360 ECUs | FerrariChat

360 ECUs

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aintqik, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aintqik

Aintqik Karting

Mar 15, 2017
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    RJ Cilurso
    I've found a new to me problem into new to me 360. In the rain, one of the banks misfires and shuts down. Easily cleared but I suspect I have an ECU that is going bad or corroded. I will of course check the normal things like grounds and pins.

Having said that for the sake of learning, can you get a used ECU and swap it into the car? I suspect not as the immobilized and all that are married no? Any thoughts or experience?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, you can get a used ECU, swap your left ECU for your right ECU, and put the new used one on the left. The Alarm ECU only looks at the code in the right ECU. No code and it imprints the one the Alarm ECU sends it.

3. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Hmm, as you surmise, it could be a simple as a bad ground issue.

i'd recommend that first you;
    remove both ECUs
    scothbright the mounting "pads"
    ensure the bottom of the ECUs where they mount to the pads is not corroded.
    reassemble and test.

The ECUs ground through their cases to the pads.

Above is Modena specific advice, I think the convertibles have separate ground straps which might cause a similar problem if they are poorly grounded.

good luck

Craig

4. Aintqik

Aintqik Karting

Mar 15, 2017
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    RJ Cilurso
    #5 Aintqik, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    I checked over the car and saw no immediate cause for concern such as frayed wires or anything out of place as in some of the other threads.

I swapped ECUS making sure the grounds ere good and clean as suggested above and the random misfire moved banks with the ECU.

So, safe to say I need an ECU? As you all said I can keep my good one in the right hand spot and not have issues. But what happens if that right one ever goes bad? Does it print the used one with the right code and it can now be used in the right position?

Sources for reliable ECUS? Do I need to look for anything specific, F1 car, year etc?

Also, to add for troubleshooting when the car is going to misfire, it will have a hard time starting. Hard starts go along with the misfires. sometimes it starts fine, other times it will make a clicking sound like the battery is dead. it can be all clicking and no start, or clicking in between cranking where it will eventually start. The mechanic in me is telling me based on the rest of what I know the ECU maybe causing a misfire during crank which makes it a difficult start. But I dunno. I can't see how the misfire is following the ECU and it NOT be an ECU but, this is a Ferrari! Any help is appreciated.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have two blank ecu's. They just require someone to program. Brand new never installed.

R