Will Williams-Ferrari or McLaren-Ferrari ever happen ? | FerrariChat

Will Williams-Ferrari or McLaren-Ferrari ever happen ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tifoso1, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I became a F1 fan in the early 80's and will always think of Williams and McLaren as rivals, even on the down years.

With Honda's current struggle and the rumor that McLaren is talking to Mercedes and not considering doing their own engines ( McLaren rules out building its own F1 engine amid Honda's struggles - F1 - Autosport ), it got me to wonder if the above will above ever become a possibility. Part of me thinks it is almost sacrilegious should this were to happen, but part of me is very interested in seeing the partnership happen. After all, F1 is a business and in the end of the day, anything can happen.

What does the rest of you think about this ? Please discuss, thanks.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    For many it would be unthinkable, but who knows ...

Ferrari has in the past supplied engines under a different badge, like ACER for the Prost team.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

And Petronas for Sauber.

There's even been a Ferrari-powered "BMW Sauber" in F1

I could see Williams, but I don't think McLaren.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, having said that, Ron Dennis has left McLaren, and he was the one who would have objected to having anything to do with "the bloody red cars".

Zak Brown may be more pragmatic on the subject.

5. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Considering what's happening with McLaren, anything is possible.

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I remember all of those re-badged Ferrari engines. But supplying engines to Prost is one thing, engines to Williams or McLaren is IMO, an entirely different story, officially or re-badged.

Since you have the BMW Sauber in quotation, I think it is safe to say that you are well aware that it was done for monetary reason. Plus Sauber had a history with Ferrari engines in the past before BMW took over the team from Peter Sauber. There are three names in the past that I have a hard time seeing Ferrari engines in, Lotus, Williams and McLaren. I do agree that Williams is most likely out of those three.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    For McLaren it wouldn´t make much sense as they´re selling road cars in the same niche market than Ferrari. About Williams, right now they´ve strong ties with Mercedes through Toto Wolff, so I doubt it could happen, but who knows in the future.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Williams Maserati has a nice sound to it Maclaren Alfa Romeo ?

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There already has been a McLaren/Alfa Romeo, not a great success.

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Mclaren needs to man up and build their owm engines

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Look how quick Red Bull was to dump to Ferrari engines.

Ferrari is not a team for aspiring #1's to have as engine supplier.

Ferrari tends to dial in just enough unreliable, that if you build a better car, Ferrari still beats you.

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Really? Do you remember what year and who were the drivers ? Thanks.

13. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you are confusing with Brabham Alfa Romeo in the end of 70s.

The Alfa Romeo team of the beginning of the 80s had the publicity of Malboro just like Mc Laren but they were two different teams

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No for McLaren - it would undermine their road car division

Yes for Williams. Whilst in the past, they were very strong and often beat Ferrari on track, they are now a faded star and a solid mid pack team, so why not have a Ferrari engine if the deal is right. They would be mad to dump Merc engines though… Especially as they are essentially free given the Bottas trade.

15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    If Ferrari does capitulate, they would only supply the previous generation engine.

Ferrari refused Red Bull Racing their engines, because they knew RBR would leapfrog them (RBR did anyway with their "Trick Suspension").

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I can see Sergio Maccaronni supplying Williams or Mclaren engines badged Alfa Romeo.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, a Ferrari engine on a McLaren would undermine their road car division, but a Mercedes or Honda engine is OK?

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Formally under Ron Denis that would be sacrilege.

Today, who knows?

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mclaren absolutely not. That'll never happen. They compete in road cars and are fierce rivals in F1. That's like Mercedes racing with a BMW engine.

Williams...maybe. Williams is and will be a garagiste.

As mentioned, Ferrari has supplied engines with a different sticker on the engine cover to different teams, but those where all garagistes, very unlikely to challenge.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As I understand the current power-unit supply rules, were Honda to walk away from F1, and McLaren were unable to convince Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari to provide them a power unit for the following season, all three names would be put into a lucky dip, and the name pulled out would have to supply the power-unit.

Were the name pulled out to be Ferrari's, they wouldn't be allowed to refuse to supply McLaren due to contractual obligations, and McLaren would not be allowed to refuse to accept Ferrari power-units as they would not be allowed to compete without them.

So whilst it's highly unlikely in McLaren's case, it's also not impossible!

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So the only way it could happen (realistically) is by luck of the draw, then ;)

22. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Great rule!! The rule makes tremendous amount of sense as it would insure any team to have a engine supplier.

I kind of don't buy the McLaren will not use Ferrari engine because of their road car programs. McLaren is using Honda engines and the NSX can be considered as a direct competitor to their road cars. Mercedes also has plenty of high end road cars, while they may not be mid-engine layout, but they can compete in the same market segment as the McLarens.

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's the idea of the rule, to ensure that no team can be left stranded without an engine supplier.

To be fair, with the new management at McLaren, I could see them actually wanting Ferrari engines because it would be a massive: "THIS IS NO LONGER RON DENNIS' TEAM!" message to the World.

(And it might even convince Ron Dennis to sell up his 25% ownership! ;) )

24. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Ferrari is presently supplying engines for Sauber and Hass

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I forgot about that... it was back in the late 60's with Bruce McLaren... did not work out well... he also used several other engines until he could get a DFV