AC isssues | FerrariChat

AC isssues

Discussion in '360/430' started by Alesnik-MD, Apr 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    AC has not been cooling, so I was going to recharge w/ straight R134a. I don't have the manifold pressure gauges but was going to use a single low pressure gauge. When I connected to the low pressure side, the gauge pegged (maxed out) ie bounced off the "rev limiter" so to speak. Pressure is suppose to be 29-29 psi here. A general (non Ferrari) mechanic suggested the filter is clogged. I think he means the dehydrating filter. Can anyone confirm this? I thought perhaps the AC compressor went bad, but wouldn't that result in low pressure? How can I tell if the compressor is faulty? BTW I am a complete novice in AC repair, but I have a 360 shop manual on PDF as a reference.

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    When you hooked up the single hose and bounced the needle off the "Rev Limiter", was the car running or not? The pressure will equalize between both sides with the car off, so you need to start it up, fan on high, recirculate button on, and I usually have it blowing out the dash vents. Now, if you do that, and you still have the low side maxed out, then you have issues.

3. Alesnik-MD

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    Car had been running w/ AC on max for over 10 minute. recirc button pressed in.

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    car was running when you connected the hose and that's when you saw the pressure spike?

5. Alesnik-MD

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    Yes. car was already running with the air on max. I connected the fitting to the low pressure connector and the needle spiked and bounced around beyond the maximum calibration on the gauge. Is this a clogged/faulty dehydration filter?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the filter is getting blocked then you will feel a temperature difference between the inlet and outlet pipes.
    This is because it usually filters fridge liquid, ie liquid in/ liquid out. As it gets blocked the liquid expands over the filter and the outlet becomes cold , the inlet being just above the outside air temperature.
    If it is blocked then this will reduce the flow of refridgerant in the system and the suction pressure to the compressor will drop, it can be a negative pressure if it is seriously dirty.