How to put the Cali in Park | FerrariChat

How to put the Cali in Park

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jadenguyennn, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Hi everyone, so I finally got my Cali '14 today. And I'm still struggling with this beast.
    So when I start the car, on the dashboard, there's "Hold". I don't know what it is.
    Also, I still can't find the P (Park) button to put the car into Park, except for the emergency brake, and the AUTO PARK (ON/OFF).
    So I put the car to Neutral, then I just pulled the emergency park brake on, then turned the car off, for now. I need help as soon as possible. Thanks.

2. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    When you turn off the engine when in gear, the transmission will automatically go into Park. "Hold" is the same as in all modern automatics. It means that it protects the car from rolling away. Just select the gear you want, and drive off.
    When the car is in neutral you manually have to select Park with the Park lever. In my 2010 California this is located left from the steering wheel. I can't remember if it is in the same location on the 2014 California T.

3. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Let's say I want to turn off the car, I should just leave it as Neutral and turn it off?
    And let's say, I want to stop the car for like 3 to 5 minutes without turning it off, do I just put it in "Hold"? And how do I go back to "Hold"?

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Did you check the owners manual yet ?

Maybe the section about page 52 (or 171 if a T) titled turning off the engine (& stopping the car just above it)

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton

You don't have to turn it in neutral first. Just turn the key. It will automatically go to park.
    And, like in all modern automatics, when in neutral pull the park lever to put the car in hold. When you want to drive off, put it in gear and drive off.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

6. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Where is the park lever located?

7. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I agree with Greyboxer. This gets a bit silly. Grab the manual and read it, or call your dealership and ask for a proper introduction to the car.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I turn the key to position zero, remove it, then pull the parking lever, which is to the left of the dash and lower down. I then reverse the sequence to start.

The online owner's manuals are kindly provided by Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale. It's PDF.

https://www.ferrarifl.com/owner-manuals.htm

I have my manual uploaded to iBooks on my iPhone, so I can keyword search and look at it if any questions arise while I'm out and about. At a minimum, read chapter 2, Quick Reference Guide, as it'll give you an overview of the basics, and will increase your enjoyment of the Cali.

Definitely, talk to your dealer, and don't be shy about asking for a "shake down" cruise. Ferrari have quirks in their operation & there's a lot of power in that engine, so you wanna be confident behind the wheel. Even though I didn't buy my Cali there, Steve Fordham of Boardwalk Ferrari here in Dallas was nice enough to go on a quick drive with me and show me the basics of Cali operation. Even if you've driven lots of cars, Ferrari does things differently and so it takes a while to get used to.

Finally, free advice, don't take your car out of automatic mode until you're used to the vehicle steering and handling dynamics, and power. Perhaps even sign up for a track day. Once you're used to it more, then find a nice tunnel and use the flappy paddles!

Best of luck.

T

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, I had to ask the same thing and got the same wishy washy bad answers! just don't assume it will go in park, I had it try to roll off on me. :D

simply pull the Park tab that is lower left from steering wheel, good thing car has automatic release when you want to take off again.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Mine still tricks me from time to time. As others have said, just pull up and shut the car off, remove the key and you're in park. At a standstill, pull both paddles then the parking brake tab on the lower left. It's confusing because the car will say "HOLD" until you open the door, at which point it will say "PARK." If you don't have your foot on the brake when you pull the parking tab it will warn you to depress the brake and that's when it gets more confusing.

These things drive me crazy, my wife's BMW has that electronic lever to put the car in park or reverse and it's never intuitive. I'm glad the Macan I lease has the old-school shift lever.

11. Flashash

Flashash Rookie

Jan 20, 2017
    UK
    It does get some getting used to. I just switch off in 1st now, never use the parking brake. From memory, I think if you switch off in Neutral, it will go into park after a few seconds.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Exactly. Forget f1 to manual conversion, someone figure out how to retrofit a mechanical parking brake!
    T

13. sentrazac

sentrazac Rookie

May 21, 2016
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Zac
    Don't turn the car off while it is still in Reverse gear though. This has caused issues with check lights and such. Just make sure it's in first gear and turn the key off with your foot in the brake. It will automatically go to P.

14. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Thanks everyone. Yeah so I tried what you suggested and here's what I did:
    - I put the car in Neutral then I pull the Park brake, then I turned the key off. After a few seconds, it went to P.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Leave it in 1st or reverse. Don't bother to put it in Neutral! Turn off the key ... it goes into Park. It really is that simple, don't make it more difficult. After 3 Calis and 2 FFs both with DTC, they are all the same.

If you put in Neutral then shut down it will try to go into the Car Wash mode which is stupid because if you are putting you car into a car wash then you are (pardon the expression) stupid. Car washes destroy your paint job, simple as that.

16. jadenguyennn

jadenguyennn Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jade Nguyen
    Seriously? Thank you!

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not to mention that in Car Wash mode, the car will roll away!

18. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    To Funny
    Omg - thank god most of you have suffered like i have

Neutral, omg how does it go in park or hold

Omg why does it always go to car wash mode

My dealer said, mate just keep your foot on the brake and turn it off
    Don't go to N

Lol

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. That's what I do. I've only put it N once. I still have no clue who thought an electronic parking brake button was a good idea versus a mechanical one...Is parking brake employed? Hmm. Look down - is it standing erect? If yes, then you're good to go. No crazy buttons, did I pull the P level? Do I put in N? Ugh. Even though I'm a scientist, technological advances bug the heck out of me sometimes! ;)
    T