328 burning smell | FerrariChat

328 burning smell

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike, Mar 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I started my 86 328 today and upon start up I heard a slight 'whine' & it stopped after a few seconds....while it was warming up in my garage I noticed light smoke coming up around the area of the rear bank (the bank on the fuel distributor side I forget if that is the 1-4 or 5-8 bank so I will call it the bank closest to the fuel dist). The smoke was faint but still I noticed it.. The smoke smelled more 'electrical' than burning oil. I shut it off immediately & disconnected the battery. I looked for oil none found on that engine bank. Boots are good on the wheels also - so no "flinging" grease.. I also thought it may have been the alternator, but the smoke was emanating from the area of the rear bank. The belts have been replaced, I thought about a bad AC belt etc. I am just not sure what could be smoking from around that area. I will be getting it towed in asap, but wanted to get some input...

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My guess is it may be the water pump belt. If so, rebuild or replace the pump before it strands you. I think the whining noise is the clue, especially at start up.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Indeed, its not too hard to check the pump from above. Remove the airbox & you can loosen the belt tensioner and grab the pulley on the pump. If you can feel movement then its had it.

4. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Whats weird is the pump is forward from where I noticed the 'smoldering smoke'. I don't have any weeping of coolant at the pump.. also if the pump was weeping/leaking I bet I would smell the coolant, I don't. At first I thought gasket leaking onto exhaust/cat con...but no oil leak.

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    the whining noise seemed to be coming from the area around the rear bank/fuel distributor. I didn't have a stethoscope. but seemed like that's where it was coming from

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    +1 loose belt. An 86 would have 3 right, H2o, alt and AC. Re reading your OP, you said the belts have been replaced, how recent?

7. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Might be the tension on one of the belts isnt quite right after the replacement. My AC belt would squeal from time to time upon start up.

8. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    there a little pulley(bearing ) which is driven by waterpump belt, could be making a noise.

let us know what you find.

9. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Update: the "burning odor " is from the fuel rails! They are pitted and causing the odor.! Never thought of them! Of course they are as rare as hens teeth!

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Fuel rails??

328's don't have fuel rails.

11. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The term "fuel rail" is my term. It's the rails where You can measure co on each bank above the exhaust manifold. Sorry don't have a SPC to reference

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Sampling ports.... and they are prone to rust.

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    "Fuel rail" photos would help here, I believe.

14. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    . Yes sampling ports! Thank you. Darn technical terms.

15. Mktwise

Mktwise Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's your water pump belt. I smoked two of them, I know the squeal and the false hope of it going away after the car warms up. It just means the belt is slowly melting on you and it's not an if but a when question.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can also call it exhaust sampling test tubes. I removed mine (rust) and plugged it to the exhaust manifold.