as to what you're speaking.

2) "Maintenance free" and "durability" are two different things but I think that when you talk apples to apples, i.e. equivalent model to equivalent model, they're not all that different. Remember also that Porsche makes many times more cars than Ferrari does and I know that there are some things related to that that give them an advantage over Ferrari in terms of parts selection and pricing.

3) You're playing to stereotypes with your P/F comparison. Here's a real world response: I had a 308 with possibly 100k on the odo (it was TMU so, you know) and when the person who bought it from me sold it, I was told that a mechanic took covers off and took a detailed look inside the motor and it was one of the best looking motors he'd seen, of any mileage. Now the car was maintained fastidiously for its life which is why I say that "maintenance free" and "durability" are not the same. Anyways, I had an aircooled 964 with similar miles and it needed a top end rebuild at 100k, like most air cooled Porsches do. I think that if you talk to someone like Brian Crall, he can give you stories of well maintained Ferraris owned by properly committed owners with tons of miles.

The issue is not with the cars but with the owners and how they use the cars. And let's face it, a Ferrari isn't built for all days, all places, all conditions like a Porsche 911 is. They have more clearance, more cabin room, etc. and they usually attract much less attention than a Ferrari. That's part of what makes them great. But that's not what you said. You said that "Ferraris are only pretty to look at" but "Porsches are a hell of a lot of fun to drive." Now if you said something like Porsches are more useful at driving in the snow and rain, carrying things home from the hardware store, and being a better all around driver that's also a great sports car, I would agree. I will also say that the 911 has to be the single most successful car model in all of motorsport so it's not like it doesn't perform, either. But it's not that Ferraris are only for show, it's that they're not used as much as they should be for other things.

As I said, if you compare and do apples to apples of equivalent models, you will see they're pretty close although depending on the era, the maintenance needed for the Ferrari can be more.

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's a long time member here, professional Ferrari mechanic, who has often said "if I can't hop in the car and trust it enough to drive across the country, that car will never be in my garage." And he has multiple Italians in his personal garage.

So Jana, I don't blame you one bit. As others have said, perhaps you got a lemon. Very sorry it worked out that way for you, but please do stick around. Your insights and perspective are very refreshing to have here.

Oh, and if you need a break from watersports this summer, take a run down to Sebring with the GT3. I guarantee, it is the most fun you can have in a car without getting in the back seat. :). Hope to see you there one of these days!

Beautiful looking car, BTW...

15. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Thanks! I wish my Ferrari experience had gone better and we really gave it 150%, but apparently, it was just not meant to be. Maybe another time and another model.

We won't bring any of the cars to Florida. No place to keep them, but I will definitely see about getting it on the track. There's supposed to be a new one going in around the DFW area. I would love to get one closer than Cresson. It's a hike from my house.

One of these days, I'll get down to Sebring, probably to have my butt go to sleep for the 12 Hours of Sebring race. :)

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fair enough.

But consider this an open invitation to hop in the passenger seat for a few laps if we're ever there at the same time. It's likely to be the Lotus, though...

17. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I really appreciate it! Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

18. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Shoot, I was going to try and trick you into a trade, I need a new challenge, 308's are to easy.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sorry to see you ditch the 360, but I can't blame you. Life is too short to not drive your car because it's always needing repair (not to mention the cost of same). Hopefully your GT3 isn't one of those recalled ones.

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I don't blame you one iota for pushing that 360 away. I assumed it might just be low oil but for it to spring a leak on the way home, I'd have thought the thing was alive and laughing at me and like you I'd have had the last laugh and would have swapped it too.

I had similar experiences with a VW daily many years ago. VW's are good cars but I got a bad one. I believe a part from the odd design flaw that most bad cars are down to previous bad owners or where they had the car maintained. Lack of use plays a part too I'm sure.

That VW I had, had not been maintained properly but I recall thinking at the time never again. I did buy an Audi A4 after it, which is basically the same car. It was not perfect but was fine.

Loved the Porsche BTW. I would like a 911 (amongst a list of several other cars) for a daily.

21. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Yeah, I still don't know what the story was on the car but I don't care anymore. It was a huge relief to trade it. I am loving the GT3. What a great car! I can't believe it took me this long to get one.