I've never seen this- Euro/ROW 911, but Porsche COA says Cali emissions | FerrariChat

I've never seen this- Euro/ROW 911, but Porsche COA says Cali emissions

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by andrew911, Mar 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #1 andrew911, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Looks to be a euro/rest of world ("ROW") AKA Grey Market car, but the COA from Porsche notes "California Emissions".

Very strange- euro headlights, side lights in front fenders, shorter euro rear bumperetts, amber turn signals- to me a euro car (I'm always suspect of mileage if the speedometer was changed- not saying that's the case here, but I see many euro cars with the wrong year speedometer- a sign that true miles are unknown without paperwork). My old ROW '78 had the original speedometer was in Kilometers- often euro/ROW cars originally had km vs mph. Maybe this car has emissions that were added for import, but I'm surprised the COA shows that implying it was a US car, intended to be sold in the state of CA? Or a ROW car that was changed at the factory to be US- I've just never seen it.

To me, it's a grey market car so the price is way off (probably way off even off for a US car), but I digress... I'm not affiliated with the seller (in fact he has good ebay ratings!)- just wondering about the car.

1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe | eBay

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

The VIN looks to me to be a US/Canada market VIN. If I recall correctly, most ROW VINs are WPOZZZ (vs WPOAB, where A and B are the body type and engine)

I'd say that very likely someone sourced Euro fenders and lights and added them after the fact.

3. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Maybe someone would change to the amber turning lights, and MAYBE the H4 headlights, but I've never seen anyone in the US add the small lights in the fenders, and I've never seen anyone switch over the rear bumperettes from US to the narrower euro ones (to allow the wide euro license to fit).

The only thing I could maybe think of is if someone bought the car in the US and then either sold it overseas or moved overseas and took the car with them and it was converted to euro spec, and then someone brought the car back to the US and it's being sold now?

I sold my US 1993 911 to someone in Germany (he bought it sight unseen) and he sent me pictures of what they had to do to make it OK to drive in Germany- changed bumpers and other things like the headlights if I recall correctly...

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I just noticed another thing. My 1987 had a cover/undertray under cat if I remember correctly- I don't think it was exposed like this one is...- looks aftermarket vs factory.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it took PNA 3 times to get a correct COA for my speedster.....

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    +1. PCNA sometimes gets the CoA wrong.

However, look at the vehicle history and there is a gap between 1988-2004, and from 04-08. It is possible the car did go to Europe in those years. Another thing to check is the tranny. RoW cars of that vintage had an oil cooler on the tranny.

Something to consider. What does the speedo/odo read in? US is mph/mi, but wouldn't a Canadian car have everything in kph/km? Perhaps, if the car went to Europe, the mph odo was swapped for a kph odo, and when it came back to the US recently, the original mph odo was put back in.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #7 4CamGT, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Euro Cars don't have the US VIN sticker in the driver's door jamb. This one has it. Looks like someone preferred the "Euro" look. The emission/catalyst sticker above the VIN sticker is the type usually on "Tourist Delivery" Porsches of the era.

Freeman

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    All of this detracts from the value of this car. I'd find it more probable that the car was converted to be registered overseas for a period of time and somehow found its way back to the US. I've seen people change things like headlights and rear lenses for a Euro look, but never go through the trouble of changing to the small bumperettes on in place of the US ones. Anything is possible, but it's not probable to me.

The car may be a fine example- just to me it has that grey market feel- which means you pay a discount to market when buying, and get a discount to market when selling in the US.

9. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    All of those changes were popular in the 80's and 90's. That's a North American vin for sure.